[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some basic home improvement projects

darin3

I posted this in Robash's thread but figured I'd need my own thread so there'd be no more hijacking Robash, since I'm sure nuke will need plenty of posts to tell me what a schitty job we did. :D

Anyways, I built a workbench several months ago... here, here and here... ... Been real handy to go out to the garage and fix and build stuff. I failed to include my big rolling tool cabinet, which is to the right of the bench and is holding my circular saw and a bunch of other tools, etc.

The wife and I re-did one of our bathrooms with some nice travertine and glass tile. The vanity top is old and schitty; that and the vanity itself are next to go. Here are some pics: uno, dos, tres and cuatro ...

I've never been "handy" but am trying to learn as much as I can. We'll be replacing our sliding glass door in a few weeks, barring weather issues. That should be fun. :wacko:

Good luck with the door man. I hear those things are a bitch for the inexperienced. Nice pics.

:wacko: That's exactly what I've heard, and my wife doesn't believe me. She thinks all these things are easy as pie 'cuz her grampa, who's this old-school southern man who has built like 5 houses, says they are. :D I'm screwwed.

Fortunately, we have a friend who's considering going into the handyman business on the side who said he's gonna help us out. He came over one night and helped me level out our front door and replace part of the frame/jamb that had warped out a bit.

Going back to the slider... wife's grampa said it's as easy as just unscrewwing the screws, pulling off the old tracks, having someone hold the door and glass as it comes down, and popping the new one into place.... :D Of course, there will be leveling issues but I think it's like changing a tire: you just screw in a corner to hold in place, then the opposite corner, then another corner, etc. etc.... then tighten all in order... We shall see.

The tile looks great, Darin! That basketweave glass had to be a bitch to grout........LOL. :D

It came in strips, we didn't have to do each individual piece... but you probably knew that :wacko: ... but still, it wasn't easy. The wife is a tiling machine.

We went through like 4 colors for paint. We wanted a real, real light green but it looked way too minty.

Pics look nice. Looks like you did a fine job. Doors are a bitch according to almost every contractor that I have ever spoke to and the reason that I have spoken to a lot of them is because I used to work in a door "manufacturing" company. I mean I worked for a company that took door blanks and built them into pre-hung doors of all sorts.

Now what working at that company taught me was that many contractors that build houses from the ground up don't want to have anything to door with hanging the doors in those houses. I know this because I worked as many "side" jobs as I wanted hanging doors in some pretty damn up-scale houses that were built but some of the areas top contractors. :wacko:

I personally never had a problem hanging a door. Make sure you have plenty of shims and know how to use a level and have at it. Caulking is your friend and the trim will hide your friend that fixed the areas that you have to shim. Just make sure that you don't open the door while you are getting is plumb and level. Opening the door throws everything off kilter.

Or, send me a plane ticket and we will install a great drunken door together.

Sliders.......ugh. We had one "professionally installed" at the condo. It was a high quality door. After the guys were done......the slider worked fine. But when you went to slide back the screen door, it was like a comedy......lol. Open it and it would roll right out of the frame and fall onto the patio......lol. Apparently they got the door just slightly out of square. Not enough to affect the door operation.....but enough that the screen door was useless. :wacko:

:wacko: That's exactly what I've heard, and my wife doesn't believe me. She thinks all these things are easy as pie 'cuz her grampa, who's this old-school southern man who has built like 5 houses, says they are. :D I'm screwwed.

Fortunately, we have a friend who's considering going into the handyman business on the side who said he's gonna help us out. He came over one night and helped me level out our front door and replace part of the frame/jamb that had warped out a bit.

Going back to the slider... wife's grampa said it's as easy as just unscrewwing the screws, pulling off the old tracks, having someone hold the door and glass as it comes down, and popping the new one into place.... :D Of course, there will be leveling issues but I think it's like changing a tire: you just screw in a corner to hold in place, then the opposite corner, then another corner, etc. etc.... then tighten all in order... We shall see.

Report back on this please!