[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Final offer to LT

HAUG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part I'm looking at the most was:

When asked if he has discussed that possibility with Tomlinson, Brees said, "I think that's pretty obvious, don't you think?"

When the radio hosts jokingly brought up the idea of tampering, Brees backed off and said, "No, it's just two buddies talkin' on the phone."

Kind of like Favre talking to the Minny personnel on the phone.

Part I'm looking at the most was:

Kind of like Favre talking to the Minny personnel on the phone.

The difference being Favre was talking to management and LT was talking to a player and a friend.

The difference being Favre was talking to management and LT was talking to a player and a friend.

The difference was Favre was "retired" and supposedly not under a financial contract anymore (only thing left were the rights to his services). Tomlinson is currently under contract. Neither Childress or Brees are the General Manager, nor can they offer contracts. Both do have strong pull within the organization they represent.

To the average joe: they (both Favre and Tomlinson) were talking to a friend on the phone.

To a business man: they were networking about an opening, while currently under contract, with a business associate that has strong pull within a competing company in order to make the gaining company a stronger market commodity.

The NFL is run by business men.

Brees should have kept his yap shut or just said they spoke about the Chargers situation only.

I don't think LT should re-do his contract. He has no reason to. Am I wrong, but it sounds like the Chargers are mad that last season, which was good, was not INCREDIBLY good like it was in 2006, so they are telling him to take a pay cut or else. I don't think he should do it. I think LT still has a couple of good years and that the Chargers should honor their agreement. If it was the other way around with LT wanting a better deal, say like Anquan Boldin, everyone would be criticizing LT for wanting to renegotiate his contract and for holding the team hostage. There's no way that LT should be making less than Darren Sproles, who I do like, but a healthy L.T. is in another stratosphere.

I think LT has a couple of good years left, I and would love to have him on my dynasty team. However, I don't have him, but I do have Darren Sproles. I confess that I secretly hope that LT and the Chargers can't come to an agreement, so Sproles will see a big jump in production.

BREES ADMITS TO RECRUITING L.T. TO N.O.

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2009, 10:48 a.m. EDT

In an interview with XX 1090 AM (via SportsRadioInterviews.com), one of the radio stations in his old stomping grounds of San Diego, Saints quarterback Drew Brees recently addressed the current contract impasse involving the Chargers and running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

And if Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith ever smiles (then again, he never does), he surely wasn’t smiling after hearing what Brees had to say.

Following what seemed like 20 minutes of Brees talking about nothing that was all that compelling or humorous (with the exception of something about his wife once asking him if he had a sausage in his pocket), Brees addressed L.T.’s status.

As to whether Tomlinson should accept a reduction from the $6.725 million salary that he’s due to earn in 2009, Brees was unequivocal.

“I don’t think he should accept less money from the Chargers at this point,” Brees said, “because look at his track record . . . . Many people could say he had a decline this year, but I disagree with that. He was banged up for the majority of the year, and I think that’s just part of the game at times.

“I mean the guy hasn’t missed one start his entire NFL career, so if you’re going to sit here and tell me he’s, you know, not a durable guy, then you’re crazy. Like I said I think he’s still got a lot of motivation. I think he’s got a lot of fight and fire left in him. And you know he can still be a very productive player. So I don’t see any reason why he should be taking a pay cut at this point.”

So if Tomlinson refuses to take a pay cut, Brees would love to be reunited with his former San Diego teammate.

“I mean, come on, it’s an easy question,” Brees said. “I’d love to have him in New Orleans. I’d love to be his teammate again. I think L.T.’s got a lot of great years left in him so we’ll see what happens.”

Brees also admitted to having conversations with Tomlinson, and that the conversations have touched on L.T.’s status.

And Brees at first became very coy when asked point-blank about whether he has made it known to Tomlinson that Brees would like to have him in New Orleans.

“For me, I’m just waiting for the opportunity if he is available to come and snatch him,” Brees said.

As to the specific issue of whether Brees has shared that sentiment with Tomlinson, Brees was surprisingly candid.

“I think that’s pretty obvious, don’t you think?” Brees said.

Then reminded of the tampering rules, Brees said it was “just two buddies talkin’ on the phone.”

Yeah, and soon it could be two buddies playin’ some football together, again.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/08/...iting-lt-to-no/

New Orleans, put him in there with Bush very confusing add Pierre to the mix add a little pinch of Brees passing= the perfect ingridients for the #1 offense in the NFL.

A few things...

1. They already have the no.1 offense in the NFL.

2. They don't have a lot of money, and have holes on Defense.

3. Why pay a rb a lot of money to play on the best offense in the NFL as is when the defense is what needs help?

That makes zero sense at all.

BREES ADMITS TO RECRUITING L.T. TO N.O.

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2009, 10:48 a.m. EDT

In an interview with XX 1090 AM (via SportsRadioInterviews.com), one of the radio stations in his old stomping grounds of San Diego, Saints quarterback Drew Brees recently addressed the current contract impasse involving the Chargers and running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

And if Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith ever smiles (then again, he never does), he surely wasn’t smiling after hearing what Brees had to say.

Following what seemed like 20 minutes of Brees talking about nothing that was all that compelling or humorous (with the exception of something about his wife once asking him if he had a sausage in his pocket), Brees addressed L.T.’s status.

As to whether Tomlinson should accept a reduction from the $6.725 million salary that he’s due to earn in 2009, Brees was unequivocal.

“I don’t think he should accept less money from the Chargers at this point,” Brees said, “because look at his track record . . . . Many people could say he had a decline this year, but I disagree with that. He was banged up for the majority of the year, and I think that’s just part of the game at times.

