[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Derrick Ward the next Michael Turner?

FishFreak

A buddy of mine told me Derrick Ward is a free agent next year as well as Brandon Jacobs. It's unlikely the Giants sign both and I'm assuming Ward gets a nice deal with another team to show what he can do. I feel like he would be a great featured RB, has the size to carry most of the load and is an excellent receiver. His game is very similar to Matt Forte. Don't be surprised if this guy blows up next year in the right situation. I personally think he's a better all around RB than Jacobs. Thoughts?

A buddy of mine told me Derrick Ward is a free agent next year as well as Brandon Jacobs. It's unlikely the Giants sign both and I'm assuming Ward gets a nice deal with another team to show what he can do. I feel like he would be a great featured RB, has the size to carry most of the load and is an excellent receiver. His game is very similar to Matt Forte. Don't be surprised if this guy blows up next year in the right situation. I personally think he's a better all around RB than Jacobs. Thoughts?

If I had to pick which RB is better/ more valuable, I would have to say Jacobs by a landslide. It is easier to find a RB who has the measurables of Ward but not so easy to find a tank like Jacobs. The only problem I would have is that you cant feature Jacobs as the only back. Giving him 20-25 carries a game may wear down the big guy so you need a guy like Ward or Bradshaw to compliment him. The same is not the case with Ward, I can see a team making him the workhorse but dont be surprised if he doesnt get the 4th and 1 when needed.

I'd be curious to hear some of the reasoning behind your argument. Jacobs is producing better numbers running the ball, and Ward is putting up decent numbers as a backup. I'd say that Ward's success is due in part to his talent, in part to the Giants' ability to run the ball so well, and in part to Jacobs carrying the main load and allowing Ward to be used in spot duty.

Ward's ypc drops from its gaudy 4.8 ypc this year and last to 4.47 ypc when you look at his career ypc when he gets 12 or more carries in a game. It drops even further to 4.25 ypc when you look at his career games with 16 or more carries in a game - and both of those have a huge outlier of his 24 carries for 154 yds vs CHI in '07 boosting those numbers significantly. And his 4.8 ypc this year & last is lower than Jacobs' 5.0 ypc in both years even though Jacobs carries a substantially greater proportion of the load.

I don't see the similarity to Forte's game at all, and think that Ward would work well in a RBBC but may struggle as a featured RB. Forte is proving to be a do-it-all every down RB as opposed to Ward's use-in-moderation ability.

It's unlikely the Giants sign both

Well something tells me the Giants will have a good deal of cap space to play with pretty soon...resigning both now is not out of the question. The big thing is does Ward want to go? One would think yes, as he could get a starting gig...but noone even sniffed at him last year, restricted or not his tender wasnt that much.

Well something tells me the Giants will have a good deal of cap space to play with pretty soon...resigning both now is not out of the question. The big thing is does Ward want to go? One would think yes, as he could get a starting gig...but noone even sniffed at him last year, restricted or not his tender wasnt that much.

They will not sign both even with cap room. Ward will not be a Giant next year IMO. Bradshaw will take over to compliment Jacobs.

I know I'll be in the minority here and thats ok cause I"m used to it on the following matter. I think Bradshaw is a better RB than Ward and I'll be happy to see Ward pack his bags next year and open the door for Ahmad.

I happen to agree with you and like Bradshaw's complimentary abilty to Jacobs talents also. I understand why Coughlin likes & uses Ward - the Giants are simply grinding opponents into submission, and personally I love those kinds of teams. But I agree that some team will take a chance on Ward filling a larger role and will be willing to give him more money than NY wants to spend on its RBs overall, especially given Ward's age. Bradshaw has proven that he can be very useful and capable in spot duty in tandem with Jacobs with some occassional heavier workloads, and I'd like to see him as the primary backup to Jacobs myself.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I know I'll be in the minority here and thats ok cause I"m used to it on the following matter. I think Bradshaw is a better RB than Ward and I'll be happy to see Ward pack his bags next year and open the door for Ahmad.

Same here. I think Ward is more a product of a great offensive line & Jacobs softening the D up. He's good as a change of pace back, but I really don't see him taking over as a full time starter anywhere. If Jacobs doesn't move to New Orleans :wacko:, I think it will be the Jacobs/Bradshaw show next season.

Overall as a unit, the Giants O-line is the best in the NFL IMO. Therefore, this group makes all three Giant RB's look good especially since they are committed to pounding the ball. Jacobs is clearly a beast but as MrTed has pointed out, his running style is not condusive to running 20-25 times per game and the Ginats know this. That's why they are careful with him and make sure Ward get's 10-15 touches per game. Jacobs ankles, shins, knees and thighs can only take so much of a pounding. To be fair, very few RB's now a days can get thru 300+ carries a year without getting nicked up hence so many RBBC's. So let's be clear, the combination of the Giant O-line, and each RB's role/touches they receive, each make them very effective. There is no doubt Jacobs makes Wards touches easier and Bradshaw benefits from worn down D's softened up by Jacobs and Ward. Take away one of the three amigos and the Giants running game probably won't be as effective next year.

I just think Ward is the most complete back that can do everything pretty well. True at 29 next year, he may not get many big money offers but he just might get a couple. I'm sure he would love the opportunity at being a featured RB. He doesn't have a lot of mileage and in the right system he has all the skills to be a solid fantasy RB2. Cincy, Denver, Seattle and Arizona could all use an upgrade at RB. I personally think he would be awesome in Philly, Indy, Houston & New Orleans but Westy, Addai, Slaton and Bush are clearly in the plans. He might also be brought into a team to get 50% of the touches and have a highly effective RBBC.