[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Religulous

Kid Cid

It's pretty much what you would expect. Bill Maher going around and asking questions and getting answers that don't cast the answerees in a very good light. The edits were kind of choppy sometimes and needed to be sometimes like when he gets thrown out of the Vatican. It did focus pretty much on Western religion (Christianity, Judaism and Islam) which I though was kind of a shame. The pacing was a little off at times as well.

However, when was on, he was very on. The segment about the Holy Land in Orlando and the Creationist Museum had me in stiches. His trip to Israel and getting a look inside the Dome of the Rock was quite informative. The highlight was his interview with the Mark Pryor, a Senator from Arkansas was both entertaining and extremely disturbing.

This certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I really think everyone should view it, if only to ask some questions of themselves. I'd give it three out of five for execution and four out of five for content.

I think Maher is great - and Real Time is a solid show that is in my dvr rotation

looking forward to seeing religulous

I used to love his show where he'd have 3 guests on one side and 3 on the other (can't think of the name). But I seriously thought he died.

I used to love his show where he'd have 3 guests on one side and 3 on the other (can't think of the name). But I seriously thought he died.

he is plugging away with his movie, and HBO show and banging ex-Playboy bunnies well into his mid 50's, dood is doin ok...........

Not a fan. If you don't want to believe, then that is 100% your right, but whats the point of going around and trying to shoot holes in other peoples faith. :wacko:

Edited by Ziachild007

politically incorrect was a pretty good show. but every time I've seen maher since he stuck his foot in his mouth after 9/11, he has sounded bitter, angry and hateful. makes me suspect this movie is little more than a smarmy little d00$hbag mocking peoples' faith, with no real attempt to understand them -- which is the opposite of what good documentary filmmaking tries to accomplish. for a detached perspective on religion, I'd rather read william james' "the varieties of religious experience" instead.

politically incorrect was a pretty good show. but every time I've seen maher since he stuck his foot in his mouth after 9/11, he has sounded bitter, angry and hateful. makes me suspect this movie is little more than a smarmy little d00$hbag mocking peoples' faith, with no real attempt to understand them -- which is the opposite of what good documentary filmmaking tries to accomplish. for a detached perspective on religion, I'd rather read william james' "the varieties of religious experience" instead.

In other words he reminds you of a redheaded prick that frequents this board.

actually, I think Real Time is a better show that PI - he has smart, informed and more aware guests on- much less of the hollywood morans he used to have on PI

makes me suspect this movie is little more than a smarmy little d00$hbag mocking peoples' faith, with no real attempt to understand them

You may be surprised to find out that he (probaby through editing) displays quite a bit of understanding of the various religions. He comes across as much more informed than the representatives of the faiths (and he doesn't use common people, he uses people high up in the ranks of their faith). He's able to respond in quotes or passages from the various texts of each faith.

That said, anyone that has faith will hate the documentary because facts never trump faith.

People will believe what they want to believe regardless of anything to the contrary (this is true for all sides of the discussion).

I enjoyed the movie because it did allow me to learn more about the various religions.

One of the most widely released documentaries of the last year and it didn't even get nominated for the doc Oscar. Guess Hollywood thinks Maher is more of an mister than Michael Moore.

I think Maher does some good work on his TV show, but I also think he comes across as an arrogant prick.

That said, the film isn't as mean-spirited as I expected it to be, but I also didn't expect it to be as thought-provoking either. The narrative is strongest when he delves outside the obvious targets of truck stop chapels, creationists, and theme parks in Orlando. Most of the mean material that I recall is directed at the mega-church preacher and the US Senator from Arkansas, not the devoted masses.

Not a fan. If you don't want to believe, then that is 100% your right, but whats the point of going around and trying to shoot holes in other peoples faith. :wacko:

Yeah. I think people should try to stay out of the lives of religious people in the same way they try to stay out of my business.