[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What city & state to live in?

Broken

I can . .

1.) Feral hogs roaming around

2.) Water Moccasins slithering around .

. . .thats all I got. But i have only been there on a plane layover . . .

You sure dont want to move to chicago (and I live in the Chicago burbs). . . you might get near to your NYC salary, but you get the most politically corrupt gubment since Boss Tweed in the city . . . .

1.) Good eats

2.) Our neighbors to the East say they taste pretty good, of course enough cayenne will mask the taste of just about anything.

I have been to several conferences in Atlanta and I have always been underwhelmed . . . but that is just me. is that main nightlife area called Buckhead? Bucktown? Either way that area is fun if you are young and single . . .

Buckhead.

1.) Good eats

2.) Our neighbors to the East say they taste pretty good, of course enough cayenne will mask the taste of just about anything.

really? I have had rattlesnake before, but not water moccasin . . . i also have never butchered a hog before. Deer, yes . . . hogs, no.

Dont you guys have some great whitetail hunting down there too?

I suppose if you like cities but aren't too effete and urbane, Atlanta would be great. I don't like cities, but that's just me. Take ATL out of GA and this state is twice as redneck as WV ever thought about being. But I like N GA where I live... :wacko:

Everytime I drove through Georgia it seemed like Deliverance with dueling banjos in the background until Atlanta. Then it seems like Compton in some areas.

really? I have had rattlesnake before, but not water moccasin . . . i also have never butchered a hog before. Deer, yes . . . hogs, no.

Dont you guys have some great whitetail hunting down there too?

I've never eaten moccasin, nor would I they just stink to much to ever think about putting in my mouth. Wild Hog is as good as any ham or bacon you eat.

As far as deer are concerned it just depends on where in the state you are. In my neck of the woods (East Texas) we don't have all that many but those we have tend to be pretty good sized. You can go to Central Texas and there are deer all over the place, but they tend to be much smaller. We call them doggie deer. South and West Texas is the best hunting, as they have good numbers and good size.

ETA: Hogs are a PIA to skin. Gutting them, and boning them isn't a problem, but skinning them is just a PIA. I've heard of some outfits that tumble them to take the hide off, but have never done that or witnessed it.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I have been to several conferences in Atlanta and I have always been underwhelmed . . . but that is just me. is that main nightlife area called Buckhead? Bucktown? Either way that area is fun if you are young and single . . .

Buckhead started changing around the time of the Ray Lewis incident, not sure if that was the reason or just coincidental, but now that area has more of a reputation for gangsta types. When I left in '05, the hip spots were VA highlands, 5 points and midtown. There are great places to hang out all over the city and surrounding towns if you know where to look, for all ages and interests.

Buckhead started changing around the time of the Ray Lewis incident, not sure if that was the reason or just coincidental, but now that area has more of a reputation for gangsta types. When I left in '05, the hip spots were VA highlands, 5 points and midtown. There are great places to hang out all over the city and surrounding towns if you know where to look, for all ages and interests.

Yeah . . . i was last in Bucktown in 1998 . . . Otherwise I stayed downtown right by the Olympic park.

Well, for starters, he listed it. Secondly, Durham is one of the 100 largest cities in the US, and like basically every other city on that list, it has rough sections.

A LOT of "rough sections." And areas/places which should be nicer than they are.

Your opinion of Durham, of course, is not unique. However it is pretty much only shared by those who haven't been here in a number of years.

That's pretty much BS. I know people who do and have lived there who would agree with me 100%. Course one man's ghetto is another man's castle, to each their own, etc but this "only people who don't know it think it's ghetto" simply doesn't hold water. That opinion of Durham isn't common for no reason.

I lived in Atlanta for 12 years and would highly recommend checking it out.

Again, note the non-ghetto requirement...

A LOT of "rough sections." And areas/places which should be nicer than they are.

That's pretty much BS. I know people who do and have lived there who would agree with me 100%. Course one man's ghetto is another man's castle, to each their own, etc but this "only people who don't know it think it's ghetto" simply doesn't hold water. That opinion of Durham isn't common for no reason.

Again, note the non-ghetto requirement...

:wacko: Whatever you say dude. Having apparently been here a few times and knowing a few people who have lived here (but likely not since the downtown has made a massive resurgence), is there anything else you'd like to tell me about the city I've lived in for the past 7 years?

No one who has spent any time around Atlanta would call it ghetto.

Parts of it definitely are, though I'll admit I'm not familiar with Atlanta at all, the last time I was there I drove through some serious ghetto. Still I think that is typical of most any city of any size.

Parts of it definitely are, though I'll admit I'm not familiar with Atlanta at all, the last time I was there I drove through some serious ghetto. Still I think that is typical of most any city of any size.

It's the 8th largest metro area in the country. There are gated country-club communities with multimillion dollar homes and crack-infested slums, and everything in between, as one would expect of a city of similar size. When I first moved there I liked to drive through the upscale neighborhoods just to gawk at the hundreds and hundreds of huge houses and their manicured grounds. That's another thing, landscaping has become a big hobby and second income for me and Atlanta was an inspiration for that. They take it to another level.

The bar area of Buckhead no longer exists as it did in '05... It has been basically converted to a retail district, 90% of the bars in that section have been closed. The Gangsta types are beginning to transition to midtown and the I-285/85 Corridor. Most of the good night life is now centered around Highlands, little 5 points, etc... Some nightlife is in Decatur/Inman Park. Atlantic Station is another option. But, there really is no Buckhead like place any longer (I could be wrong though, haven't really gone bar hopping in about 5 years...) If you are basing your impression of Atlatna off of Centennial Olympic Park/Downtown, yes, