[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dog Boarding

whomper

Am I the only one seriously offended by the way Whomper spelled douchebags?

Let me try it a different way

hughone

That was weak

Last week we had our family vacation. I live 10 minutes from my in laws. My Sister in law and brother in law wouldnt stay at our house to watch the dogs because they are douschbags eventhough my wife does them countless favors, But I digress.

We boarded the dogs at the local animal hospital. They did a check up on both dogs before we brought them in. We picked them up yesterday and when my wife got home we noticed my one dog wasnt right. She kept peeing and going to the backdoor. We would let her out and sometimes she peed and other times she didnt and she was acting very eratic. We called the place and they said it isnt uncommon for dogs to act a little funny when they first get home. My wife disgareed but she said keep an eye on her and the dog should be ok.

A few hours later the dog had a discharge . We called back and left a message. So we watch her all night and today she wakes up and is puking and has diarhea. We get a 2 oclock appointment at the place. My wife goes and the dog has a urinary tract infection and some kind of stomach bug. They give her a shot and send my wife home with meds. They also did X rays. The dog seems a little better and should be fine but I called the place today and told them i felt I shouldnt be charged. They said they wouldnt charge for the visit but would have to charge for meds and if I wanted to fight that I have to wait until the office manager comes back on the 25th.

Todays visit cost 500 bucks.(xrays were 250) Dont get me wrong . I love the dog and her well being is number 1 priority. i told my wife to get whatever we need for the dog and thankfully the shot helped and she seems like she is doing better but am I wrong ? The Vet said she could have gotten the infection when we took her home or she may have eaten something at our house. That dog has never been sick in her life and my wife called 30 minutes after getting her home. That would be some friggin coincedence that she got sick because of our house 3 minutes after getting home. I'll speak to this person on the 25th . Sorry for the vent but it sucks. It cost 550 to board them now almost the same amount to fix her up. There goes all the money I saved at Knoebels :wacko:

What a total waste of time and money! They're just dogs, should have let it die or just ran it over or something

[/vickheads]

My first thooughts too. When my daughter was in daycare and got sick we paid the doctor visit and the antibiotics...

There has to be some type of balance though. You're not sweating it if your girl comes home from day care with a cold, right? What if she contacted solmanella from their food? Is that the 'risk?'

I haven't owned a dog in some time, but a urinary tract infection usually gets caught how? Unsanitary conditions? bad food? Somewhere along the line the kennel is liable for negligence if the dog has caught something past the 'garden variety illness.'

I know you are in the NYC area but the fees seem excessive to me as well. I have received x-rays for $125 in the SF Bay Area. I have had a complete blood panel done for around $80-100, I think. Urinalysis maye $40? Office visits are $38. So that would make the bill $300. Plus my vet would have never done the x-rays, and maybe not the blood panel unless the dog was really sick, like not eating and showed signs of real distress, at least not right away. Just something to think about. It is worth it if you really trust this vet,and feel he/she gives the best care in your area.

I know you are in the NYC area but the fees seem excessive to me as well. I have received x-rays for $125 in the SF Bay Area. I have had a complete blood panel done for around $80-100, I think. Urinalysis maye $40? Office visits are $38. So that would make the bill $300. Plus my vet would have never done the x-rays, and maybe not the blood panel unless the dog was really sick, like not eating and showed signs of real distress, at least not right away. Just something to think about. It is worth it if you really trust this vet,and feel he/she gives the best care in your area.

They did 2 Xrays. The bill also included the medicine we took home and the shot. This isnt our normal vet. Our usual vet doesnt board. This is actually the vet we first used when we first got them.

I spoke with the office manager today. She said she would review with the owner. The owner himself called me back within an hour. After much medical jibber jabber he agreed to split it with me. He said portions of his bill to me are to cover the lab fees that are done by independant labs. He threw medical stuff at me which was difficult to counter. I threw common sense at him. He saw my point and why I would come to certain conclusions. He wasnt budging on a full refund so we made an agreement and I recovered 250. Dog is doing fine which is the main thing. Thanks for the opinions.