[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Foul Language

i_am_the_swammi

As parents of four kids, my wife and i are finally getting to the ages where we have a spongelike 9-year-old absorbing everything he hears at school and on the playground, then coming home and mixing with 7, 5 and 3 year-old siblings.

While my wife always hates it, I have let "crud", 'freakin" and even an occasion "crap" slide( :wacko: )...so long as they are not used at the dinner table, and ideally not used in a curse-like fashion.

So we're all watching TV last night, and sitting on the floor rolling this softball-sized ball to each other while laughing and goofing around. My 5-year-old boy misplayed the roll, and it hit him, well, in a very tender spot. He doubled over, yelling "You hit me right in the nutz!"....I burst out laughing, as did his older brother and sister. Our 3-year old girl asked "What part is his nutz?", prompting further laughter. My wife laughed with us, but was horriifed at the chain of events.

After we put the kids to bed, she asked me to be a little more strict in making sure they are respectful. While I agree to an extent, I'm not sure where to draw the line, and what words are commonplace to allow elementary school kids to say/use.

Other parents of 7-12 year-old kids?

What's wrong with nutz? :wacko:

:D I hear ya, and I think its funny moreso than vulgur...but I definitely don't want my 3-5 year old kids walking around talking about nuts/balls/etc...the whole subject is rather inappropriate for kids of such a young age. I'm not even sure I want my 9-year-old saying "My freakin nutz are killing me", or "Thank god my nutz are bigger than Irish's"...just seems wrong coming from the mouths of toddlers.

I guess you haven't taken him to an Eagles game yet. . .

My 9-year-old? Yep, last year....it was very interesting laughing together at some of the drunk meatballs in the stands saying whatever they felt. He's getting old enough that I can talk to him afterwards about what is appropriate, and what is not, and he gets it. We can sit and watch a PG movie (which has the occasional sex reference/nudity/language), and he knows that it was meant in humor, but not to say/do those things himself.

My 5-year-old...not a chance in hell he gets to an Eagles game for another 4-5 years.

In general, I think people get too worked up about this and think that there's not so much good spirited laughter going on that we should make a point of squashing any of it. I don't have a young child but was around when a friend of mine was scolding his kid regarding language. In their house, they draw the line at hurtful words directed at someone rather than words like nutz. They do stress the time and place element, mind you, like the dinner table and such.

I think we get far too freaked out about language and sexuality and not nearly freaked out enough about bloodshed and violence.

I have a 5 and 8 yr old son. You hear some stuff for sure.

Like the time my 8 yr old dropped his fork at the restaurant and said "sh-t" very loudly. He did this when he was three. At least he used it properly.

Or the time my 5yr old (also 3 at the time) asked his older brother if he was done drinking his f-cking orange juice.

Or the time my 5yr old, just a couple weeks ago, called his brother a goddamm sh-thead.

We obviously scold and give a swat on the fanny, but I cuss all the time. I know where they get it - from me. There is a time/place, but more importantly an age when that kind of talk is ok. They know what bad words are and that they're not to use them even if they hear dad say them.

I don't get too worked up about it.

And for what it's worth, my kids will oftentimes refer to their privates as their "chicken tenders".

Edited by Cunning Runt

Like the time my 8 yr old dropped his fork at the restaurant and said "sh-t" very loudly. He did this when he was three. At least he used it properly.

Or the time my 5yr old (also 3 at the time) asked his older brother if he was done drinking his f-cking orange juice.

Or the time my 5yr old, just a couple weeks ago, called his brother a goddamm sh-thead.

You must be so proud!

So I'm in a Y-guides program with my 7 year old boy. Another dad was telling a story about his 5 year old daughter who rides the bus with all ages of kids including HS kids. It is a private school so they partner up the little kids with HS kids. The kids were making a racket in the back of the bus and the bus driver walked to the back of the bus and told them to stop it. That's when his 5 year old daughter took the opportunity to call the bus drive a F'n F'er! She said "your a F'n F'er"!

Her dad's response to his wife upon being informed was "hey honey, you should be proud, she used and adjective and a noun in the same sentence!"

We freakin cracked up all weekend over that one!

So I'm in a Y-guides program with my 7 year old boy. Another dad was telling a story about his 5 year old daughter who rides the bus with all ages of kids including HS kids. It is a private school so they partner up the little kids with HS kids. The kids were making a racket in the back of the bus and the bus driver walked to the back of the bus and told them to stop it. That's when his 5 year old daughter took the opportunity to call the bus drive a F'n F'er! She said "your a F'n F'er"!

Her dad's response to his wife upon being informed was "hey honey, you should be proud, she used and adjective and a noun in the same sentence!"

We freakin cracked up all weekend over that one!

If I was the bus driver, I would have thrown left her on the nearest corner.

I tried not to use colorful language around my kids when they were young. But as the years went by and they got older I tended to slip up more and more. Now they're grown, for the most part, and I'm back to my colorful ways. Neither of my sons curse at all (around us), but I fear I may corrupt them yet. :wacko: