[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HUDDLERS' 2009 NFL MOCK DRAFT!

irish

I couldn't believe that Stafford almost slipped to me and I would've scooped him up as quickly as MTsuper did for the Texans. If Sanchez falls to the Jets I truly feel they will take him because are Clemens, Ratliff or Ainge really the answers at QB? Probably not but time will tell. This was a tough pick for me because I contemplated taking Darrius Heyward-Bey who the Jets seem to really like and whose stocks continues to rise. There's no question that the Jets could take a WR here, go with a CB like Jairus Byrd from Oregon, or maybe even look at another USC player and take ILB, Ray Maualuga or James Laurinaitis and then grab a QB like Josh Freeman if he falls to them in round 2.

However, I think the Jets grab Mark Sanchez if he's there and then think about getting a WR, OT/OG or CB next.

Sanchez has good enough size at almost 6'3" and 225 lbs. He is a natural passer with a strong enough arm to let it rip downfield and nailing WRs in stride. He works well in the pocket, making his reads, showing good footwork and making accurate throws while on the move. He played in a Pro-style system and gets up for big games. There are some concerns about him not having extensive starting experience and possibly needing more seasoning. He also had a great O-line and lots of talent around him at USC which undoubtedly took pressure off of him. But he is a mentally tough kid who knows how to manage the huddle and keep things even-keeled. I think the Jets would be pleased to have him aboard and start fresh with.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolverines Fan is now on the clock to select for the Chicago Bears.

I couldn't believe that Stafford almost slipped to me and I would've scooped him up as quickly as MTsuper did for the Texans. If Sanchez falls to the Jets I truly feel they will take him because are Clemens, Ratliff or Ainge really the answers at QB? Probably not but time will tell. This was a tough pick for me because I contemplated taking Darrius Heyward-Bey who the Jets seem to really like and whose stocks continues to rise. There's no question that the Jets could take a WR here, go with a CB like Jairus Byrd from Oregon, or maybe even look at another USC player and take ILB, Ray Maualuga or James Laurinaitis and then grab a QB like Josh Freeman if he falls to them in round 2.

However, I think the Jets grab Mark Sanchez if he's there and then think about getting a WR, OT/OG or CB next.

Sanchez has good enough size at almost 6'3" and 225 lbs. He is a natural passer with a strong enough arm to let it rip downfield and nailing WRs in stride. He works well in the pocket, making his reads, showing good footwork and making accurate throws while on the move. He played in a Pro-style system and gets up for big games. There are some concerns about him not having extensive starting experience and possibly needing more seasoning. He also had a great O-line and lots of talent around him at USC which undoubtedly took pressure off of him. But he is a mentally tough kid who knows how to manage the huddle and keep things even-keeled. I think the Jets would be pleased to have him aboard and start fresh with.

Sanchez here in real life would be the steal of the draft. If he stays in school, he competes for the #1 overall selection next year.

So with pick #15 in the real NFL Draft, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell Stafford will really be there. I can see how a Lions fan would be afraid to pick a QB #1 overall (though I think they'll take Stafford, but if they don't for some reason, they WILL take an OL). But how do teams like St. Louis, Seattle, Jacksonville, San Fran pass on this kid? All of them have significant QB needs (Jacksonville maybe not as much as the others, but is Garrard really a long-term answer?). Why is everyone on these boards so down on Stafford? Because of his combine? Come on now, there is a reason that he is a top 3 pick on basically every mock draft out there.

But if somehow this were to happen, the Texans would snatch the kid up in a heartbeat. Not because they don't think Schaub is the answer... But Schaub has proven that he isn't that durable, and he also is a due a fat bonus in 2010. If the kid progresses well as a rookie learning the playbook, maybe they feel confident they could deal Schaub and roll with Stafford. But the Texan offense would be a wonderful playground for Stafford to roll with... Lots of weapons.

More realistically, I see the Texans maybe taking a LB with this pick depending on who is out there. They are set at DE now. There is a chance they draft a guy like Moreno to split carries with Slaton (they definitely will find a bruiser in this draft at some point).

I agree that there are a bunch of teams in the top 15 picks that could really use a "franchise" QB, but from the 49ers' perspective, the QB position is not where their biggest troubles lie. If they were to draft Stafford or Sanchez, it would not in any way address their two biggest problems... poor play by the offensive line (led league in sacks given up) and the lack of a significant pass rush. The Niners bring in Stafford and one of two things happens... either he holds a clipboard for a year or two, or he gets thrown into the mix immediately and gets sacked 3-4 times per game, knocked down another 6-8 times, and the team finishes worse than last year overall. I think there are enough pieces in place that SF would rather draft someone who can make a positive impact on this upcoming season. There are too many unknowns regarding Shaun Hill to just assume that the QB position needs to be addressed immediately, in terms of a top draft pick. Let Hill play an entire season, running the same game-manager type of offense that he did last year (when he went 7-3 as a starter), and Singletary continues to build the defense that he wants to anchor this team around.

I agree that there are a bunch of teams in the top 15 picks that could really use a "franchise" QB, but from the 49ers' perspective, the QB position is not where their biggest troubles lie. If they were to draft Stafford or Sanchez, it would not in any way address their two biggest problems... poor play by the offensive line (led league in sacks given up) and the lack of a significant pass rush. The Niners bring in Stafford and one of two things happens... either he holds a clipboard for a year or two, or he gets thrown into the mix immediately and gets sacked 3-4 times per game, knocked down another 6-8 times, and the team finishes worse than last year overall. I think there are enough pieces in place that SF would rather draft someone who can make a positive impact on this upcoming season. There are too many unknowns regarding Shaun Hill to just assume that the QB position needs to be addressed immediately, in terms of a top draft pick. Let Hill play an entire season, running the same game-manager type of offense that he did last year (when he went 7-3 as a starter), and Singletary continues to build the defense that he wants to anchor this team around.

