[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Speculation that Marino was on drugs prior to the 1983 draft

keggerz

Not sure if anyone saw this or not but NFLN had a show on the other day about the top 10(i think) Draft Steals...

Marino came in listed at #5 and part of what they said was that his fall to Miami at 22(or was it 23) was due to speculation

he may have been on or using drugs and then it was said that some expected that RUMOR may have come from teams drafting later in the 1st round in hopes of him falling...just goes to show that the dog and pony smoke show has been going on for years

Edited by keggerz

That rumor was live and well way before the draft ever started. I can not say for sure that he was not but I have known him since he was a 6th grader and to me he honestly always looked stoned. He even talked like he was stoned. I know lots of people that partied with him in college but I never did as he was four years ahead of me but none of them ever said that he was using drugs. It still looked like it to the average person though and I am pretty sure that is why the Steelers passed on him that year.

There's a difference in teams lying about players and spreading rumors about players so they fall down the draft list. Those players lose out on millions of dollars just because some dude started a rumor? That should be litigious if you ask me.

There's a difference in teams lying about players and spreading rumors about players so they fall down the draft list. Those players lose out on millions of dollars just because some dude started a rumor? That should be litigious if you ask me.

This year the NFL came out directly and said the USC linebackers didn't test positive. They should have (along with college teams) done that in the past.

In 1983 what was the difference in Todd Blackledge's and Marino's contracts?

The title is a little misleading. :wacko:

I'm pretty surprised actually that Pittsburgh didn't have better information on Marino since he played for Pitt.

wasn't meant to be...and if I remember correctly it did have WAS in the title meaning past tense :D and with the Draft a

day away I guess I didnt realize I needed to include this was prior to the draft in 83 :D

Title edited to add timeline

thanks

I'm pretty surprised actually that Pittsburgh didn't have better information on Marino since he played for Pitt.

Me too.

I mean Marino's father knew Dan Rooney for sure and I would think that if they thought he was on drugs that Marino would have taken a drug test. He wanted to be a Steeler for sure but something made them pass on him.

wasn't meant to be...and if I remember correctly it did have WAS in the title meaning past tense :D and with the Draft a

day away I guess I didnt realize I needed to include this was prior to the draft in 83 :wacko:

thanks

It's misleading because the speculation was in fact a rumor that was fabricated prior to the 83 draft & has since been refuted. The way it read said to me that it was now being speculated that Marino was using drugs... assuming it was during or previous to his NFL career.

Me too.

I mean Marino's father knew Dan Rooney for sure and I would think that if they thought he was on drugs that Marino would have taken a drug test. He wanted to be a Steeler for sure but something made them pass on him.

Makes you wonder if the rumors were actually true.

Not sure if anyone saw this or not but NFLN had a show on the other day about the top 10(i think) Draft Steals...

Marino came in listed at #5 and part of what they said was that his fall to Miami at 22(or was it 23) was due to speculation

he may have been on or using drugs and then it was said that some expected that RUMOR may have come from teams drafting later in the 1st round in hopes of him falling...just goes to show that the dog and pony smoke show has been going on for years

To dan's credit... It was the 80's. :wacko: