[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is horse racing abuse?

loaf

When did loaf become the new voice of PITA?

I actually heard an interview today on NPR with (I believe) a trainer and found it amazing how well these horses are pampered & taken care of as well as how well they know these horses. They even have "friend" horses that they travel with so they have "someone" familiar with them at all times.

First of all, whipping them around the track is a comment that is just short sighted. Nobody whips a horse around a track.

Secondly, whipping would be the furthest thing from abuse that I can think of in that sport. There are other issues that should be tackled first, like the use of enhancements.

beating an animal for gain?

These are animals that are born and bred to run. The animals are pampered for most of their lives except during the final stretches of a race. While all horses at all tracks in all stables are not perfectly tended to at all times, it is ignorant to think these animals are being mistreated on the track.

Something tells me that you are still thinking about Mine that Bird. Comments?

No.

It's more about the trainers that have been suspended in the past for using drugs on their horses and there's not a big crackdown on that. Although they try to crackdown on big race days, there's limited supervision of this around the country on "normal days". I mean, a 10K claimer at Delta Downs most likely has more than half the field not physically right, and trainers will pump their horses up for a buck.

IF Mine That Bird was on the juice for the KD, we would have seen evidence of that today. Instead, what we are seeing is a 3 year old animal come into his own, and he would have won the race today if he got the trip. Smith was 6 wide on the turn, got checked up at the 1/4 pole, and only lost by a length. He's a star and a gelding, so we'll be seeing him race for many years.

Rachel Alexandra...now there's a champion. She could become a legend if they do this the right way. She's that good.

IF Mine That Bird was on the juice for the KD, we would have seen evidence of that today. Instead, what we are seeing is a 3 year old animal come into his own, and he would have won the race today if he got the trip. Smith was 6 wide on the turn, got checked up at the 1/4 pole, and only lost by a length. He's a star and a gelding, so we'll be seeing him race for many years.

Not to mention he was carrying 5 more lbs. than the filly. That's a pretty stupid rule IMO.

These horses love to run hard - it's what they are born to do.

I'm not sure about the whipping thing. Unfortunately, it's probably the easiest way for people to train them "it's time to go.' I'm not sure it really hurts them - a good whipping is sometimes downright enjoyable and really helps performance. :wacko:

Do race horses have timeout chairs?

:wacko:

The fact that these horses occasionally die on the track (with thousands of people cheering them on) pretty much sums up the answer to Loaf's question.
I must be more dense as the Huddle years go by because more & more I really don't get some peoples comments. I haven't a clue how that answers Loaf's question. Are you somehow equating horse racing to something of the sort of bull fighting? If so, last time I checked nobody shoved a sword into any of these horses.

The fact that these horses occasionally die on the track (with thousands of people cheering them on) pretty much sums up the answer to Loaf's question.

What's your opinion on MMA and how it relates to the ethical treatment of humans?

I have shoved a steak-knife into one of them, but it was already dead, so I'm not sure if that counts.

Brings back memories of Jack-in-the-box getting dinged years ago for using horse meat in their burgers.

What's your opinion on MMA and how it relates to the ethical treatment of humans?

Meh, humans have a choice. I'd say horses do as well, but they don't know anything else. That still doesn't justify the comparison.