[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coming to terms with a draft pick before the draft

dabuffbills

Coming to terms with a draft pick before the draft  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Does it take away from the excitement?

• I don't mind it when teams strike a deal with a player before he is drafted
    • I don't like it when teams strike a deal before the draft because it takes away from the excitement and suspense

Due to the recent news that the Lions are close to making a deal with Stafford, do you like it when teams come to terms with a player before he is drafted?

Personally I don't really like it because it takes away from the suspense on draft day. The #1 pick is hardly a surprise anymore. How long have they done this?

I think it’s a fair advantage for the team with the first pick in the draft. They had the worst record the year before. Give them a break.

There isn’t that much suspense, because most of the time everyone has a pretty good idea who the first pick is anyway.

Tell that to Reggie Bush.

the draft is so much more than the first pick or two, so I couldn't care less. I do think it's wrong that if a team comes to terms with the first pick that they don't allow the second team to do the same.

DET said they'll have a deal in place with their #1 by end of day Friday, so why shouldn't STL be allowed the opportunity to do the same with #2 and the same with KC?

Exactly, so long as the #2 team does not sign anyone until AFTER the #1 team has done so. And #3 does not sign anyone until AFTER #2 signs someone and so on.

I fail to see any problem here, either with the teams presigning the #1 or how it impacts me in any way. It's good business and sets the stage for the second pick, which becomes wide open for speculation and is just as important as 1.01.

:wacko: all around on this.

My issue is more with the way draft picks are signed in general and how much money they get without having played a down in the NFL. How many millions of dollars have been wasted on bust draft picks? NFL Owners must lose hair in clumps around rookie signings.

The new CBA really needs to address this. Draft picks should have assigned salaries based on the draft slot they were taken. The big money being paid now should be re-routed to the vets by raising the minimum salary and other such measures.

My issue is more with the way draft picks are signed in general and how much money they get without having played a down in the NFL. How many millions of dollars have been wasted on bust draft picks? NFL Owners must lose hair in clumps around rookie signings.

The new CBA really needs to address this. Draft picks should have assigned salaries based on the draft slot they were taken. The big money being paid now should be re-routed to the vets by raising the minimum salary and other such measures.

There may have never been a post made on these boards that I agree with more than this one.

Stop dropping tens of millions of dollars on a player until he has earned them by producing at the nfl level!!! Even for those who are not busts, they should have to earn it. I mean what would we be asking of them anyway, to survive on a mere 1 million a year for a year or 2? Something tells me they would make it. Then after they prove they are a productive NFL player, pay them the going rate.

Well why don't you call him up and ask him yourself?

I lost his number.

My point was, and you know it, was the Texans had he and Mario Williams both negotiated to the point of contract term and amount a couple days before the draft. I would imagine and I bet he's even said he was surprised they didn't pick him when he found out friday or whenever.

I look forward to seeing how your mock plays out. You talk a good game, better than me for sure. I couldn't go beyond the first 35 or so picks with any knowledge at all.

My point was, and you know it, was the Texans had he and Mario Williams both negotiated to the point of contract term and amount a couple days before the draft. I would imagine and I bet he's even said he was surprised they didn't pick him when he found out friday or whenever.

I look forward to seeing how your mock plays out. You talk a good game, better than me for sure. I couldn't go beyond the first 35 or so picks with any knowledge at all.

I just think if Bush didn't see that one coming then shame on him and the people he surrounds himself with.

I just love to talk football. I could get all of my picks wrong. I do this in fun. I sometimes go for months without posting on a board and then I get into something, usually like the draft and have a great time with it.

I try my hardest to respect other people’s opinion and I stay away from personally attacking anyone. If they come at me I will ignore them at first, but if they keep coming then I will snap back a little. Sometimes when I first get to a board there are a few who aren’t very welcoming to someone new posting so much. But after they get to know me and see that I will respect them if they respect me then I think they appreciate someone like me who tries to keep a conversation going.

The only thing I know for sure is that I am not always right and I like to keep an open enough mind that someone could change it.