[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Healthcare 'Myths'

WaterMan

8 COMMON MYTHS ABOUT HEALTH INSURANCE REFORM

1. It's a myth that reform will mean a "government takeover" of health care or lead to "rationing." To the contrary, reform will forbid many forms of rationing that are currently being used by insurance companies.

2. It's a myth that reform will bust the budget. To the contrary, the President has identified ways to pay for the vast majority of the up-front costs by cutting waste, fraud, and abuse within existing government health programs; ending big subsidies to insurance companies; and increasing efficiency with such steps as coordinating care and streamlining paperwork. In the long term, reform can help bring down costs that will otherwise lead to a fiscal crisis.

3. It's a malicious myth that reform would encourage or even require euthanasia for seniors. For seniors who want to consult with their family and physicians about end-of life decisions, reform will help to cover these voluntary, private consultations for those who want help with these personal and difficult family decisions.

4. It's a myth that health insurance reform will affect veterans' access to the care they get now. To the contrary, the President's budget significantly expands coverage under the VA, extending care to 500,000 more veterans who were previously excluded. The VA Healthcare system will continue to be available for all eligible veterans.

5. It's a myth that health insurance reform will hurt small businesses. To the contrary, reform will ease the burdens on small businesses, provide tax credits to help them pay for employee coverage and help level the playing field with big firms who pay much less to cover their employees on average.

6. It's myth that Health Insurance Reform would be financed by cutting Medicare benefits. To the contrary, reform will improve the long-term financial health of Medicare, ensure better coordination, eliminate waste and unnecessary subsidies to insurance companies, and help to close the Medicare "doughnut" hole to make prescription drugs more affordable for seniors.

7. It's myth that reform will force you out of your current insurance plan or force you to change doctors. To the contrary, reform will expand your choices, not eliminate them.

8. It is an absurd myth that government will be in charge of your bank accounts. Health insurance reform will simplify administration, making it easier and more convenient for you to pay bills in a method that you choose. Just like paying a phone bill or a utility bill, you can pay by traditional check, or by a direct electronic payment. And forms will be standardized so they will be easier to understand. The choice is up to you - and the same rules of privacy will apply as they do for all other electronic payments that people make.

FACT

Every Taxpayer supported Welfare mom and her eight kids will be in every emergence room and

Doctors waiting room sucking down their McD burgers and fries while the working force that pays for

it will wait three weeks to a couple months just to see a Doctor.

FACT

Myth # 9. It's a myth the government can't do a better job than the private sector and other ideas not including government interference is absurd.

Because Gov't always runs things better than the private sector... for instance, the TSA.... What's the saying? "To professionalize, we must federalize"... I don't know about you, but I feel much safer now that the government took basically the same exact workforce federalized them, and placed them in the same exact job as screeners in our airports.

And the government programs run so smoothly too... just like they plan them. Never running short on money, never having unforeseen issues that cause them to come back to the taxpayers in a panic asking for more. But that's because they take their time and think through these things, vetting all the issues ... instead of not reading the 1000 plus page bills potentially filled with pork or things their constituents don't want and blindly voting for their partisan hearts.

I tell you, these people who think its the people who make this country great and not the government that does... are straight up psycho! :wacko:

Edited by millerx

Myth # 9. It's a myth the government can't do a better job than the private sector and other ideas not including government interference is absurd.

Because Gov't always runs things better than the private sector... for instance, the TSA.... What's the saying? "To professionalize, we must federalize"... I don't know about you, but I feel much safer now that the government took basically the same exact workforce federalized them, and placed them in the same exact job as screeners in our airports.

And the government programs run so smoothly too... just like they plan them. Never running short on money, never having unforeseen issues that cause them to come back to the taxpayers in a panic asking for more. But that's because they take their time and think through these things, vetting all the issues ... instead of not reading the 1000 plus page bills potentially filled with pork or things their constituents don't want and blindly voting for their partisan hearts.

I tell you, these people who think its the people who make this country great and not the government that does... are straight up psycho! :wacko:

As we recover from a major recession caused by the private sector over-extending them selves right into that sh:tter... it seems like an unusual time to praise the efficiency and reliability of business. Especially when it comes to something as important as healthcare.

Ask anyone who's had a medical issue recently if they think the healthcare/insurance industry can't do with a little reform.

As we recover from a major recession caused by the private sector over-extending them selves right into that sh:tter... it seems like an unusual time to praise the efficiency and reliability of business. Especially when it comes to something as important as healthcare.

Ask anyone who's had a medical issue recently if they think the healthcare/insurance industry can't do with a little reform.

Thanks goodness my husband and I haven't had any major medical issue but we are forced to have $5,000 deductibles to afford health insurance, and our health insurance has gone up 40% in five years and benefits have been cut and our co-pay has gone up as well.

