[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

cali bailout

dmarc117

I hope and pray we don't go down that road, but I'm afraid we will. It is only a matter of time our whole country goes the way of California, as our federal government is starting to mirror California's failed policies.

Now California's mostly Democratic political class will petition Washington for a bailout to nourish the public sector that is suffocating the state's dwindling -- and departing -- private sector...

Not sure if he's attempting to imply something about the election, but the fact is this; the OC Register (that he cited) was very influential in this election which was predominately voted on by Republicans. They more than carried the day on the anti-tax measures. So perhaps Cali is the beginning of the Republican backlash? :wacko:

In other words, this quote seems to imply democrats voted no to get onto Washington's teat, but that wasn't the case. We're not nrealy that clever out here.

Doesn't a popular vote of no tax raises imply that the voters of California want their State Government to spend less like the rest of us are doing in our businesses and families? How fricken disrespecful to then do an end around and go running to the Federal Government! Basically saying if the people of California (by a vote of 2 to 1) won't allow us to squeeze them out of any more money during this recession, then we'll get President Obama to force them (and the rest of the nation) to pay us the money that we demand.

Arnold: "If you don't give us your money, I'm going to tell my Dad."

Not sure if he's attempting to imply something about the election, but the fact is this; the OC Register (that he cited) was very influential in this election which was predominately voted on by Republicans. They more than carried the day on the anti-tax measures. So perhaps Cali is the beginning of the Republican backlash? :wacko:

I hate to admit it, but they're our only hope. In 2002-03, education, health, and social services account for 71 percent of total California state spending. That's were change needs to happen on the spending side. On the revenue collection side the income tax has been the most volatile source of revenue, though the top 1% of state residents ($500k or more) account for about 40% of the income tax revenue. It's obviously not working.

Edited by yo mama

Well, thank goodness Texas is showning us the way.

Unless they are going to return the tax dollars to the tax payes, I would rather my tax dollars go to enrich Texas than any other state. To the best of my knowledge Perry has agreed to only take money with no strings attached. That is only practical, and I have no real problem with it, other than it should have never been taken from the tax payers to begin with. A lot could be learned from Texas, which has been creating jobs while pretty much everyone else has been loosing them. How many states currently have a surplus? Which state is currenlty adding more new jobs than all others combined? Yeah you are right Texas is showing the way, unfortunatley I there are a lot of idiots that aren't watching.

After voters rejected propositions designed close a looming budget shortfall of $21 billion, California's dream has become our national nightmare.

Given the state's economic size, huge population and Electoral College importance, most observers believe some kind of federal bailout will soon be forthcoming.

California's referendum process is "dysfunctional" and the state is now paying a heavy price for the "split personality view" that you can maintain service without the tax revenues to pay for it, says University of Texas professor James Galbraith.

While very critical of the state, "the barn door is already opened on rewarding bad behavior," Galbraith says. "And you can't begin to compare the behavior of states and banks."

The economist and author declined to predict whether the government will bail out California, but notes $21 billion is a lot less than has been pledged to Bank of America, Citigroup, AIG, or myriad other financial firms. Even a federal guarantee of the roughly $2.8 trillion of U.S. muni debt outstanding would be but a fraction of the total cost of the financial sector's bailouts to date.

Regardless of what form, if any, a bailout of California (or other states) takes, Galbraith believes aid to states is an important "stabilizing factor" in the current environment, citing the "vital public services" they provide as well as related jobs. Had more been done at the beginning of the crisis to support the states (vs. the banks) it would have had a "substantial mitigating effect on the massive loss of jobs," he argues.

:wacko:

I can't wait to bail out California. They're such hard working people when not getting high, surfing or crossing the border illegally. Sweet deal for the rest of us in the other 45 or so states that actually have a work ethic.

In other words, this quote seems to imply democrats voted no to get onto Washington's teat, but that wasn't the case. We're not nrealy that clever out here.

Well, we can at least agree on one thing about California... :D

I think yo momma is turning... feel the force luke.

I'd vote Republican if they'd drop their right-wing social agenda and just focus on fiscal responsibility, which would require a massive shift in their (very expensive) foreign policy agenda.

Good lord, am I closet libertarian? :wacko:

I'd vote Republican if they'd drop their right-wing social agenda and just focus on fiscal responsibility, which would require a massive shift in their (very expensive) foreign policy agenda.

Good lord, am I closet libertarian? :wacko:

I think people who are honest usually float this way eventually. Once you come to the realization that the state can't fix A without fubaring B, or can't give you something without stealing it from someone else, and then you realize that both of the major parties are corrupt at this point (not that the libertarians couldn't become so, but they would have to veer from their stated agendas like our current two parties and the threat of losing their power should keep them in line if we got to that point)... :D

As soon as the money transfer is complete, the rest of us need to move in and take servants....

1.01 Ursa Majoris - sure he's older than dirt, but he can also clean it up like no one else.