[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Al Gore likens fight against climate change to battle with Nazis...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/envi...icle6658672.ece

Al Gore today compared the battle against climate change with the struggle against the Nazis.

The former US Vice President said the world lacked the political will to act and invoked the spirit of Winston Churchill by encouraging leaders to unite their nations to fight climate change.

He also accused politicians around the world of exploiting ignorance about the dangers of global warming to avoid difficult decisions.

Speaking in Oxford at the Smith School World Forum on Enterprise and the Environment, sponsored by The Times, Mr Gore said: “Winston Churchill aroused this nation in heroic fashion to save civilisation in World War II.”

He added: “We have everything we need except political will but political will is a renewable resource.”

Mr Gore admitted that it was difficult to persuade the public that the threat from climate change was as urgent as the threat from Nazi Germany.

“The level of awareness and concern among populations has not crossed the threshold where political leaders feel that they must change.

“The only way politicians will act is if awareness raises to a level to make them feel that it’s a necessity.”

Mr Gore, who brought the issues around climate change to a mass audience with the 2006 documentary An Inconvenient Truth, said the great hope for the future lay in a high level of environmental awareness among young people.

He said sceptics who refused to believe dramatic cuts in carbon emissions could be delivered should consider the example of the young scientists in the NASA team which put a man on the moon on 1969.

“The average age of scientists in the space centre control room was 26, which means they were 18 when they heard President Kennedy say he wanted to put a man on the moon in 10 years. Neil Armstrong did it eight years and two months later.”

He said future generations would put one of two questions to today’s adults.

“It will either be ’what were you thinking, didn’t you see the North Pole melting before your eyes, didn’t you hear what the scientists were saying?’ Or they will ask ’how is it you were able to find the moral courage to solve the crisis which so many said couldn’t be solved?’.”

Sir David King, the Government’s former chief scientist and now director of the Smith School, also berated politicians for failing to follow up their statements on climate change with a clear programme of action.

“I do think it’s relatively easy for a prime minister to make a speech on climate change which sounds committed and very much more difficult for that prime minister to persuade the Treasury to put the finance behind that commitment to make it a reality.

“There is a long distance in government between saying what you think needs to be said and then doing in terms of making budgets available.”

Sir David expressed disappointment that no senior British politician had taken up his invitation to address a conference attended by the world’s top climate scientists, senior business leaders and the presidents of the Maldives and Rwanda.

“I tried to pull in a lot of IOUs. But where was Lord Mandelson (the Business Secretary), where was Ed Miliband (the Energy and Climate Change Secretary)? Where was David Cameron? Where was William Hague?”

Making a ridiculous comparison? CHECK

To be fair, it looks like he insinuated the lack of political will to fight GW has historical similarities to issues we've faced in the past. You can argue the merits of that comparison

But in the copied and pasted article, I didn't see anything close what the thread title claims. Did he even mention Nazis or Germany? Methinks this is probably disingenuous doo-doo to rally the right wing anti-GW crowd, and like always, it will work.

Edited by bushwacked

It'a pretty arrogant to believe that we're important enough to cause global warming...

Well, we created nuclear weapons and figured out a way to blow up the planet in about 3 seconds. It doesn't seem arrogant to think we could destroy it over a century or two without even trying.

Edited by Jackass

Nazis?

:wacko:

Didn't Krugman recently compare anti-AGWers to terrorists? You can always tell the level of desperation and the lack of a rational argument by the level of rhetoric. Same thing happens here...

In Al's defense, I honestly think he believes the #### he is shoveling.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Nazis?

Didn't Krugman recently compare anti-AGWers to terrorists? You can always tell the level of desperation and the lack of a rational argument by the level of rhetoric. Same thing happens here...

Go ahead and quote that part where he made the comparison.

Mr Gore said: "Winston Churchill aroused this nation in heroic fashion to save civilisation in World War II."

There's the crux - Al sees himself as a hero saving the world by saving mankind from itself.

Tilt on, Don Quixote. I hope he doesn't start wearing one of those X-men suits... :wacko:

Edited by Bronco Billy

Nazis?

The Nazi reference is a fabrication. Your statement is a bit ironic then, isn't it?

Go ahead and quote that part where he made the comparison.

The Nazi reference is a fabrication. Your statement is a bit ironic then, isn't it?

I'm sorry. I had no idea that you had zero capability of reading between the lines. So, what group of people was Churchill heroically saving civilsation (sic) from again?

It's okay, take your time and reference as many sources as you need...

Edited by Bronco Billy

I'm sorry. I had no idea that you had zero capability of reading between the lines. So, what group of people was Churchill heroically saving civilsation (sic) from again?

:wacko: That's gonna leave a mark... :D

He said future generations would put one of two questions to today’s adults. “It will either be ‘What were you thinking, didn’t you see the North Pole melting before your eyes, didn’t you hear what the scientists were saying?’. Or they will ask ‘How is it you were able to find the moral courage to solve the crisis which so many said couldn’t be solved?’”

:lmao:

Or the question could be, "How in the Seven Hells could so many of you have been so stupid to blindly follow Al Gore and his co-conspirators without even bothering to look at any facts?"

Edited by Bronco Billy

You clearly have no idea what rhetoric is. It's okay, take some time and learn the meaning of the words you use in making your points.

Pavlov's dogs. Or, more accurately, Pavlov's Bronco Billies.

Yep. Lead us to facts and we salivate in fights with feel-good knee jerk libs whose actions will cost millions of jobs and hundreds of billions at least and accomplish next to nothing...

Edited by Bronco Billy

Invent the internet? CHECK

Be as boring as watching grass grow? CHECK

Making a ridiculous comparison? CHECK

Go away Al Gore...just go away. No one cares about you any more...

He never claimed to. What he did do was lead in legislation to get it off the ground and of course he took credit for that as he should. Try a little FACTCHECK.