“I mean the guy hasn’t missed one start his entire NFL career, so if you’re going to sit here and tell me he’s, you know, not a durable guy, then you’re crazy. Like I said I think he’s still got a lot of motivation. I think he’s got a lot of fight and fire left in him. And you know he can still be a very productive player. So I don’t see any reason why he should be taking a pay cut at this point.”

So if Tomlinson refuses to take a pay cut, Brees would love to be reunited with his former San Diego teammate.

“I mean, come on, it’s an easy question,” Brees said. “I’d love to have him in New Orleans. I’d love to be his teammate again. I think L.T.’s got a lot of great years left in him so we’ll see what happens.”

Brees also admitted to having conversations with Tomlinson, and that the conversations have touched on L.T.’s status.

And Brees at first became very coy when asked point-blank about whether he has made it known to Tomlinson that Brees would like to have him in New Orleans.

“For me, I’m just waiting for the opportunity if he is available to come and snatch him,” Brees said.

As to the specific issue of whether Brees has shared that sentiment with Tomlinson, Brees was surprisingly candid.

“I think that’s pretty obvious, don’t you think?” Brees said.

Then reminded of the tampering rules, Brees said it was “just two buddies talkin’ on the phone.”

Yeah, and soon it could be two buddies playin’ some football together, again.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/08/...iting-lt-to-no/

You were saying :wacko:

you think that LT would be hard pressed to land a #1 gig?

Look how fast Shawn Alexander fell off the face of the earth after his MVP season..

Not saying that LT is falling off the face of the earth, but he'll NEVER again be the LT that set the single season TD record.. He may never be half that LT again..

Just goes to show how quick you rise to the top, and how fast you fall!!!

I'd love to see LT in Arizona if (more like when) the Chargers let him go..

The latest from the Union-Tribune:

------------------------------------------------

With talks in 'final stages,' signs point to LT staying

Kevin Acee

Monday, March 9, 2009

Will he stay or will he go? Indications are that we'll know sooner rather than later.

Talks regarding a restructured contract are ongoing between LaDainian Tomlinson and the Chargers, and those talks reportedly are in the “final stages.”

It would appear that the continued discussions are good news for those who want LT to stay in San Diego.

Both sides have always said they want Tomlinson to be a Charger in 2009.

The team believes Tomlinson, if healthy, has at least another year of being an elite running back. Tomlinson lives here, likes it here and would like to stay in the same uniform his entire career. That's best for him now and probably best for his legacy.

The outcome of these negotiations ultimately lies – as it has for a while – in Tomlinson's hands. Does he want to stay in San Diego for less money than he was due to make over the next three seasons?

And if LT didn't really want to stay, why would he not just have walked away after the Chargers' latest offer?

That proposal was essentially a final offer from the team – that is, agent Tom Condon and Tomlinson knew where the Chargers stood and the parameters in which they were willing to work. But it was known there was some wiggle room, as there almost always is in this type of negotiation right up until the very end.

The wiggle room is what is being worked out now, and it likely revolves around the structure of the contract – incentives, signing bonus, etc.

It is not known what those terms are. What is known is that if Tomlinson is to stay in San Diego, he will accept less money over the course of three years than the $24 million he is due under the terms of his current contract.

It appears likely Tomlinson might not have to take much of a cut – if any at all – in 2009 from the $6.725 million he is due. Whether the base salary stays the same or incentives allow him to reach that level is not known.

But it is guaranteed a restructure will involve less than the $8 million he is due in 2010 and the $9.275 million he is due in '11. In fact, it is possible part of the reduction could be an elimination of the 2011 contract year.

The reason the Chargers need to restructure (reduce) this contract now is they need to know what they're working with in 2010 and '11. Focus on 2009 has perhaps been misguided.

What the Chargers need more than anything is more money in '10 and '11 to be able to complete the long-term contracts they'd like to get done with Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates and others.

While there is no deadline, this will likely get done soon. The Chargers need to know how to address their running back future, and Tomlinson needs to know where he's playing next season.

With the way it's going now, it appears that will be with the Chargers.

Yahoo Sports reports that LaDainian Tomlinson and the Chargers have reached agreement on a restructured contract that will keep Tomlinson in San Diego.

Looks like he'll remain a Charger. I was hoping for him to move on. He probably would have put up really good numbers for another team, trying to prove he is still the best back in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if he does that in San

Diego next year either. :wacko:

You were saying :wacko:

You were saying? :D

Yahoo Sports reports that LaDainian Tomlinson and the Chargers have reached agreement on a restructured contract that will keep Tomlinson in San Diego.

Looks like he'll remain a Charger. I was hoping for him to move on. He probably would have put up really good numbers for another team, trying to prove he is still the best back in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if he does that in San

Diego next year either. :D

I'm not sure I'd spend a first round pick on him in a new dynasty, but I suspect he still has a couple more years of production that most RBs dream of.

I am sure that I would not. I wouldn't draft him in the first round of a redraft. Seriously.

And I love the guy. It's time to move on. I actually love these situations as I know at least one person in every draft I'm in will overpay for LT next year.

Given all that, I'm happy he stayed in San Diego. I love it when the great ones end their career with the same team they became great with.

Be interesting to see where he goes in FF drafts. Personally I wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole.

Interesting. In re-drafts, he's easily a mid 2nd round pick. He's still the GL back and the time share with Sproles is nothing more than 80/20. I have my own 10' foot pole guys like Shockey, but LT being on that kind of list is alittle shocking for 09. Next season I'll agree with ya.

People are so quick to give up on a player who has a bad year. If he stays healthy next season, which I believe he will, I think we will see the LT we're all used to seeing dominate Fantasy Football. Star players that have down years most often bounce back the next year. Saying LT isn't a first round pick in re draft leagues is just obsurd.