[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Country Music is Horrible

Egret

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess, kinda like being a 40 yr. old busboy. :wacko::D

See, that's funny. Not your stupid and played joke but the fact that, right after GOP Senators and Televangelists, among the guys I'd be least surprised to see get outed by a spurned call-boy is a dude like Toby Keith. Just sayin'. Sing about putting a boot up people's asses enough, might mean you're not telling us everything.

See, that's funny. Not your stupid and played joke but the fact that, right after GOP Senators and Televangelists, among the guys I'd be least surprised to see get outed by a spurned call-boy is a dude like Toby Keith. Just sayin'. Sing about putting a boot up people's asses enough, might mean you're not telling us everything.

Sounds like you have some knowledge on the subject.

Oh, and...a freaking idiot eh?

:wacko: <-clicky

Edited by Front Row

So, thinking Toby Keith is a freaking idiot means you're ghey?

No, thinking Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Waylon Jennings, Dwight Yoakam, and Johnny Cash suck nuts means you're a moron.

New country I admittedly have no use for. But dismissing whole genres (except maybe New Age) wholesale is pretty narrow-minded.

I concur...how many times can your wife leave you, kick your dog and complain about some other hick thing all at once?....

There are a handful of lyricists in the "rock" milieu who consistently knock it out of the park. The rest are more or less pudknockers.

In popular music, it's more about delivery and the total presentation than about the lyrics as a stand-alone entity.

Take this Dwight Yoakam song:

Two doors down there's a jukebox

That plays all night long

Real sad songs

All about me and you

Two doors down there's a barmaid

That serves 'em real strong

Here lately

That's how I make it through

Two doors down there's a heartache

That once was my friend

Two doors down there's a memory

That won't ever end

Two doors down there's a barstool

That knows me by name

And we sit there together

And wait for you

Two doors down there's a bottle

Where I take out my shame

And hold it up

For the whole world to view

Two doors down there's a pay phone

But no calls come in

That won't ever end

From the hotel to the barroom

Is just a stumble and a fall

And sometimes when it gets bad

I've been known to crawl

Freedom from sorrow

Is just two doors away

I'll escape for a short time

But I know I can't stay

Two doors down is where they'll find me

When you're finally through

Taking what's left of my life

Two doors down is where they'll leave me

When payment comes due

For the hours I've spent there each night

Two doors down I'll be forgotten

But until then

That won't ever end

Pretty trite and predictable, all things told. But listen to Yoakam sing it on the unfortunately-named dwightyoakam@acoustic.net and if you come back and say it "sucks," I'll pay you $10.*

* - seriously.

My wife really likes country and I started to listen to it about 7 months or so ago.

I kinda like it.

Think I just got tired of the new rock coming out......

Music as a whole is much worse than it ever was. And it all stems from money and record labels - they want the 'musicians' (and note that I'm using that term very loosely) to put out CDs as fast as possible to keep the stream of income solid. They don't care about the art and inspiration behind great music.

I have to say, while I like a country song here and there, on the whole I think it's pretty bad. Yea, it may be about boozing and sexing, which we all love, but it has no artistic substance.

The good thing is that real music still exists, you just have to look harder than you did before. I really wish I could have grown up in the 60's or 70's, because there were so many legends and great artists in such a short time span. Perhaps it had something to do with those psychedelic drugs.. :wacko:

Oh, and...a freaking idiot eh?

:wacko: <-clicky

:D Well played. Though I'm rather certain that no candidate for higher office is going to get far relying solely on the smart vote.

No, thinking Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Waylon Jennings, Dwight Yoakam, and Johnny Cash suck nuts means you're a moron.

New country I admittedly have no use for. But dismissing whole genres (except maybe New Age) wholesale is pretty narrow-minded.

FWIW, I've got a pretty good sampling of most of those you mentioned. I also concur that the words can seem trite but just about perfect given the delivery. The Distance Between You and Me by Yoakam being another great example.

Dwight ain't country, he's rock-a-billy. And he rocks.

Maybe you're right, but I wouldn't be sure, nor am I all that interested in splitting that hair.

I have Sirius radio on in my classroom during the day. We listen to the acoustic channel or the spa channel most of the time. Very mellow and relaxing. With classroom dollars, students can buy lots of different things or privileges. Each student earns a dollar a day if his classroom job is done and all of his work is done. Usually they buy game passes or Jolly Ranchers. Not today.

Today a student spent $5 on a radio pass. I'm stuck listening to country all day. I can feel myself getting dumber. :wacko:

Could've been worse, he coulda picked ©rap.

And I think some of it has entertainment value at least. I mean how can you not like "tequila makes her clothes fall off" :D

Music as a whole is much worse than it ever was.

well duh. But most people nowdays would just dismiss you as a dinosaur who thinks everything was better in the old days, etc etc :wacko:

I really pity kids growing up now. They are surrounded by crappy music, crappy TV, and zombie out on video games way too much. Seems most of their sports have to be these highly organized, formalized leagues vs just going out back or some nearby lot and just playing. Sad.

well duh. But most people nowdays would just dismiss you as a dinosaur who thinks everything was better in the old days, etc etc :wacko:

I really pity kids growing up now. They are surrounded by crappy music, crappy TV, and zombie out on video games way too much. Seems most of their sports have to be these highly organized, formalized leagues vs just going out back or some nearby lot and just playing. Sad.

There is plenty of good music out there now if you look for it.

And there was plenty of terrible mindless pop out there back in the day too.

Most people just stop hunting for the good new music because they are satisfied with what they've already got... and the only new stuff they hear is pop music and in commercials, and they assume it's all terrible.

Most people just stop hunting for the good new music because they are satisfied with what they've already got... and the only new stuff they hear is pop music and in commercials, and they assume it's all terrible.

truth

Well it never made me want to change my wardrobe to flannel (that is what was great about Nirvana, right? Or am I remembering that post from a ~year ago wrong? Did they have any musical talent? I can't remember), but I liked country music in the 90's. Country music in the last several years is, as was stated earlier, just the new pop music. An occasional good song, but mostly not very good (I think "not very good" is in fact the definition of "pop music")

I'll say this: chicks at the country bars back then wore cowboy boots, short skirts, and, if I was really lucky, a cowboy hat and bolo tie!

+1

[ b] personal fav :wacko:

oh, and by the way.....Fortune magazine,

~While record companies don't break out financials for their Nashville divisions, one major country label is poised to earn roughly $40 million on revenue of close to $120 million this year, or a hefty 33 percent profit margin, according to a source familiar with the label's finances. By contrast, this source said, a rock label would be "thrilled" to earn a 15 percent margin.~

oh yeah its dumb?....dumber than a ca$h cow.

Fortune

Yep.

I kinda lean the other way - with inexpensive recording programs like ProTools and streaming radio and MySpace, it's EASIER than ever to find and hear new music. As far as popular music goes, IMO there's always been tons of chaff you need to get through to find the wheat anyway.

One thing I swore I'd fight against was the ossification of my musical taste....maybe I'm not doing so well, since I had Catherine Wheel and UFO in my car's CD player this week (hey, they were new to me).