[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's time to talk...

Pope Flick

This concept is going from this :D

To this :D

The film's story has been prepped through the Countdown comic book mini series which leads directly up to the opening of the new film.

Complete Comic Plot Spoiler (no film spoiler):

A Romulan (Eric Bana) from the original timeline goes back in time (along with Nimoy's Spock in pursuit) hell bent on revenge for the destruction of the capitol planets of the Romulan empire.

Film Spoiler:

He shows up and kills Kirk's father (all alluded to in the last TV trailer) in the past and everything diverges from there. In the end though, Bana causes major havoc and the point is, it isn't "undone" but rather it become the new timeline, thus preserving the old one in a sci-fi way whilst providing the "reboot."

I was a fan of Trek prior to ever seeing Star Wars. I was 4 when my dad plopped me down in front of the TV during its historic run through syndication in the early 70's. That show scared the bejeesus out of me: that salt vampire still skeeves me to this day. I don't have Vulcan ears, but could go toe to toe with timc with the trek banter all day long. :bringit:

I'm curious as to what other fans think. I have enjoyed the reboots of Batman and Bond, and this looks to be along those lines. Sure, it's a new Captain Kirk, but the kid looks to be up to the task, and with the recent zeitgeist of Captains Phillips and Sullenberger (let's face it, the only guys lately to have the balls to make a tough decision and see it to the final end in a fully responsible manner) and new kick ass Kirk looks ready to, well, kick ass. This film could rule the year, since the new Hunky Kirk & Spock will bring in the tweens and my Dad (who still loves the show from his college days) will be taking the wife to see it.

Although they aren't in this film, the character of Gary Mitchell, Finnegan, Decker, etc can all be brought back for sequels and that's just scratching the surface. Nancy Crater?

Here's my favorite clip thus far, because that is Bones. And if they've got Bones right well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HnBxWASurk

Oh yeah - :wacko: :withspockears:

All I can say is I'm excited to see this film. I might even stand in line to see it on the first day. Every trailer I've seen has been amazingly good.

May 8th can't come fast enough!!!! :wacko:

Early reviews have been fantastic. Even some non-Star Trek people have said it is excellent.

I grabbed two for the Thursday 7:00 showing since Fandango went on sale today. It'll continue my run of seeing the first showing. Although, I screwed up on checkout and forgot the get the IMAX showing :wacko:.

Oh well, except for the truly sucky Star Trek movies, I've always seen them more than once. Next time (probably the weekend) will be IMAX.

I love going to the first showing because that's the true die-hards and they usually dress up and such. I don't do the dress up thing...

If I say it's so-so, then it'll suck for the average person since I love most things Star Trek :D.

Early reviews have been fantastic. Even some non-Star Trek people have said it is excellent.

I grabbed two for the Thursday 7:00 showing since Fandango went on sale today. It'll continue my run of seeing the first showing. Although, I screwed up on checkout and forgot the get the IMAX showing :wacko:.

Oh well, except for the truly sucky Star Trek movies, I've always seen them more than once. Next time (probably the weekend) will be IMAX.

I love going to the first showing because that's the true die-hards and they usually dress up and such. I don't do the dress up thing...

If I say it's so-so, then it'll suck for the average person since I love most things Star Trek :D.

That's going to be key: some are turned off from the original series because they find it too nerdy/geeky or downright creepy. In running away from the original cast they'll increase the curiosity of those and with the other successful re-boots, along with the female fans of LOST, I think this is the 'fanboy' juggernaut of the year - and it'll succeed without fanboys.

The film franchise itself has never been very successful. The original cast films were hamstrung by what was mentioned above, while the NextGen films always were perceived as 2 part TV shows. With the exception of the borg film, that pretty much nails it. Really, if you look at the BO #'s, it's amazing they made it to 10 films:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/StarTrek.php

One film nipped the 150mil worldwide. Otherwise not close.

I will see it, but I'm a little skeptical mainly because J.J. Abrams is no Christopher Nolan.

I have a feeling this is going to be like Bryan Singer's Superman film from a few years back. Not terrible, but nothing like the "standard" version of the story.

• 2 weeks later...
I will see it, but I'm a little skeptical mainly because J.J. Abrams is no Christopher Nolan.

I have a feeling this is going to be like Bryan Singer's Superman film from a few years back. Not terrible, but nothing like the "standard" version of the story.

That Superman remake was just that - a remake. Even down to Luthor's nifty "real estate scheme involving the destruction of the United States" and outright lifted lines like "flying is still the safest way to travel."

