[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Golf equipment advice

Jimmy Neutron

. I'm not a big hitter so the hybrid clubs replacing the 3 and 4 irons in the set have made a hugh difference for me.

I guess the point I'm making is that you don't have to go with a big name, big $$$ club to get good quality gear that you can play and will help your game.

+1 to all Kid wrote.

I did'nt think I'd like hybrids and when I first started playing them , I did'nt. LOVE them now.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year, I went and got a set of Nickent 3DX Hybrids that I find to be something really special. I'm not a big hitter so the hybrid clubs replacing the 3 and 4 irons in the set have made a hugh difference for me. Very forgiving clubs for a hacker like myself and the price was incredible, $259 with graphite shafts.

I guess the point I'm making is that you don't have to go with a big name, big $$$ club to get good quality gear that you can play and will help your game.

Hey, thats a good set!!! Nickent is also a top brand. Not top 3, but they are certainly in the top 10. They absolutely dominate the Nationwide tour. They just don't have the money to pay the big name players to play their stuf. Their hybrids are fantastic, and have been for years. They also make the most forgiving golf set on the planet (their full hybrid set). But the 3DX stuff is really good. Golfdiscount.com has the same set for 249 i think.

Okay, I'll break it down a little. Every company makes a set built for every handicap. Each company has a forged muscle back (a good player's club) a midsized cavity back club, and an oversized cavity game improvement club (the clubs built for the weekend hacker/slicer). There really aren't major performance differences between any of them in their respective categories. Taylor made makes a club built for a 22 handicap. So does Cobra. So does Nickent, etc.

A proper fitting will give you the idea which category you need to be looking in, and what kind of shaft to get (graphite or steel) and what flex (stiff, regular, seniors, ladies). They will also prescribe some custom measurements if you need them (90% of guys 5'9-6'1 will fall into standard specs).

After you find out what category you need, look at the irons. Look at the Callaway, look at the Mizuno, look at the crappy shoes from spammers. A couple of them are gonna look sexy and cool, and a couple, eh, won't thrill you. Take a couple of the ones that you think are sexy and cool, and go hit them. You'll know which set you really like. That is the set for you. Confidence is the biggest part of golf. Get something that looks good to you that you really think you are going to hit well, and can't wait to play with. You really will hit them better than some clubs you almost bought just because your playing partner thinks they are cool. Aesthetics are everything. They've all got good technology.

Edited by Seahawks21

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't get away from the R7 Draws (stiff steel) and found a screamin' deal on a set. Also bought a new Burner driver and Rescue 5 to round out my TM bag. I already had a Rescue 3 that I love.

The R7 irons are just fantastic - feel great and are slightly longer and way more forgiving than my old knock-offs.

The Burner driver is a 10.5 and a little shorter than my old 8.5 Ti driver, but waaaay, waaaaaay more forgiving. I am not missing fairways at all with this club - unheard of for me with my previous drivers. I'm not trying to hit this club hard just yet, I suspect I'll get my distance back as I beging to trust it more and unleash big swings with it.

I really wish my iron set had come with a gap wedge - there is too much differenfce between my 46opitchign wedge and my 55o sand wedge. Will be adding a 60o wedge soon as well as the gap wedge.

Confidence is everything it seems and these new clubs instill a lot. I've knocked down a lot more pars and birdies in recent weeks and just missed eagle twice this week.

The goal is to break 80 by summer's end. Gotta cut out those dang double bogies... :wacko:

I really wish my iron set had come with a gap wedge - there is too much differenfce between my 46opitchign wedge and my 55o sand wedge. Will be adding a 60o wedge soon as well as the gap wedge.

You're going to carry 4 wedges? That seriously sounds like overkill.

You're going to carry 4 wedges? That seriously sounds like overkill.

I am a card carrying wedge whore. :wacko: I hit my clubs longer than most, so having more options for lower yardages works for me. My two hybrids fill the void normally filled with long irons nicely.

I pretty much gave up golf when I got the fishing boat. If you want to play a decent course here in KC you're gonna spend $40-$50, and I can put gas in the boat, some sandwhiches and drinks for the same amount and take the family out for a day.

Easy decision for me. I still have my Tommy Armour 845's, and hit 'em pretty well. Just haven't played yet this year and don't really have the desire. Maybe when the kids get older.

I pretty much gave up golf when I got the fishing boat. If you want to play a decent course here in KC you're gonna spend $40-$50, and I can put gas in the boat, some sandwhiches and drinks for the same amount and take the family out for a day.

Easy decision for me. I still have my Tommy Armour 845's, and hit 'em pretty well. Just haven't played yet this year and don't really have the desire. Maybe when the kids get older.

My oldest son is 12 and loves to golf with me. Him needing larger clubs played into my decision to upgrade. Now he can play my old sticks. :wacko:

Golf does get expensive, but so does any other hobby. I play most of my golf at the mouth of a windy canyon in the mornings - because of the wind, the course offers $7 rounds before 9:00 AM. I am all over that. I can play nine holes and be to work by 8:00 with little damage to my wallet.

