[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Portis' status

budlitebrad

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... So taking into consideration the above quote, who's the play here?

Betts?

S.A.?

Cartwright?

I think it's Betts or Portis or nothing. If Betts or Portis can't go, SA and Cartwright likely share reps. Neither SA nor Cartwright would be all that successful to begin with and the fact that they're sharing further negates their value.

Just to confuse things further... from a Washington Times blog

:wacko:

Left, not right, knee for 26

POSTED November 12 2008 8:51 PM BY Ryan O'Halloran

Just getting around to this now, but the Redskins say it's Clinton Portis' left knee -- not his right -- that sustained a sprained MCL against Pittsburgh.

That muddles the picture even more.

Replays clearly show that it was Portis' right knee that was bent in the wrong direction when hit by the Steelers' Troy Polamalu last week. It clearly shows that Portis was favoring his right knee when walking off the sideline. He returned to the game on the next series.

Evidently, that hit didn't hurt his right knee. Somewhere along the line, his left was injured, maybe on the same hit. Portis said he returned to the game from the injury, whenever it happened.

On Monday, Jim Zorn said Portis also sustained a bone bruise on his leg. Maybe the Polamalu hit did that damage. If so, then Portis has TWO bad legs.

My guess, after listening and talking to the important parties (except for Portis) today is that the Redskins hope like all get out Ladell Betts can go and work the run game with Shaun Alexander.

If Portis sits until the Seattle game, that would mean 20 days between games. The Grade 2 sprained MCL is a 2-4 week injury.

Edited by kingfish247

From the Post's Redskins Insider...

Sounds like Betts was limited again with SA taking most of the first team snaps.

:wacko:

No Increase in Optimism on Portis

Coach Jim Zorn said he was hoping for a better report on Clinton Portis today, but the tailback was unable to do much more than get more treatment for his knee sprain. "I was hoping today there would be a little more optimism, but there's not," Zorn said.

Tailback Ladell Betts performed well in practice with a brace on his injured knee. "He made some cuts," Zorn said, hoping that if Portis misses Sunday night's game against Dallas that Betts will be able to start.

Morning Report

:D

The Morning Practice Report

Jason "Jasno" LaCanfora reports from the bubbleless facility:

It's sloppy and ugly out here.

Clinton Portis is nowhere to be seen; Shaun Alexander is working with the first-team offense. Ladell Betts is on the field, but it appears his participation will be limited.

NFL.com is reporting that he most likely WILL NOT play now. Zorn says he probably won't even activate him.

Portis' knee doesn't improve, unlikely to play Sunday

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Clinton Portis' sprained knee showed no improvement Thursday, and the Washington Redskins running back appears unlikely to play in Sunday night's game against the Dallas Cowboys.

The NFL's second-leading rusher left Redskins Park during practice, wearing a gray hooded sweat shirt and burgundy sweat pants as he stepped into his Maserati.

"I was hoping today that there would be a little more optimism, and there's not," coach Jim Zorn said. "He's still questionable. I would say there's no change today. I was looking for another jump, but there wasn't."

Portis sprained his left knee in the 23-6 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers before last week's bye.

With Portis ailing, Ladell Betts appears set to start Sunday. Betts has missed the last three games with a sprained knee, but he was on the field in steady rain for Thursday's practice.

"Betts looked good," Zorn said. "He's got a brace on, but made some cuts. That was encouraging."

Shaun Alexander would start if both Portis and Betts are unable to play.

Zorn also said he doesn't expect defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery (Achilles) to play, and was pessimistic about Marcus Washington (shoulder). He also said he expects Shawn Springs (calf) to be available, but Springs did not practice and said he doesn't expect to practice again Friday. If Springs doesn't play, new signing DeAngelo Hall would have a greater role in his Redskins debut.

Devin Thomas missed practice with an illness. Fellow rookie receiver Malcolm Kelly, who has been battling knee problems all season, practiced but probably won't play Sunday.

"I don't believe I'm going to activate him," Zorn said. "He's so far behind. I'm just glad he's out there."

NFL.com is reporting that he most likely WILL NOT play now. Zorn says he probably won't even activate him.

It would be foolish to take a chance on Portis doing more damage to himself - even if it is the Cowboys, and even if Betts is also dinged up. ESPN's Stephania Bell said the same thing - 2-4 weeks rest for an MCL sprain, and next week would be 20 days.

With Betts no bet (sorry) to play, I think you stay away from Alexander and Cartwright, and find another answer somewhere else.

Portis may be a go, per Washington Post:

Portis Working Out

Portis is doing agility drills on the field right now, working out for trainers.

Portis, who has a tear in his left MCL, is n shorts, cleats and a long sleeved shirt - it's legitimately cold out here tonight - sliding from side to side, doing quick bursts, getting his knees.

Director of rehab Larry Hess and running backs coach Stump Mitchell are the field with Portis, with Coach Jim Zorn and head athletic trainer John Burrell watching about 20 yards away on the sidelines.

Portis has finished the roughly 15-minute workout and is meeting with seven other people on the sidelines, including Zorn, Burrell, director of sports medicine Bubba Tyer. Portis seems to be in good spirits, smiling, walking off the field talking to Zorn.

Collective gut feeling of the schlubs watching this is that No. 26 is playing.

EDIT: Skins radio said Portis will be a go, as well.

Edited by budlitebrad

I have Portis and Betts as well. I have seen this time and time again...a guy is questionable all week then coach says he will get limited action then he goes off for 100 and a td. I gotta go with Portis as well. It would suck to leave MVP on the bench while he goes off. It is either going to be a handful of carries for portis with little to no points and all to betts or Portis is going to go off.

Me thinks the Portis "50/50" call was more smoke and mirrors than anything else, especially w/ the 'Boys coming to town. I'm not saying he's 100%, but if he's 75%, I want him over Betts. (I have Betts, if anybody can talk me into starting him, rather than Portis, in the next ten minutes before my lineups lock...)