Star Trek is a "reboot" grounded in science fiction that's going to account for everything while simultaneously pulling off a "do over" of the universe. Word of mouth on this is white hot, and TimC will be in bliss next weekend.... :wacko:

That Superman remake was just that - a remake. Even down to Luthor's nifty "real estate scheme involving the destruction of the United States" and outright lifted lines like "flying is still the safest way to travel."

Star Trek is a "reboot" grounded in science fiction that's going to account for everything while simultaneously pulling off a "do over" of the universe. Word of mouth on this is white hot, and TimC will be in bliss next weekend.... :wacko:

Like I said, I'll see it, but I'm skeptical and my expectations aren't real high. Not because it doesn't look cool or that the premise is flawed or anything of that nature. It's the character driven nature of the TV show that probably won't transfer to the big screen. Maybe Abrams will make the fanboy version that pleases everyone, but as someone who's never been a proponent of what I call Machismo Kirk, my enthusiasm is tempered.

I did see what apparently is billed as trailer #2 which I don't recall seeing before this afternoon on HDNet's "Ultimate Trailer Show", and I admit it made it look a little more cool than anything else I've seen.

Well, it kicked ass. For the most part.

This is defiinitely not your father's Star Trek. Throw basically everything out the door and start over. It rocks from the very first frame and only slows down a bit 3/4 of the way through for a while

with some weird dinosaur alien chase scene on some ice planet -- I don't know what the f that was except magically the original Spock and Scotty just happened to be there??? Also, you can appear on the flagship as an officer with zero experience and walk off the head of the department in 2 minutes (Uhura did this, Scotty did this, and yes even Kirk did this). These people promote faster than Carl Lewis. The Romulan bad guy was adequate, but not as spectacular as I'd read. The CGI spectacular but not overwhelming (as in the latest Star Wars movies). This is definitely character driven and well done. The whole gang plays out fantastic. I thought no one could be Kirk and Spock other than Shatner and Nimoy and they do a great job. Star Trek was always about the characters and if they didn't nail this, the movie fails horribly. Thankfully, they did.

It took some getting used to, but they did a fantastic job for the most part. Kirk and Spock have been reborn and it works, but there still will be only one Shatner and Nimoy. I can't wait to see it again in IMAX this time. :wacko:

A big part of me thinks it only goes downhill from here and wishes they'd stop now and leave Star Trek a proud franchise (especially now that Roddenberry is gone). But we all know Paramount will whore this puppy to death again. Hollywood sucks like that.

Edited by TimC

Well, it kicked ass. For the most part.

This is defiinitely not your father's Star Trek. Throw basically everything out the door and start over. It rocks from the very first frame and only slows down a bit 3/4 of the way through for a while

with some weird dinosaur alien chase scene on some ice planet -- I don't know what the f that was except magically the original Spock and Scotty just happened to be there??? Also, you can appear on the flagship as an officer with zero experience and walk off the head of the department in 2 minutes (Uhura did this, Scotty did this, and yes even Kirk did this). These people promote faster than Carl Lewis. The Romulan bad guy was adequate, but not as spectacular as I'd read. The CGI spectacular but not overwhelming (as in the latest Star Wars movies). This is definitely character driven and well done. The whole gang plays out fantastic. I thought no one could be Kirk and Spock other than Shatner and Nimoy and they do a great job. Star Trek was always about the characters and if they didn't nail this, the movie fails horribly. Thankfully, they did.

It took some getting used to, but they did a fantastic job for the most part. Kirk and Spock have been reborn and it works, but there still will be only one Shatner and Nimoy. I can't wait to see it again in IMAX this time. :D

A big part of me thinks it only goes downhill from here and wishes they'd stop now and leave Star Trek a proud franchise (especially now that Roddenberry is gone). But we all know Paramount will whore this puppy to death again. Hollywood sucks like that.

I loved it meself, and feel the same way about your what the f. It was like "we've got a kick ass opening 60 minutes, and a bad ass closing 50 minutes, so let's stitch them together in this 20 minute piece that you can drive a truck through." But the film was moving so fast at that point you really do not care.

Oh I can't wait for the sequels: bring on Gary Mitchell and let's go see some Talosions! :wacko:

Edited by Pope Flick

I'm seeing it tonight at the Cinemadome (Arclight) in Hollywood. The show has been sold out for weeks so I expect a high level of geekosity besides myself.

You may have to wear your pointy ears to fit in. :wacko: