[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's the chance that Who Killed the Electric Car

detlef

No, I haven't watched the movie. I figured it would be another of those "carburetors that allow engines to get 100 mpg" hack-jobs. And I don't doubt that there's something to the oil company buying the battery - that wasn't what I was arguing about. I can see a profit motive there (for the oil company to buy the battery). But I just can't buy GM (who could care less how their cars are powered if they can sell them profitably) killing a project that would make them money, as well as establishing them as the leader in the market.

Great, then your opinion means even less. Now, you can write that off as me dismissing your thoughts because they're not the same as mine, or you can go back and read the first post where I questioned how credible we should see this movie as. I guess I thought I would be hearing from those who'd actually seen the movie for themselves and perhaps had other perspectives to add. Again, I should have assumed that I'd also hear from the likes of you as well who were just looking to swing their d!ck around.

Great, then your opinion means even less. Now, you can write that off as me dismissing your thoughts because they're not the same as mine, or you can go back and read the first post where I questioned how credible we should see this movie as. I guess I thought I would be hearing from those who'd actually seen the movie for themselves and perhaps had other perspectives to add. Again, I should have assumed that I'd also hear from the likes of you as well who were just looking to swing their d!ck around.

I don't want to hurt anybody! :wacko:

Edited by westvirginia

He knows without having to read it.

The movie makers were trying to make their point but much of what they said did happen.

GM and the oil companies did help remove electric buses and mass transit early in this century. GM bought up a lot of start up electric car companies so they could fold them. They lobbied for oil subsidies so they could sell their SUV's.

Imagine where we'd be if the policies that started after the oil embargo weren't folded in the 1980's. 40+ years have passed since the embargo and where are we now?

How much does oil really cost? You have to factor in military expenses in the gulf.

As for the movie if interested check what they said. Wiki has some rebuttals.

He knows without having to read it.

The movie makers were trying to make their point but much of what they said did happen.

GM and the oil companies did help remove electric buses and mass transit early in this century. GM bought up a lot of start up electric car companies so they could fold them. They lobbied for oil subsidies so they could sell their SUV's.

Imagine where we'd be if the policies that started after the oil embargo weren't folded in the 1980's. 40+ years have passed since the embargo and where are we now?

How much does oil really cost? You have to factor in military expenses in the gulf.

As for the movie if interested check what they said. Wiki has some rebuttals.

Can anyone imagine Randull and detlef in a room together? There's not enough cheese in France to go with all that whine...

Can anyone imagine Randull and detlef in a room together? There's not enough cheese in France to go with all that whine...

Of course, unlike some, Randall has never made light of a fellow huddler being out of work (due to injury I might add), so there's that.

WV you're a poor mans Moneymakers.

Pennymakers?

Oh :wringshands: whatever shall I do? I'm being attacked by the out of work deadbeat who lives in his mom's basement with her six cats and the toastmaker who was such a self-important ingrate he bitched publicly on a message board about the gift his employee decided to give him for Christmas.

:wacko:

Oh :wringshands: whatever shall I do? I'm being attacked by the out of work deadbeat who lives in his mom's basement with her six cats and the toastmaker who was such a self-important ingrate he bitched publicly on a message board about the gift his employee decided to give him for Christmas.

:wacko:

I live in my Mom's basement and Detlef has a restaurant where all they serve is toast?

Nice. What a classy guy.

if something works, and you people want it, it will succeed.

Hence, Obama. :wacko:

I find it funny how the same guys who would laugh at a government conspiracy will insist there has to be one in corporate instances, and vice-versa.

If there's money to be made providing a product that satisfies a consumer need, that niche will be filled.

Calling wiegie!

If you're calling in an economist to testify to the argument that GM makes smart and profitable business decisions... now may not be the best time. Seriously.

Actually, at least in the past, I believe that a lot of potential technology was bought up and buried to protect the pockets of big oil. It was not in their best interest to allow the technologies to advance.

Today, I think "big oil" looks at itself as much as "big energy" and is reading the writing on the wall, realizing that the time for alternate energy sources is here and isn't going away. They have the financial power to invest in research and development like no other. I can't see them ignoring the possible monopolization of as many energy sources as possible. If not for their earlier intervention, I think these technologies would be much further developed today than they are.

T.Boone Pickens fits this image rather well.

BTW, why is it that a gallon of milk costs more than a gallon of gas? :wacko:

I mean, even when gas prices were jacked WAY up because of wall street speculators, the price of gas barely surpassed milk. If gas is in such limited supply and you think about how incredibly difficult it is to process to extract, why is simply milking a cow (that is a regenerating resource) and selling it so much more expensive?

Big Oil?? How about Big Dairy?? Geez.

T.Boone Pickens fits this image rather well.

BTW, why is it that a gallon of milk costs more than a gallon of gas? :wacko:

I mean, even when gas prices were jacked WAY up because of wall street speculators, the price of gas barely surpassed milk. If gas is in such limited supply and you think about how incredibly difficult it is to process to extract, why is simply milking a cow (that is a regenerating resource) and selling it so much more expensive?

Big Oil?? How about Big Dairy?? Geez.

And why is diesel so much more than unleaded. They used to be about the same.

Milk-I believe there are a lot of subsidies keeping the prices low. When I was in Canada it was a lit higher. Why is fish so expensive? There are expenses with boats, nets, etc but no land costs.

I think oil companies are trying to re-write their image I'm not so sure they are delving into alternative energies just yet. It may just be PR.

I do like Pickens' plan though.

Milk versus gas? Seriously?

I would assume A) the cost of making & packaging an edible product is at least as high as processing petroleum OR B ) the fact milk spoils after two weeks would mean a LOT gets thrown out.

Gas doesn't spoil, nor does it need a package for each individual gallon. Or refrigeration. :wacko:

Edited by cre8tiff

Milk versus gas? Seriously?

I would assume A) the cost of making & packaging an edible product is at least as high as processing petroleum OR B ) the fact milk spoils after two weeks would mean a LOT gets thrown out.

Gas doesn't spoil, nor does it need a package for each individual gallon. Or refrigeration. :wacko:

Exactly, nobody has any real reason to know why either milk or gas should cost more than the other. They're just both liquids that many people use, so they make for, yet another convenient comparison for people to randomly point to that actually means nothing. We just love to have something to point to even if we don't know why we're pointing or what we're pointing at. It's like our fixation with stats and numbers.

"Did you know that 30% of Americans blah, blah blah?"

OK, should I be concerned by that number? Should it be lower? Higher? Did you just pull some number out of your ass to freak me out? Do you have any freaking idea what you're talking about or did you just hear this on Rush Limbaugh or Air America and acted as they suggested you act?

this is kind of silly. yeah, we've spent millions developing a product that will be profitable for us, but let's hush that up and pretend it won't be profitable so we don't actually have to make those insane profits. that just doesn't make sense on any level.

Well, given where GM has ended up due it's visionary, forward-thinking management, it's entirely possible this actually WAS the thought process.

And why is diesel so much more than unleaded. They used to be about the same.

Demand is up, taxes (about $.07/gal more for diesel) and the new mandated Ultra Low Sulpher formulation. It burns cleaner, but it's less efficient so you burn more. :wacko:

Expect milk prices to rise...I just recently saw an announcement that the consortium that handles most of the milk for the northeast (at least) will no longer be buying milk that comes from cows treated with the hormones that increase milk production. Decreased production per cow has to translate to increased price at the store.