[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help me decide on a TV

Chief Dick

Ok, the old lady somehow, miraculously has decided to let me buy a high def TV. So I need to strike while the iron is hot.

Wal-Mart has an ad today (for tomorrow) for a 42" Samsung plasma, but it's a 720p for $698.

They also have a 40" Samsung 40" LCD that's a 1080p for $798.

They also have a 50" Samsung plasma, but it's a 720p, for $798.

Which would you rather have? I really cannot afford more than this, since I know I will have to buy cables and stuff.

What say you?

Edited by Chief Dick

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally prefer LCD over Plasma and I saw the same ad you are talking about. Depending on the size of the room and how far away you will be sitting I would go with the 40" samsung LCD. Bigger is always better but I haven't done much research on the Plasma as of late, I know they used to have a burn-in problem but this could of easily been fixed by now. Hopefully Kid Cid or someone a little more knowledgeable will be around to help out.

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma. Had it for 3 years. Have had not one bit of problem. (Knock on wood.)

Next door people just bought a 42" LCD Samsung and seem really happy with it. Looks okay. Not sure just what the specs are on it though.

I guess I would go with the 40" Samsung 1080p that you have listed.

I'm sure that the purists will show up soon.... but figured I would answer anyway. LOL

First of all, the maker is Samsung so you don't have to worry about buying an off brand. Second of all, bigger is always better. No matter how big you get it, you will get it home and after two weeks you will think you should have gone bigger. Third, go to the store and look at the difference between the plasma and the LCD in picture quality. Get the remote for each TV and turn the contrast down to about half. This is what you'll be seeing when you get the TV home and make the proper adjustments to it. Unless the LCD looks that much better to you, go with the 50".

Personally, I like the 1080p but unless you plan on getting a BlueRay player that supports 1080p, you won't need it. There are no HDTV broadcasts, cable or satellite channels that support 1080p and that will not change anytime in the immediate future.

Bottom line, you'll be happy with whatever you bring home. All of them are pretty decent sets.

First of all, the maker is Samsung so you don't have to worry about buying an off brand. Second of all, bigger is always better. No matter how big you get it, you will get it home and after two weeks you will think you should have gone bigger. Third, go to the store and look at the difference between the plasma and the LCD in picture quality. Get the remote for each TV and turn the contrast down to about half. This is what you'll be seeing when you get the TV home and make the proper adjustments to it. Unless the LCD looks that much better to you, go with the 50".

Personally, I like the 1080p but unless you plan on getting a BlueRay player that supports 1080p, you won't need it. There are no HDTV broadcasts, cable or satellite channels that support 1080p and that will not change anytime in the immediate future.

Bottom line, you'll be happy with whatever you bring home. All of them are pretty decent sets.

If I get the 50" but get a blu-ray player, I assume it will still work fine, just not optimum? And will an average person not really notice?

We hardly watch movies, so it's not a big issue with us.

very good post. especially the bolded section.

CD, I have a Sammy 50 inch 720p plasma and I love it. I also paid much more than the offer you posted. That's a GREAT set for that price.

I linked this in another thread. 42 inch Sharp 1080P for $799 from Dell.

No need to get up early and wait in line. Free 3-5 day shipping as well.

I'm no techie but it has favorable reviews on the site.

I saw that too in an ad today.

That Sharp also has a 3rd HDMI port and an S Video, while the Samsung has 2 HDMI ports and no S Video.

Not sure how important that is, though.

Maybe they have changed.... I don't know 'cuz it has been a few years.... but if I were you I would stay way way far away from any Sharp product. Worst TV I ever bought.

Can't believe that the Sammy doesn't have S-Video. The next door people have it on theirs....but it isn't on the back, it is on the side. I would get the Sammy anyway... sounds like a great deal.

There are no HDTV broadcasts, cable or satellite channels that support 1080p and that will not change anytime in the immediate future.

