[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are there any welders amongst us?

tbimm

What kind of welding?

Thats just it. She is going to be taking classes and looking towards not only a possible job opportunity but also getting involved in metal art.

I am looking at a very basic starter kit to give her a little extra push to follow through with it when the time comes to sign up for the classes.

Thats just it. She is going to be taking classes and looking towards not only a possible job opportunity but also getting involved in metal art.

I am looking at a very basic starter kit to give her a little extra push to follow through with it when the time comes to sign up for the classes.

OK, so she's probably starting on typical heliarc buzz-box stuff and might go from there on to MIG, TIG and so on. My Dad's a millwright so I'll ask when I see him tomorrow morning.

I am looking to put together a starter kit for someone looking to get into welding. Helmet, Gloves and assorted accessories. Not sure what to buy or from where.

Anyone?

What do you need to know. I was a professional certified welder, plus I taught it for 20+ years.

Short list:

What processes? They all can require different stuff.

Home, new occupation, side bar for current occupation (auto body, Art, etc..), or just for giggles and farts?

Schooling necessary?

Own his/her own welding equipment?

Let me know and I can fill the blanks.

See above....

What do you need to know. I was a professional certified welder, plus I taught it for 20+ years.

Short list:

What processes? They all can require different stuff.

Home, new occupation, side bar for current occupation (auto body, Art, etc..), or just for giggles and farts?

Schooling necessary?

Own his/her own welding equipment?

Let me know and I can fill the blanks.

I was pretty sure you were the guy I needed to talk to. PM on it's way!

No kidding. I'd like to learn about a welders starter kit, especially after all the build up in this thread. :wacko:

Well I got a phone call in the middle of sending the PM. RR had to go so now we are all on the edge of our seats! :D

I had a high school job where I got to weld occasionally and did all the welding on our homecoming contraption at Georgia Tech. It's been a while since I've been around it but the two basics are a helmet and gloves. I'd go to a local welding supply shop and ask them what's the latest and greatest for both for someone at the entry level.

The one thing I remember most is that the most bad-ass welders had cool stickers on their helmets so whatever you do make sure you get some cool stickers. I think it helps with the concentration!

Well, since we're waiting, how about we start a list.

1. Leather Chaps. You know, to repel the sparks.

I had a high school job where I got to weld occasionally and did all the welding on our homecoming contraption at Georgia Tech. It's been a while since I've been around it but the two basics are a helmet and gloves. I'd go to a local welding supply shop and ask them what's the latest and greatest for both for someone at the entry level.

The one thing I remember most is that the most bad-ass welders had cool stickers on their helmets so whatever you do make sure you get some cool stickers. I think it helps with the concentration!

2. Cool stickers. You know, to look bad-ass.

Well, since we're waiting, how about we start a list.

1. Leather Chaps. You know, to repel the sparks.

2. Cool stickers. You know, to look bad-ass.

If she's serious into welding, get her a cool looking paint job on her mask. It's like a goalie mask in hockey.

All of the welders I work with have sweet masks.

3. Sweet mask. Painted by someone who can paint something cool.

And if you wanna have a little fun with her helmet. Find some carbon paper, cut it to the size of the filter lens, then place it between the protective glass and filter. Drives most beginning welders batty they can't figure out why they can't see the arc. :wacko:

Do they even still make carbon paper?

I did about a year of MIG welding on the bottoms of cars, mostly replacing floors in VW Bugs but alot of other things too. Gloves and helmet/goggles are an absolute must. The monster truck aficionado I worked with once spot welded a 6" x 6" piece of sheet metal onto a car without wearing his mask or goggles. He couldn't see for a day and his eyes looked like two glowing coals that were about to pop out of his head. Just bad things happen when you look at the arc directly.

I had a set of leathers (chaps for the arms and chest) but doing most of my work overhead all they did was trap the hot metal against my body. I was really better off without them. YMMV.

Also tell her not to look at the light directly when someone else is welding. Can burn the retinas like looking directly at the sun during an eclipse. I seem to remember the remedy for that being putting potatoes on your eyes... :wacko:

:D:D Old wives tale! The starch in the potato will actually irritate the eye more. An old timer (when I was a young buck) tried to convince me that potato slices (his words) "Suck the poison out of your eye and when the slices turn black the poison will be gone!". :smash: Throw a potato slice on a counter and it will turn black! Arc Flash (Sandy Eyes) is actually a severe eye strain. It feels like you have sand in your eyes, they are also very sensitive to light. Time is really the only cure (24-48 hours), but eye drops and sun glasses help. Yup, I am talking from experience. Usually there is no permanent damage and a Doctor really can't do anything for it except put an anesthetic in your eye, but then you have to wear a patch. :D

Here's the list I sent Tbimm:

Every school provides different things to the students, so my first recc. would be to try to contact the school and find out what they require their students to have. But here is a shopping list:

1) Helmet (As an oldtimer, I just used a flip front 2"x4", but today the self darkening ones are very common but pricey w/ a lot of options)

2)Good Safety glasses w/ side shields.

3) Good American Tanned Gloves, though they do make some very nice cloth ones now-a-days. Possibly 2 pair, one being lighter for TIG welding.

4) Heavy Cotton Jacket (Leather ones are available, but I sweat too much so rarely worn them, unless I was in a very confined space where avoiding getting a direct hit from the droplets of molten metal was unavoidable)

5) Decent Pliers (Channel Locks are best)

6) A sturdy hat. Kromer Caps were always the pro's faves, but the "do rag" thing seems to very be popular today also. (I had several to suit my mood, LOL)

7) Heavy, possibly steel toed boots.

8) Could be forgetting something. If something pops in my head I'll let you know.

Kromer Caps....

Helmets...

I've seen some amazing air-brush paint jobs on helmets. I was an old-timer... :D only had my Union's decal and a :D on mine. :D