[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Girls Basketball Questions

MikesVikes

I have a few questions about Women's college hoops.

1. Why do the women seem to have higher scoring games than the men?

2. Why do the female coaches have that "Where have you been all night!" scowl look on their faces when they are at courtside?

I have a question of my own: how did UConn as a 2 seed get to play on their home court against Penn State (a 1 seed)?

Edit to add: BTW, sice you are talking about college basketball, you should have titled the thread "Women's Basketball Questions" instead of "Girls Basketball Questions." :P

Originally posted by Squeegiebo:

I have a question of my own: how did UConn as a 2 seed get to play on their home court against Penn State (a 1 seed)?

... found that strange myself. thinking Same thing happened more than once in the boys bracket..... I mean Men's bracket. wink

It wouldn't have mattered last night where they played...... Taurazi was absolutely unstoppable. smash Best woman hoopster to ever lace'm up , IMHO. thumbs_u

[QB] I have a question of my own: how did UConn as a 2 seed get to play on their home court against Penn State (a 1 seed)?

It's just the bracket that Penn State got put into. They also had to play VaTech in Blacksburg before moving onto the East (Hartford, CT) Regional. If UConn would have won the Big Eastand not have lost as early as they did, they would have been the #1. Penn State was 2nd in the Big 10, but lost in the Championship game.

As a Penn State grad, I was very disappointed with the Bracket, but even more disappointed that we lost to UConn so badly.

I'm sure all you guys are extremely interested in post, but there's my 2 cents. yawn

QueenBee:

[QB] I have a question of my own: how did UConn as a 2 seed get to play on their home court against Penn State (a 1 seed)?

It's just the bracket that Penn State got put into. They also had to play VaTech in Blacksburg before moving onto the East (Hartford, CT) Regional. If UConn would have won the Big Eastand not have lost as early as they did, they would have been the #1. Penn State was 2nd in the Big 10, but lost in the Championship game.

As a Penn State grad, I was very disappointed with the Bracket, but even more disappointed that we lost to UConn so badly.

I'm sure all you guys are extremely interested in post, but there's my 2 cents. yawn

I believe that in the women's bracket, sites are predetermined, as in the men's bracket. But unlike the men's tournament, there is no rule saying that a team may not play a game at home if they are a host.

QueenBee:

Actually, as a UCONN and Penn State Grad, I was pretty schitzo during the game. I was sad to see PSU get such a lousy draw for their bracket, but I am happy that one of them advanced to the Final Four. At least this year we didn't have to listen to Auriemma whine about how all the male coaches are put into the same bracket to minimize their chances to get to the Final Four.

Big John:

QueenBee:

I believe that in the women's bracket, sites are predetermined, as in the men's bracket. But unlike the men's tournament, there is no rule saying that a team may not play a game at home if they are a host.
I thought the opening round games were not predetermined, that's why VA Tech got a game on their home court. PSU didn't have an open date. Only Sweet Sixteen and beyond are pre-determined.

Kid Cid:

I thought the opening round games were not predetermined, that's why VA Tech got a game on their home court. PSU didn't have an open date. Only Sweet Sixteen and beyond are pre-determined.

I believe they changed it this year to the predetermined site for all games. Prior to this year, the first 2 rounds were played at the higher seeded team.

The games are higher scoring for a number of reasons--

I believe the main reason is that women aren't as driven by ego as men. You don't see as much 1 on 1 basketball, which takes time, and doesn't lead to many open shots--ugly basketball. The women are more apt to make an extra pass to make sure the team scores, rather than them scoring personally.

another reason is practicing fundamentals. As many of the female players lack the athleticism to weave their way to a double-pump layup, they are forced to work over and over again on jump shots, 3-pointers in particular. I don't have the numbers handy, but there are far more 3 pointers taken in the women's gme.

Furthermore, it is easier to exploit mismatches. In the men's game, it is possible for someone to give up a few inches and be able to negate the advantage, through athleticism, speed and strength. In the women's game, these factors become less visible, and a size advantage becomes more difficult to overcome. Addign to this is that the difference of the average footspeed between the men and the women mean that when the defense provides help, it is there a half second later.