[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

401ks?

Pope Flick

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still hitting 8% on Russell 2000 and S&P500 index twist with a total of 20ish% in foreign and 2% in bond funds.

Im only doing this for the tax dodge and hoefulness that in 30 years I will make money. In the meantime I'm taking Muck's advice and investing in things I actually understand. Right now is an amazing time to be buying land. I just bought a tract that I could turn tomorrow for a 75% return if I had to. It is looking like mine and the Mrs. fire ant/cockroach lifestyle is paying off. I really can't believe some of the returns available right now. If I had more cash it would be getting real here.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, on the day Pope started this thread, Dow closed at 7555. Today it sits at 6800+. Another 10% haircut.

And to think some have been advised to employ a strategy that requires them to buy at regular intervals all the way down from 13,000....you gotta be kidding me.

If you invested $1 in the market in 1997, it would be worth exactly $1 today...incredible.

Wow, on the day Pope started this thread, Dow closed at 7555. Today it sits at 6800+. Another 10% haircut.

And to think some have been advised to employ a strategy that requires them to buy at regular intervals all the way down from 13,000....you gotta be kidding me.

If you invested $1 in the market in 1997, it would be worth exactly $1 today...incredible.

Doesn't change the logic in the investment plan. If you need the money today then you should have moved a large portion of that initial $1 out of the market into 'safer' investments a few years ago. When it was worth $2.

Doesn't change the logic in the investment plan. If you need the money today then you should have moved a large portion of that initial $1 out of the market into 'safer' investments a few years ago. When it was worth $2.

All investing is market timing, even if you don't want to call it that...

Dollar-cost-averaging = idea from the marketing department, backed up by research that holds as its primary underlying thesis that markets go up over the long-term

Personal Rate of Return from 01/01/2009 to 03/02/2009 is -17.5%

Can we please hit "bottom" soon? :wacko:

I'm afraid to look at mine again. I'd been doing pretty well, but now the healthcare sector is beginning to take a beating as well. Healthcare and utilities have been my final refuge. :D

I'm afraid to look at mine again. I'd been doing pretty well, but now the healthcare sector is beginning to take a beating as well. Healthcare and utilities have been my final refuge. :wacko:

I also though health care would be bombproof, or close to it. Nope - got some news yesterday that companies building health care facilities are in the same boat as everyone else. Can't get financing.

I also though health care would be bombproof, or close to it. Nope - got some news yesterday that companies building health care facilities are in the same boat as everyone else. Can't get financing.

I heard from a friend that contracts (IT security) with a lot of hospitals that their revenue streams are lightening because fewer people have health insurance and fewer are going to see doctors with minor ailments due to their own cash flow challenges.

I heard from a friend that contracts (IT security) with a lot of hospitals that their revenue streams are lightening because fewer people have health insurance and fewer are going to see doctors with minor ailments due to their own cash flow challenges.

My company barely hit net operating income budget last year, but we did with some large adjustments and a better than the previous few months December. January we doubled budget for some really strange reason. It was almost too good to be true. We'll find out in the next couple of days what February will bring. Like everybody else, we're hemorrhaging money on our investments though.

My company barely hit net operating income budget last year, but we did with some large adjustments and a better than the previous few months December. January we doubled budget for some really strange reason. It was almost too good to be true. We'll find out in the next couple of days what February will bring. Like everybody else, we're hemorrhaging money on our investments though.

Publically traded? :wacko:

• 7 months later...

...back to within 2% of my all-time high. :D Threw most of my balance into Hotchkis and Wiley Mid-Cap Value Fund in Dec - YTD return is almost 60%. :D

Now where the hell do I put it? I have a feeling financial serives will be hit again hard. :D

Those of you in the know - are short term T-bills a good option right now? I know jack about them. :wacko:

Looking at funds with high ratios of utilities, energy and telecomm. Anything else I should be looking at - besides buying gold and building an addition off the underground shelter???

last summer I was pretty aggressive, all in stock funds, then I got a little antsy (just in time) and moved about half to more conservative stuff, govt and other bonds. I went back aggressive after what seemed like the worst of the market bloodbath, but unfortunately I got back in a little too early as I had a couple more bad months. but then it was all very good most of this year. but just yesterday I moved half they money back into conservative chit, getting antsy again.

last summer I was pretty aggressive, all in stock funds, then I got a little antsy (just in time) and moved about half to more conservative stuff, govt and other bonds. I went back aggressive after what seemed like the worst of the market bloodbath, but unfortunately I got back in a little too early as I had a couple more bad months. but then it was all very good most of this year. but just yesterday I moved half they money back into conservative chit, getting antsy again.

What kind of conservative funds?

SBBAX - 41.11%

SCGRX - 26.48%

SCHAX - 21.67%

SBCXX - 10.75%

Personal Rate of Return 01/01/09 through 9/30/09 - 23.69%

I don't know what any of that means

Personal Rate of Return from 01/01/2009 to 10/22/2009 is 26.2%*

Changed my mix a little bit a couple weeks back...

FCNTX 20%

FMAGX 20%

FLPSX 20%

FICDX 20%

FSDPX 10%

FSAGX 10%

The last two are lagging a bit (gold and materials).

...back to within 2% of my all-time high. :D Threw most of my balance into Hotchkis and Wiley Mid-Cap Value Fund in Dec - YTD return is almost 60%. :D

Now where the hell do I put it? I have a feeling financial serives will be hit again hard. :D

Those of you in the know - are short term T-bills a good option right now? I know jack about them. :wacko:

Looking at funds with high ratios of utilities, energy and telecomm. Anything else I should be looking at - besides buying gold and building an addition off the underground shelter???

Whoa. Want to manage my money? :D