People who have their plans covered by their employer just don't realize the crisis we are under.

Look... if you're wanting to argue track records whether long-term or short-term , recent or not... our government has the same image problem the American auto industry has had... decades of promising "it's different this time around" or "change" or "hope" or whatever... only to wind up with the same old clunker. I just think some vetting of the concerns from the lawmakers' constituents makes common sense... where as, I have the opposite opinion of those rushing to please the messiah. Compromise can, and usually does, create the best result. This is true in all aspects of life.

The Post Office seems to work fine.

I watched those TSA people on the Homeland Security show that I'm guessing was on ABC. I don't see where else the people would get that kind of training except from people currently in or retired from the CIA/FBI.

as the sheep gathered around to discuss.

They realized they had been had when they saw the wolf in the farmers house sharpening the knifes.

In 2006, the Chicago Tribune reported that Mrs. Obama’s compensation at the University of Chicago Hospital, where she is a vice president for community affairs, jumped from $121,910 in 2004, just before her husband was elected to the Senate, to $316,962 in 2005, just after he took office."

Healthcare reform at its finest

I watched those TSA people on the Homeland Security show that I'm guessing was on ABC. I don't see where else the people would get that kind of training except from people currently in or retired from the CIA/FBI.

Thats funny, last I heard they were hurting so bad that they are offering early retirement, and possibly cutting

service to five days a week because of lack of funds.

I constantly get other peoples mail, dont' ever recall having UPS or FED X bring me someone else package.

Actually the Post Office is poorly run and if it was a private industry it would have gone out of business years ago.

Edited by The Mucca

dont' ever recall having UPS or FED X bring me someone else package.

Are you serious?

I constantly have problems with FedEx mis-delivering packages in my business. And the only reason I haven't switched to UPS is because I've heard they're worse.

I hear where you are coming from, but you need to stop pretending business is so awesome compared to government.

Edited by AtomicCEO

seriously??? so you feel safer because the screeners collect their paycheck from the government vs. a private employer? You believe retired CIA/FBI would only work with or train government employee security screeners? And you haven't seen any investigative shows (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.) showing the HUGE gaps in security that would be there regardless of who was running the screening? :wacko:

Now, will it ever go back to the way it was, with private companies competing for these jobs? And all because of a panicked decision based on insecurities pushed on us by our government? Was a larger bureaucracy truly the best answer, or the one they knew we would allow because of scare tactics? It's so much harder to go back once you let the government in, why not take your time and figure what would work the best? WHY THE F'N RUSH? Most people believe reform is needed in some form or fashion, same as SS, but think outside the box, rather than following the sheep.

Thanks goodness my husband and I haven't had any major medical issue but we are forced to have $5,000 deductibles to afford health insurance, and our health insurance has gone up 40% in five years and benefits have been cut and our co-pay has gone up as well.

People who have their plans covered by their employer just don't realize the crisis we are under.

Sure we do - our real, inflation-adjusted wages are dropping like rocks to make up for the extra HC cost.

So under the new bill if you are worried about the public health care plan, just keep your private carrier.

If thats the case, still not sure, that means keep yours and pay for it, and then you also get to pay

for everyone else that takes the public insurance. your tax bill will be so high you will be forced to

take the public insurance.

It's their way of forcing it on you without actually forcing it on you.

So under the new bill if you are worried about the public health care plan, just keep your private carrier.
Yes.

However, the "big boy/girl" question is how the public option will impact: (1) the cost and/or quality of private care; and (2) the federal deficit.

Reasonable minds may disagree on these two points, but too few discuss them reasonably.

Edited by yo mama

Yes.

However, the "big boy/girl" question is how the public option will impact: (1) the cost and/or quality of private care; and (2) the federal deficit.

Reasonable minds may disagree on these two points, but too few discuss them reasonably.

Well put, and I believe that the way it was trying to be pushed through at first, was just not the right approach.

Thats funny, last I heard they were hurting so bad that they are offering early retirement, and possibly cutting

service to five days a week because of lack of funds.

I constantly get other peoples mail, dont' ever recall having UPS or FED X bring me someone else package.

Actually the Post Office is poorly run and if it was a private industry it would have gone out of business years ago.

Welcome to the current economy.

The interwebz is wrecking havoc on printed materials.

Edited by WaterMan

If thats the case, still not sure, that means keep yours and pay for it, and then you also get to pay

for everyone else that takes the public insurance. your tax bill will be so high you will be forced to

take the public insurance.

It's their way of forcing it on you without actually forcing it on you.

How high exactly? Higher than Canada or Germany? These numbers without numbers are scary.

If the Post Office were a private business, people in rural areas would have to pay about $5 per letter if they wanted to get anything mailed.

(How come nobody in urban areas protests about how they are subsidizing mail delivery service for people in rural areas?)