[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

State of Da Bears

DMD

Da Bears  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Matt Forte - what to expect?

• Same - 1715 total yards, 63 catches 12 TDs
    • More than last year
    • Less than last year
  2. 2. Jay Cutler - what to expect?

• Same - 4500 pass yards, 25 TDs
    • Close but not that good
    • Not nearly that good and not worth a fantasy start
    • More like a bust

State of the Bears

Big year for the Bears with the addition of Jay Cutler. Seems like he would completely change the dynamics of the offense that was predicated on rushing and short passing. Can he make that big of a difference or will the bad weather and bad wideouts leave Cutler as a bust for the year?

Can Matt Forte continue his heavy workload? Will Cutler even throw to him?

This should be a fascinating year for the Bears and it all depends on Cutler. First time in a loooong time that QB is the interesting position in Chicago.

After the Cutler trade the Chicago ESPN radio affiliate had on a guy from STATS, Inc. and pointed out that seven times last year Devin Hester outran the entire secondary but Orton couldn't get him the ball.

That should obviously change this year.

From a fantasy standpoint I think the guy to watch is Greg Olsen. He was already on the verge of becoming a top TE but with Cutler it is not implausible that he could be the #1 or #2 scoring TE.

Still trying to figure out why people think the addition of Cutler couldn't be anything but a benefit to Forte. Almost the same situation in ATL, with the arrival of Gonzo and the maturation of Ryan helping Turner. Both Forte and Turner will most probably get less work, but with the addition of legit big-league passing games their productivity ought to increase significantly. With both guys' proven talent, the less work/higher productivity ought to be making FF owners salivate in regard to the numbers both guys are capable of.

:wacko: Some people think that Chicago is called the Windy City because of the weather. I'm sure it is no worse than many other stadiums.

The origin of it being the "Windy City" is because of the politicans. A main factor of the weather is that the stadium is next to Lake Michigan which can sometimes have an effect.

Can you put up some numbers? Whatever factors that you think are relevant?

Cuz I've been to CHI several times in fall, winter and spring and don't think it's much worse than anywhere else I've been in the winter, so I'm unsure exactly what you think will affect Cutler so much. Can you elaborate?

Chicago by the lake in mid-winter is hellish compared to Denver at any time. You can say whatever you like but Green Bay and Chicago have a totally different level of freezing to anywhere else. Minnesota would be worse if it was outdoors.

Chicago by the lake in mid-winter is hellish compared to Denver at any time. You can say whatever you like but Green Bay and Chicago have a totally different level of freezing to anywhere else.

And no QB has ever been able to throw in the cold in GB... (I won't ask about CHI since they are getting their first legit QB in about half a century)

My concern with Forte's numbers have to do with a completely retooled line that may take time to gel. Pace (who isnt that good of a run blocker anymore) at LT, Chris "bad back" Williams given the job on the right side (and he only played LT in college) and Omilaye (sp?) will get a guard position.

How this group evolves and develoips togther will dictate Forte's success this year, IMO.

Chicago by the lake in mid-winter is hellish compared to Denver at any time. You can say whatever you like but Green Bay and Chicago have a totally different level of freezing to anywhere else. Minnesota would be worse if it was outdoors.

That might be true, but how is the wind in the new Soldier Field?

That guy Jim McMahon played in that weather, and I'll give Cutler a heady edge over the punky QB.

Past that, I'd expect Cutler be a little less than last year, along with Forte. Both of which will be good things.

Thanks for elaborating.

Well, besides the weather, lets just say I have no faith in the wide receivers, the offensive line, or a change in offensive scheme that enables Cutler to have QB1 numbers. Other than that, everything looks rosy.

I'll put it in terms you'll understand: the weather is as overrated as Tony Romo.

