[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question about Rabbits

whomper

A few weeks ago I was looking out my window and my dog was digging and pawing at a spot in my yard. This isnt uncommon but my wife noticed something moving around. When I went out to look the dog had uncovered a nest of just born baby rabbits (6 of them). My yard is split in 2 seperated by a chain link fence. The Dogs have a run and we have our good side. The dog happened to be on the good side when she found them. I put her back on her side and went to check on the rabbits. The mother has been hanging around my yard for the past 5-6 weeks.

The Mom wasnt there when I found the rabbits but she left them in a hole in my yard and covered them with fur and grass clippings. My Dog had moved one of the babies away from the nest. She didnt chew on the bunny but when she picked it up in her mouth I noticed she injured its foot. I picked the bunny up with a shovel so my scent didnt get on her and looked her over and noticed the injury. I put her back in the nest with the other babies. In the past few weeks my wife and I have been feeding the mother (carrots and rabbit food) and keeping an eye on the babies. We dont disturb their environment and let the mom do her thing. Only once we put a beach umbrellas over the nest when we had a hugh downpour.

In the past 3-4 days the bunnies have started leaving the nest. They go on their own and explore the yard and usually come back to the nest to sleep. When I check at night there are 1 maybe 2 of them in the nest and when I check in the AM all 6 are usually there. In the past few days there is only 1 that has been in the nest and hanging around the yard. When we went to check it looks like the one that hasnt branched out is the one with the injured foot. He can move and he can hop but he doesnt have great balance and stumbles a lot like he is drunk. I named him Twiley. The mom still shows up on occassion but it seems most of the rabbits have moved on. If this rabbit is in fact lame we want to help it. I would eventually cage it and take care of it but it would be an outside pet. My questions are

1. Is this rabbit still somewhat relying on its Mom at all ? He is about 20 days old

2. I know this rabbit is too young to cage now and take out of its natural habitat but at what point would it be old enough if it cant survive on its own ?

3. If we do end up taking this rabbit as a pet do rabbits get shots ? Do I have to worry about disease or rabies ?

For now we are just keeping an eye on him and letting nature take its course. Like I said he gets around in his own way and we see him eating grass so he isnt totally helpless but he is definetly not as self sufficient as the others and we are assuming it is because of the foot. If we see him flopping around the yard and struggling to survive after whatever time frame I am told he can be taken in we are going to hook him up. Obviously it would be ideal if he could make it on his own though.

Edited by whomper

I believe the penguins rescued Twiley from the wolves and taught him everything they knew about sex.

But I've been wrong before.

Hey, I may never have had intercourse with a penguin but I can hold my own on the topic...!

DMD, can we add a Penguin graemlin? It's just so damn appropriate...