[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

will this happen here

dmarc117

Police are preparing for a "summer of rage" as victims of the economic downturn take to the streets to demonstrate against financial institutions, the Guardian has learned.

Britain's most senior police officer with responsibility for public order raised the spectre of a return of the riots of the 1980s, with people who have lost their jobs, homes or savings becoming "footsoldiers" in a wave of potentially violent mass protests.

ATHENS, Feb 25 (Reuters) - Greeks disgruntled by their country's economic woes ramped up protests against the government on Wednesday, shutting down airports and disrupting many public services.

Public schools and tax offices shut down, and services at ministries and public offices were suspended, as hundreds of workers marched to parliament with banners reading "No to pension reforms, privatisations and job cuts".

"Government policy ... only burdens workers, the unemployed and the poor," public sector umbrella union ADEDY, which represents 500,000 members, said in a statement.

ATHENS, Feb 25 (Reuters) - Greeks disgruntled by their country's economic woes ramped up protests against the government on Wednesday, shutting down airports and disrupting many public services.

They should come here. The nearest 24 hour diner worth a damn is about a half hour away. That's too far to drive for a quality BLT.

although when all these state and city pensions go under, we will see anarchy

Yep. I feel bad for people being so flippant with other people's pensions. Most of these people put in 40 years and deserve it. It would suck to be promised that your whole career and then have it taken away. And by promise, I mean the one (and only) job I ever had that offered a pension would send out annual statements so it wasn't exactly promised...but you get the point.

Yeah, I'd rebel as well since it was the leaders of the state and cities that squandered the money during the good times and can't cut back now.

although when all these state and city pensions go under, we will see anarchy

My uncle "retired" from the Indiana DOT and lost his pension last year. He has since gone back to work. Where were these protests you speak of?

Sadly, an "Atlas Shrugged" scenario seems to be where we are. I can no longer say we are heading there.

Yep. I feel bad for people being so flippant with other people's pensions. Most of these people put in 40 years and deserve it. It would suck to be promised that your whole career and then have it taken away. And by promise, I mean the one (and only) job I ever had that offered a pension would send out annual statements so it wasn't exactly promised...but you get the point.

Yeah, I'd rebel as well since it was the leaders of the state and cities that squandered the money during the good times and can't cut back now.

i agree. these people didnt save because they thought they had a pension to live on in the later years. very crappy situation.