Better? :D

:wacko: I guess that was kind of my point. People talk about the Windy City and (outside of BJ) there are plenty of people that don't realize it has nothing to do with the weather. Yes, it does get windy and cold but so does Buffalo, Lambeau, Giants stadium, Philly, PIttsburgh, etc. I think Cutler will do far less than last year because they just don't need to throw the ball as often to be in the game. I actually think the Bears as a whole will do better if they play a similar game plan to previous years. They always called a handful of go routes every game, but now teams will have to respect the deep ball. If the defense stays healthy and the D-line can get a pass rush going, the Bears could be pretty good. That just doesn't mean the fantasy numbers will be better for Forte and Cutler.

I think Cutler will do far less than last year because they just don't need to throw the ball as often to be in the game. I actually think the Bears as a whole will do better if they play a similar game plan to previous years. They always called a handful of go routes every game, but now teams will have to respect the deep ball. If the defense stays healthy and the D-line can get a pass rush going, the Bears could be pretty good. That just doesn't mean the fantasy numbers will be better for Forte and Cutler.

Cutler almost has to do less than last year by definition. Last year he put up the 17th most prolific passing season by any QB in NFL history. He joined an elite club of 13 QBs who have thrown for more than 4500 yds in a season. If you're looking for similar production out of him this year, you need to check out some mental health clinics..

That said, if CHI only throws as much as last year - and that isn't any stretch given that they will be a better team but also that they will use a weapon like Cutler, given Cutler's ability over Grossman's, it is very reasonable to expect a 3600 yd/25 TD season out of him. He'll make the WRs better even though they are limited, and he'll find someone - probably two guys, one of them an unexpected source - on the WR corps who can hang onto the ball in all sorts of situations who he'll give a lot of love to.

Throw in his ability to credibly run and you're probably looking at a QB who would've finished right around QB6-QB8 in most leagues if he had played for CHI instead of DEN. That's a drop off for him, but certainly starting material and you can get him fairly cheaply (ADP = 66 right now) - and he'll have some room for a little upside.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Cutler almost has to do less than last year by definition. Last year he put up the 17th most prolific passing season by any QB in NFL history. He joined an elite club of 13 QBs who have thrown for more than 4500 yds in a season. If you're looking for similar production out of him this year, you need to check out some mental health clinics..

That said, if CHI only throws as much as last year - and that isn't any stretch given that they will be a better team but also that they will use a weapon like Cutler, given Cutler's ability over Grossman's, it is very reasonable to expect a 3600 yd/25 TD season out of him. He'll make the WRs better even though they are limited, and he'll find someone - probably two guys, one of them an unexpected source - on the WR corps who can hang onto the ball in all sorts of situations who he'll give a lot of love to.

Throw in his ability to credibly run and you're probably looking at a QB who would've finished right around QB6-QB8 in most leagues if he had played for CHI instead of DEN. That's a drop off for him, but certainly starting material and you can get him fairly cheaply (ADP = 66 right now) - and he'll have some room for a little upside.

One thing I am privately worried about, and would make for a very unique season is that the Bears get in...a number of shootouts. Reason? I think the D is off where it was 2 seasons ago and is now somewhat akin to swiss cheese. Bringing in a franchise QB that can run at this point frustrtes me on some level because if this had happened 4 years ago (as the D was moving into it's peak with the personnel) it would have been tough to stop.

But now, the D has more issues than the lame-o WR corps on the Bears. I wouldn't be surprised to see some VERY unusual game scores involving the Bears: 35-31 and the like. It will be fun to watch, but it won't be a season of "Bear Football"© I've been used to all my life - with the exception of the ill fated track meet Dave Wanstadt built with Erik Kramer that one year.

Well, I really like Kyle Orton, but you guys are FAR BETTER OFF with Cutler. Expect those 6-8 times when Hester broke free only to be underthrown in the past to now be 60 yard TDs.

"Fook it, I'm going deep... but I have laser targeting, so it's all good."

Cutler is like the very best of Orton and Grossman, plus more.

Well, Hester still has to catch the damn thing...