[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty rankings for Rooks

Jackass

Initial Reaction would be:

1. Moreno - Den. should start very soon

2. Wells - Zona. Ditto

3. Crabtree- SF. Close call here b/t him and Brown.

4. Brown - Indy. Interesting situation. Will Addai be phased out after a year or so?

5. McCoy - Philly. Could be a good Long term play. Westbrook is 30

6. Maclin? -Philly. See a big dropoff after pick 1.05.

I should edit to add that these rankings are for a non ppr league

Edited by Jackass

Very weak draft fantasy wise. Moreno only great pick here. Jordan, Torain and Buckhalter are no Moreno. Great O-line too. And I'm sure someone will come out of nowhere like they always do. Nicks looks to be a good fantasy prospect if the Giants don't get Edwards still (for next years picks?).

To me, WR's are deeper than 2008 and maybe TE. RB are no where close to 2008. QB's --we will have to wait and see. I for one am having a real hard time ranking these guys. I am in 6 rookie drafts. I have a 1.2, 1.3 , 1.4, 1.7 & 1.11 & 1.12. I feel almost as good about 1.11 & 1.12 as the others.

QB's- Just don't know about these guys. I don't see an immediate impact, but maybe long term.

RB's- Moreno will be okay. Wells appears to be in a good situation but they just don't run much. Brown I would be scared of. It may be a RBBC if Addai gets fired up. McCoy might be good if you own Westbrook.

WR's- DHB , I don't like. Crabtree, Maclin, Britt, Nicks , Harvin , Robiskie --I really like the WR corp.

Te's- There some players there.

If I was ranking the top 12 ( assuming a 12 team league) here you go:

1. Moreno

2. Wells

3. Crabtree

4. Maclin

5. McCoy

6. Brown

7. Sanchez

8. Stafford

9. Harvin

10. Nicks

11. Britt

12. DHB

Non-ppr rankings

But as I said, I have no clue.

Full disclosure: I don't own any draft picks in any dynasty/contract league where Moreno or any other potential top 5 FF rooks will be available (in other words, this isn't a smokescreen.

I don't like where Moreno landed in the least. He's going to have to be the bonafide lovechild of Walter Payton/Gayle Sayers that some draft geniuses are proclaiming him to be to be worthy of a rookie FF 1.01. If he's just a solid RB, DEN is going to have a corral full of RBs, even after McDaniels is forced by roster limitations to cut at least 2 on the current roster (I'd be watching very, very closely where those two land if they are Jordan and/or Torain). Secondly, McDanels is showing that he intends to be Belicheck Jr - right down to being an outright arrogant prick and wearing hoodies - which could very well mean regardless of whether Moreno is the Payton/Sayers lovechild he may be splitting time with possibly 2 other RBs on a regular basis. Thirdly, and most importantly, with as horrible as the D figures to be with little upgrade in the front 7 and absolutely no upgrade on the line, learning a new system, and not having players shaped for the new system, the O figures to be throwing a ton in the second half of games as DEN finds itself 2 TDs or more behind. Even worse, either of the guys figuring to play QB don't have big strike potential, meaning that even as they are playing catchup, they'll still be burning up game clock as they have to move the chains down the field with short/midrange passes. I just don't see Moreno getting enough opportunity, and it very well could carry over for a few years since McDaniels seems like he doesn't have a frickin' clue and the franchise is headed the wrong way down the tracks. Even if he is fired after 2 years, he could have decimated the team enough to make them losers for another 5 years or more. This is the patently obvious McDaniels idiot factor.

Don't like Wells - he'll be sharing the workload and he has shown in his career that he doesn't have much of a threshold for pain. The pain thing is a real issue, because if he couldn't stay on the field in a college schedule, he'll never stand a chance in a pro schedule.

Love Crabtree, Maclin, & Brown. All three landed in places where there is tremenous immediate opportunity, and they all have the goods to take advantage of it. Maclin will become McNabb's security blanket, moves Jackson to the slot where he belongs (and can get some breathers and continue to play special teams), and moves Curtis to where he belongs, which is the #2 WR/deep threat. He's still a rookie, but 70 catches/1000 yds/6 TDs is well within reach. Crabtree is the real deal and will immediately become the #1 WR in SF. If someone can get him the football, he could go upwards of 80 catches and 1100 yds with 5-6 TDs. They'll still be throwing a lot in SF, especially in the second half, though they are getting better. Brown lands in a pefect spot. Powerful O, large running lanes, and likely additional DBs on the field, protecting leads in the second half. He pushes Addai where he belongs into situational work, but Addai takes enough of the load where Brown will only have to take on 18 carries a game. Brown has a great chance of never hitting the rookie wall and he should be productive week in and week out. Of the rookie RBs, I like his chances the best.