I want to preface what I'm about to say with the fact that I am not a driver whore. There was a 3 year span where I wouldn't hit a driver off of a tee. After that, been using a $100 knockoff. But that being said,

I hit my buddy's R9 the other day and I don't think I'm ever hit a driver that far and that consistently straight. He has a superstiff shaft on it and I think it's setup to fight his slice (right-handed). Wow.

I want to preface what I'm about to say with the fact that I am not a driver whore. There was a 3 year span where I wouldn't hit a driver off of a tee. After that, been using a $100 knockoff. But that being said,

I hit my buddy's R9 the other day and I don't think I'm ever hit a driver that far and that consistently straight. He has a superstiff shaft on it and I think it's setup to fight his slice (right-handed). Wow.

You may want to grab your buddy's superstiff shaft and swing it more often.

I hit my clubs longer than most, so having more options for lower yardages works for me.

Wow. Do you need a wheelbarrow to carry your huge penis around in?

I hit anything under 120 with a sand wedge, and I have no complaints. I have a full swing, a 3/4 swing, a half-swing, a short pitch, and a wristless putting stroke. It gets the job done. If I need to get up and down over a tree, I open the club face.

I hit anything under 120 with a sand wedge, and I have no complaints. I have a full swing, a 3/4 swing, a half-swing, a short pitch, and a wristless putting stroke. It gets the job done. If I need to get up and down over a tree, I open the club face.

I only hit my PW 120. 52 GW from there to about 90 and chipping. SW from there in and of course green side bunkers. LW for flopping.

Can't knock down my PW for poopy. Straight as an arrow most times with a full swing though.

Nice avy. :wacko:

I hit anything under 120 with a sand wedge, and I have no complaints. I have a full swing, a 3/4 swing, a half-swing, a short pitch, and a wristless putting stroke.

I used to play the game that way. However, I find myself inside of that 120 way to often. If I am going to be there then I may as well carry the clubs that I can swing the best and get to the target with. My best swing is almost my full swing so I have three clubs that I will use inside of that 120. If I had room there would be one more.

I used to play the game that way. However, I find myself inside of that 120 way to often. If I am going to be there then I may as well carry the clubs that I can swing the best and get to the target with. My best swing is almost my full swing so I have three clubs that I will use inside of that 120. If I had room there would be one more.

How many clubs do you carry then?

1 DR

2 3+W

3 5W

4 3I

5 4I

6 5I

7 6I

8 7I

9 8I

10 9I

11 PW

12 SW

13 Putter

So, I guess I could fit one more...

:wacko: though... I did a search for "how many clubs can you carry" because I couldn't remember, and the first thing that came up was this message board topic, where the thread quickly devolved into other people making fun of carrying 4 wedges.

1 DR

2 3+W

3 5W

4 3I

5 4I

6 5I

7 6I

8 7I

9 8I

10 9I

11 PW

12 SW

13 Putter

So, I guess I could fit one more...

:D though... I did a search for "how many clubs can you carry" because I couldn't remember, and the first thing that came up was this message board topic, where the thread quickly devolved into other people making fun of carrying 4 wedges.

Actually, I only see one person questioning carrying 4 wedges.

I do see one guy in that thread that says he carries two drivers, one with a lower loft for windy days :wacko:

Sounds like we got a lot of scratch golfers in this thread seeing as you all hit your one wedge so awesome :D

Personally I carry 3 wedges at the moment, but really only use 2 of them.

And it should be noted...if you have a ball retriever in your bag...that is technically considered one of your allowed 14 clubs.

What the hell is it with you and penis talk? :wacko:

It would seem I'm not the only guy playing 4 wedges - it may not be totally crazy. Go figure.

It would seem I'm not the only guy playing 4 wedges - it may not be totally crazy. Go figure.

I carry four wedges (five if you include the pitch wedge); AW, SW, GW, LW. And that's mostly because of my lack of touch around the green.

Edited by Tford

I carry 14.

Driver, 3 Wood, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, SW, GapW, LW, Putter.

Now and then I will toss out the 3 wood and carry the HiBred 2i but I don't have the faith in that club that I used to so I only pull it out on holes open to the left or if I have an uphill lie.

While it's being thrown out there:

Driver

Hybrid 3

Hybrid 5

5-9 Irons

PW, SW, L, a vintage chipping club my late grandpa gave me and putter. Leaves room for the gap wedge I didn't get with my new sticks. I'd like to find one that matches the new irons, as I like the SW so far. I just picked up a used Cleveland 588 60o wedge. If Iike it, I'll probably stand pat and find a misc. gap wedge. If I don't like the new Cleveland, I may spring for new Vokeys in 52, 56 and 60 degrees.

BTW - I hit my irons long because of bad habits, not because of my large member. ( :wacko: ) I am most comfortable in a hands forward, closed club face address. I generally play 2-3 clubs less than by buddies on each shot, one of whom is significantly better than I am. I am trying to corrct this, but damn is a classic address uncomfortable to me!

Tried out a Ping CrazE putter today at the golf shop - really like it. If (when) I become disenchanted with my current putter, I know what's on deck.