Dish Network offers 1080p video on demand service

Can't believe that the Sammy doesn't have S-Video. The next door people have it on theirs....but it isn't on the back, it is on the side. I would get the Sammy anyway... sounds like a great deal.

i know not everyone has a BD player or up-converting DVD player...but why would you even think of using S-Video when you are talking about HD. Just wasnt even something i looked for...

I have a 32 inch Sharp Aquos in my office, great picture. Bought it at Dell.

Maybe it's just the techo-geek snob in me but I wouldn't consider anything but a 1080p. If you want to go 720p I like the 50 inch plasma option

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

very good post. especially the bolded section.

CD, I have a Sammy 50 inch 720p plasma and I love it. I also paid much more than the offer you posted. That's a GREAT set for that price.

I don't know. i got a 42 inch tv and i think i got the right size and wouldn't want a bigger tv. i saw Hd cables at either wal mart or target on sale for 9.99 for tomorrow's sale - can't remember which store.

I braved the Black Friday crowds to find my TV - no luck. :D I didn't find anything I know was a steal.

I did look seriously ad Sammy and Panny plasmas for the first time and liked what I saw, though most were 720p in the range I want to spend. They did have two 50" Sammys next to each other - one 720p and 1 1080p - there wasn't much difference. :wacko: Are you only going to see a difference with Blu Ray?

I braved the Black Friday crowds to find my TV - no luck. :D I didn't find anything I know was a steal.

I did look seriously ad Sammy and Panny plasmas for the first time and liked what I saw, though most were 720p in the range I want to spend. They did have two 50" Sammys next to each other - one 720p and 1 1080p - there wasn't much difference. :wacko: Are you only going to see a difference with Blu Ray?

Pretty much true. But the sets upscale to the native rez. When I looked closely 2 years ago, I saw a slight difference in the color intensity, but that could be due to the store's settings more than the rez diff.

The way I understand it, the only way you're going to achieve true 1080p is with a Blue Ray or HD DVD player connected with HDMI cables. For the majority of your tv watching, it will not be 1080 even if you have a 1080 monitor as most broadcasts are not 1080 at this time. For most people, I dont think they'll be able to really see the difference between 720 and 1080 anyways(as you didnt in the store). So I guess what I am trying to say is dont let the 720 scare you off if you find a deal on one or that is what is in your wheelhouse pricewise. You will likely be very happy with it. I have a Pioneer 720 plasma and it looks great. Hockey, football. action movies...awesome!

Some other good advice from this thread...

-look at the sets in the stores with the brightness turned down(they jack them way up for in store purposes)

-stick with a reputable brand rather than saving a few bucks on an off brand

-get decent to good cables but buy them online(I was told cables are one of the highest marked up items in the retail stores)

Good luck and happy viewing!

So did you get a TV or what?

Huddler minds want to know.

Well, I haven't pulled the trigger yet. :wacko:

Have found a couple deals locally that rival the Wal-Mart deal, so I'm going shopping again today. The more research I do, the worse it gets trying to decide.

Now I'm wondering if I should go LCD or Plasma. I've settled on Samsung as the brand. I'm concerned about the refresh rate of the LCD's only being 60hz in this price range, and since the majority of what we watch is sports, I'm concerned about seeing a blurred image during fast content.

So now the question is: Plasma or LCD?

Well, I haven't pulled the trigger yet. :wacko:

Have found a couple deals locally that rival the Wal-Mart deal, so I'm going shopping again today. The more research I do, the worse it gets trying to decide.

Now I'm wondering if I should go LCD or Plasma. I've settled on Samsung as the brand. I'm concerned about the refresh rate of the LCD's only being 60hz in this price range, and since the majority of what we watch is sports, I'm concerned about seeing a blurred image during fast content.

So now the question is: Plasma or LCD?

LOL Get off the stick my friend and go buy the Plasma. The more research you do the less chance of purchase. All that info just confuses the issue and you end up with no new TV. :D