Non-PPR tiers (top 14):

1. Moreno / Wells - the bell cows

2. Crabtree / Brown - the next best thing

3. Greene / McCoy - sharing or playing the waiting game

4. Maclin / Nicks / Stafford - won't take long to be the starter in decent situations

5. Sanchez / Hey-Bey / Britt - not as good of landing spots as the tier above

6 Harvin / Freeman - high upside guys

This is the patently obvious McDaniels idiot factor.

To be completely fair, and in full disclosure I must say that I can't stand the Broncos, I think the Bronco fans might want to give McDaniels a chance to make something happen before you keep throwing him under the bus.

Just a few things to remind you of:

1) While I have thought Shanahan was a good coach for a long time, he simply wasn't making progress with the team. Denver has hovered at "Slightly Better than Average" since they won their last SB. They are not typically named in the "Elite of the AFC" Discussion. It probably was time for a change in direction.

2) A change in direction does not happen overnight, and it is not about making one or two specific moves. It's about building an organization and a philosophy, because that's what it takes to succeed in the NFL in 2009 and beyond.

3) The Denver defense has sucked for years. One draft is not going to rebuild, make or break it. The thing that McDaniels did in this draft is make sure that the one part of the D that is already strong stays strong. It's not an ineffective thing to do. Using the Patriots as an example, their secondary has not been among the best in the league over the last 8 years. It's often been middle of the road. It's been helped by the play of the front seven, and that seems to be where Belichick likes to put his defensive eggs. But back in the early Belichick years, before he had a chance to put his type of D on the field, it was just the opposite. In the first SB, it was the Secondary and not the front seven that was the key to the defense. Wait and see how he rebuilds it, and comment then. It's simply going to take some time.

4) One thing that the DEN Fanbase isn't looking at is that the NE Offense for the several years preceding Moss was a very dink-and-dunk style of offense, and even with Moss it retains a fair amount of those components. Kyle Orton can play that offense. Moreno will help with that offense, as will Arrington. Buckhalter will likely be the pounder. I think Moreno will have value as a rusher and a pass catcher. I think Arrington and Buckhalter will vulture some value, but not as much as people think.

I think McDaniels has a plan, and I think it's worth it for people to give him a shot to execute it. I think with that deep secondary, the Denver D will be a little better than people expect. He took 4 defensive players in the first 4 rounds, and I would expect that three of them will contribute immediately in the kicking game, while at least two will contribute in the defense early on.

I think I am going to be sick after typing that rainbow-crap about the Donkeys. :wacko:

I don't like where Moreno landed in the least. He's going to have to be the bonafide lovechild of Walter Payton/Gayle Sayers that some draft geniuses are proclaiming him to be to be worthy of a rookie FF 1.01. If he's just a solid RB, DEN is going to have a corral full of RBs, even after McDaniels is forced by roster limitations to cut at least 2 on the current roster (I'd be watching very, very closely where those two land if they are Jordan and/or Torain).

I don't see how having correll buckhalter and jj arrington somehow makes you set at RB. it doesn't really matter how "full" your stable is if all your horses are glue-nags. it's about quality not quantity, and none of the backs on the roster should pose much of a threat to a healthy moreno's touches. now maybe you can question whether, instead of buckhalter AND arrington AND jordan, maybe they should have spent some of that money on, say, a similarly serviceable (mediocre) player at some other positions.

Don't like Wells - he'll be sharing the workload and he has shown in his career that he doesn't have much of a threshold for pain. The pain thing is a real issue, because if he couldn't stay on the field in a college schedule, he'll never stand a chance in a pro schedule.

Love Crabtree, Maclin, & Brown. All three landed in places where there is tremenous immediate opportunity, and they all have the goods to take advantage of it. Maclin will become McNabb's security blanket, moves Jackson to the slot where he belongs (and can get some breathers and continue to play special teams), and moves Curtis to where he belongs, which is the #2 WR/deep threat. He's still a rookie, but 70 catches/1000 yds/6 TDs is well within reach. Crabtree is the real deal and will immediately become the #1 WR in SF. If someone can get him the football, he could go upwards of 80 catches and 1100 yds with 5-6 TDs. They'll still be throwing a lot in SF, especially in the second half, though they are getting better. Brown lands in a pefect spot. Powerful O, large running lanes, and likely additional DBs on the field, protecting leads in the second half. He pushes Addai where he belongs into situational work, but Addai takes enough of the load where Brown will only have to take on 18 carries a game. Brown has a great chance of never hitting the rookie wall and he should be productive week in and week out. Of the rookie RBs, I like his chances the best.

Wells' final year he ran out of bounds a lot to save himself for this. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

If McDaniels gets fired early and Nolan takes over I like Moreno.

I don't see how having correll buckhalter and jj arrington somehow makes you set at RB. it doesn't really matter how "full" your stable is if all your horses are glue-nags. it's about quality not quantity, and none of the backs on the roster should pose much of a threat to a healthy moreno's touches. now maybe you can question whether, instead of buckhalter AND arrington AND jordan, maybe they should have spent some of that money on, say, a similarly serviceable (mediocre) player at some other positions.

I would have been ecstatic to see serviceable/mediocre players obtained during FA that could play NT & DE in a 3-4. It would have been a major upgrade.

And again, I'll point to the actual numbers as to how well DEN ran the ball last year despite having to go so deep into the depth chart (actually clear off the depth chart) at RB. Some combination of 2 to 3 guys would have been melded together to provide a very good running game and then draft picks used to address the D.

I believe that it is a common working philosophy of successful programs that a team uses FA and the draft as two different means to fill weaknesses in your team. I do not understand why you spend FA $$$ on 3 FA RBs and then burn your first pick in the draft on RB also, unless the cupboard is literally completely bare at RB - which it isn't. The same thing goes with DBs. You burn FA $$$ on 3 DBs and then draft 3 more the same year? That makes no sense whatsoever. The two methods of acquisition ought to be complimentary, not redundant.

And that doesn't address pissing away their own 1st rounder next year for a 2nd round CB, or using two 3rd rounders to move into the last position in the second round for a TE who doesn't catch when there are already two proven TEs on the roster.

All evidence suggests that McDaniels (and Xanders) just don't get it. Put all this player acquisition together with pissing away a franchise QB among other moves before the draft, and then the blatant lying in both the Cutler & Moreno communications, and we are seeing a body of work that suggests that McDaniels in way over his head.

Edited by Bronco Billy

How many "years" is years? Cuz just a few years ago, they were pretty damn good. The mistake was firing Larry Coyer, then compounding it with Jim Bates.

They had one year where they were "pretty damn good", in 2005. Otherwise they have been middle of the roadish since 2001, and completely terrible in 2007 and 2008.

After a quick look at the standings Since 2001, the Bronco's conference finish in points allowed (16 teams)

2001: 12th

2002: 8th

2003: 6th

2004: 7th

2005: T-2nd

2006: 7th

2007: 14th

2008: 16th

Not impressive.

I would have been ecstatic to see serviceable/mediocre players obtained during FA that could play NT & DE in a 3-4. It would have been a major upgrade.

And again, I'll point to the actual numbers as to how well DEN ran the ball last year despite having to go so deep into the depth chart (actually clear off the depth chart) at RB. Some combination of 2 to 3 guys would have been melded together to provide a very good running game and then draft picks used to address the D.

I believe that it is a common working philosophy of successful programs that a team uses FA and the draft as two different means to fill weaknesses in your team. I do not understand why you spend FA $$$ on 3 FA RBs and then burn your first pick in the draft on RB also, unless the cupboard is literally completely bare at RB - which it isn't. The same thing goes with DBs. You burn FA $$$ on 3 DBs and then draft 3 more the same year? That makes no sense whatsoever. The two methods of acquisition ought to be complimentary, not redundant.

And that doesn't address pissing away their own 1st rounder next year for a 2nd round CB, or using two 3rd rounders to move into the last position in the second round for a TE who doesn't catch when there are already two proven TEs on the roster.

All evidence suggests that McDaniels (and Xanders) just don't get it. Put all this player acquisition together with pissing away a franchise QB among other moves before the draft, and then the blatant lying in both the Cutler & Moreno communications, and we are seeing a body of work that suggests that McDaniels in way over his head.

I agree with everything except the bolded part. I think knowshon as a clear #1 with support from buck, arrington, hillis, et al will be a far more effective

backfield than the frankenstein spare parts mess they were looking at before.

I give the broncos a B+ for the moreno pick, and an A- for their first round if you include getting ayers. I give the rest of their draft an F, for many of the reasons you list. especially the trade away of next year's first rounder.

You think Stafford's FF situation is better than Sanchez's? I mean, I know he has megatron, but NYJ's OL is much better and the overall weapons are better and he'll start much sooner than Stafford and put up better numbers sooner. Granted, if Pettigrew is as good a receiver as some suggest he is, that'll help a whole bunch.

Stafford has Calvin J and an organization that isn't expected to be good for awhile. He has Culpepper to take some of the blame when they do bad.

Sanchez has Cotchery and not much else. He only started 14 games, so his learning curve will take much longer. Clemens is not a great model to learn from. Add in the immense pressure of New York football and the need to win now.

So, yes, I think Stafford's situation is better. Less pressure, better weapons, and more prepared for the pro game.