If Stafford was somehow there at 10, the 49ers brass will take him, regardless of immediate team need. 2009 is probably a rebuilding year for SF anyway, no? Why not get your QB of the future now and fill out some of your needs later in the draft. You 'll probably have another top ten pick in the 2010 NFL draft anyway and could get an immediate impact defensive player with that pick.

I will also say this... If Stafford starts slipping past 5,6,7, etc., there definitely would be a team trading up to snatch him.

Wolverines Fan is currently contemplating his selection. We are moving along very nicely again and faster than I anticipated that we would.

Irish and everyone, I'll have a writeup for my pick done sometime Friday. I've had a heck of a long day.

If Stafford or Sanchez had fallen down here, I would have been really conflicted over my pick.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Andre Smith lookin' good at his pro day. :D

Andre Smith

I've heard comments ranging from good to mediocre. 19 reps is OK. His 40 speed was better than average. His cones drills looked good. He did look pretty flabby with his man breasts going wild(running with no shirt).

Where is Frank Costanza when you need him. :wacko:

He admitted in an iterview that he needs to keep working out. He seems like a nice kid but I'm not sure he's a hard worker.

Edited by Randall

Tampa Bay takes Robert Ayers DE from Tennessee. I am targeting for them(with thanks to one Bucs fan that chimed in) the defensive line. With Raji and Jerry gone I believe DE is the wqay to go here.

Tennessee has been a good defensive line training ground with Reggie White, Chuck Smith, John Henderson, Albert Haynesworth, Shaun Ellis coming from there. Mike Mayock rates him his #12 player and #1 defensive end. We don't know what kind of player Jim Bates wants but I am going talent here.

From Scout.com

Ayers is an ascending defender who has great size and the ability to be a quarterback terror. He’s extremely quick off the line and uses his hands very well. He has a powerful lower body and great leg drive. He attacks mostly on the outside and has the ability to bring his momentum inside. He has an explosive nature, but has to develop better technique to compensate for his lack of straight-line speed. - Chris Steuber, Scout.com

I thought you were the PatsFan? :wacko:

He is, he's just looking for some feedback from fellow fans or for them to make the pick altogether. :D

Welcome back Seahawks21. Sorry about moving onward from your pick but the natives were getting restless.

He is, he's just looking for some feedback from fellow fans or for them to make the pick altogether. :wacko:

Welcome back Seahawks21. Sorry about moving onward from your pick but the natives were getting restless.

Maybe someone could help with the caps lock key too. :D

Tampa Bay takes Robert Ayers DE from Tennessee. I am targeting for them(with thanks to one Bucs fan that chimed in) the defensive line. With Raji and Jerry gone I believe DE is the wqay to go here.

Tennessee has been a good defensive line training ground with Reggie White, Chuck Smith, John Henderson, Albert Haynesworth, Shaun Ellis coming from there. Mike Mayock rates him his #12 player and #1 defensive end. We don't know what kind of player Jim Bates wants but I am going talent here.

From Scout.com

Ayers is an ascending defender who has great size and the ability to be a quarterback terror. He’s extremely quick off the line and uses his hands very well. He has a powerful lower body and great leg drive. He attacks mostly on the outside and has the ability to bring his momentum inside. He has an explosive nature, but has to develop better technique to compensate for his lack of straight-line speed. - Chris Steuber, Scout.com

It's not that taking Ayers was a bad pick cause I certainly don't know and who really does? However, if you wanted a DE for the Bucs, why pass on higher rated guys, especially Aaron Maybin or Paul Kruger? Both projected to go in the 1st (Maybin) or 2nd (Kruger) round. Then again I see that Mayock has Ayers as the #1 DE. Maybin is the best pash rusher of the 3 but is light and is not good at defending the run. Ayers (projected 2nd-3rd round) seems like the better all around DE, although he lacks explosive upfield speed, and maybe that's why he deserved to be the choice. But then again Kruger is pretty well rounded and had a higher grade in some eyes. Both Ayers and Maybin were 1-year starters, lack maturity, can be undisciplined and can disappear at times on the field. Again not saying it was a bad pick, just wondering about the thought process on your part or the Bucs' fan who talked with you.

Maybe someone could help with the caps lock key too. :D

:wacko: However, he may really need help with the pick so he's exhibiting urgency.

Hey Policy's here and ready to roll!

Edited by irish

This was an absolutely nerve-wreckng decision to make--there were three guys I had no expectations of beng here for me, who were here for me. Oher I have been championing for the Lions since this time last year (when it was thought he might still come out) . . . yet here he is, all the way down to 1.20. While it's true he didn't have the stunning combines that Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe had, he still looked quite good. His thick lower body, planted stance, and dominant run-blocking make me think he's actually the perfect tackle prospect for the Lions to draft. II think Oher's size and frame would actually make him perfect to step in the Lions' LG spot and start right away; then be groomed to take over the tackle spot in a couple of years as his footwook matures. Schwartz has said he wants to get bigger on the lines first, and Oher brings the size, the strength, and the mean the Lions have lacked next to Backus since . . . well, ever.

It absolutely killed me to pass on a couple of these other guys, but hey, maybe one will keep improbably sliding all the way to my next pick!

Peace

policy

Fitz and Swammi are now on the clock selecting for the Eagles in the 21st slot and I think I know right where they are going.

Edited by irish