[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UFL to begin playing in Oct 09

tazinib1

a place for Vick? :wacko:

Yep, it looks like they want him!

Last year, UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue was candid regarding his league’s desire to offer an opportunity to Falcons quarterback Mike Vick, who might very well be suspended for a year (or more) after being released from federal custody in July.

Last month, Huyghue backed off considerably, suggesting that the UFL would bow to the will of the fans.

Are there any?

Apparently, there are — and Huyghue apparently has consulted with them.

And they apparently want Vick.

According to Howard Balzer of the Sports Xchange, the UFL is believed to be plotting a run at Vick.

The only potential impediment would come from a decision by the Falcons, if they don’t release him, to invoke the language in his contract preventing him from playing in any other league while on suspension.

But assuming the Falcons don’t cut Vick, perhaps they’d be able to conjure a trade market for 2010 by letting Vick run circles around the slappies that will be populating the UFL.

Then again, Michael Vick playing in the UFL would give the league even more credibility than the initial slate of head coaches (Ted Cottrell, Jim Fassel, Dennis Green, Jim Haslett), whom Balzer points out will be paid $500,000 each per year.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/09/...-to-chase-vick/

It will be entertaining to say the least when all the irrelevants pop back up into the football scene. I'm sure Pacman Jones and the likes will get there chance to shine in the new league. I just hope the league doesn't compete with the college rooks like the USFL did back in the day.

Nevermind the UFL.

Forget about the AFL.

BRING ON THE NEW USFL!!!!

http://www.newusfl.com/

With all these sure-bet leagues popping up, how does the Arena league fold! :wacko:

lol, you can buy stock in these franchises...i think i would rather invest my money in citigroup.

with 2 other leagues set to launch why would someone want to start a third? wont this thin out the allready thin talent pool? my money is on the aafl, with its college ties and requirement of college degrees to play.

lol, you can buy stock in these franchises...i think i would rather invest my money in citigroup.

with 2 other leagues set to launch why would someone want to start a third? wont this thin out the allready thin talent pool? my money is on the aafl, with its college ties and requirement of college degrees to play.

Even after the coach hirings in the UFL? :wacko:

The UFL has 4 teams and will be directly competing with the NFL, i believe playing on fridays nights if i remember correctly. The AAFL will be played in the spring i believe and catering more to the college football fan...selling "what if you could still see your favorite Gator play..." type of deal. seem more of a complement to the pro/college game a minor league if you will...not an alternative like the UFL.

The thing that turns me off about the USFL link was all the changes to the rules they said to be implementing, we all saw how that worked out for the XFL.

The UFL has 4 teams and will be directly competing with the NFL, i believe playing on fridays nights if i remember correctly. The AAFL will be played in the spring i believe and catering more to the college football fan...selling "what if you could still see your favorite Gator play..." type of deal. seem more of a complement to the pro/college game a minor league if you will...not an alternative like the UFL.

The thing that turns me off about the USFL link was all the changes to the rules they said to be implementing, we all saw how that worked out for the XFL.

no no no. The XFL rules had no bearing on the downfall. The rules in place for the XFL for fine and anyone who has negatives to say about them (specific examples of course) is just being an elitest.

The downfall was that idiot Vince McMahon and his idea to turn it into wrestling. (the famouse jaunt inside the cheerleaders locker room comes to mind). That and his never ending catering to the networks when it would goto overtime and fans of Will and Grace or Ellen would be peeved. :wacko:

I will argue til the cows come home. The XFL had everything it needed to succeed, but sadly, it also had the person it needed to fail.

no no no. The XFL rules had no bearing on the downfall. The rules in place for the XFL for fine and anyone who has negatives to say about them (specific examples of course) is just being an elitest.

The downfall was that idiot Vince McMahon and his idea to turn it into wrestling. (the famouse jaunt inside the cheerleaders locker room comes to mind). That and his never ending catering to the networks when it would goto overtime and fans of Will and Grace or Ellen would be peeved. :wacko:

I will argue til the cows come home. The XFL had everything it needed to succeed, but sadly, it also had the person it needed to fail.

I wouldnt call it elitist.., 4 point safeties, 10 yard 3 point conversions? ill probably not be watching it :D

They need to make a minor league NFL in the spring.

Eight teams where each can only take players from four NFL teams, two teams from each conference and not from the same division. Allow the bench sitters an opportunity to play their position and get some experience.

That was the original intent of WLAF, then NFL Europe (except the allocations were more loose), but the evolution of the league along with the money the NFL was losing with it brought on its eventual demise.

That was the original intent of WLAF, then NFL Europe (except the allocations were more loose), but the evolution of the league along with the money the NFL was losing with it brought on its eventual demise.

They were trying to boost the appeal of the nfl to the world, where football is second in most markets to soccer and in some markets to cricket. I think, a miinor league format, of the nature of the NFL Europe league, but in the US in markets that couldn't support a real nfl team, but could support a minor league team, could be very succesful.

On a regional level, regional telecasts and smaller venues. Just like minor league baseball.

The NFL is a proven commodity, and every league that has ever tried to compete with it directly since the merger, has failed. SO why not develop a league to work in conjunction with, instead of opposition to?

Plus, if this minor league played in the spring, we could have access to year round NFL type football.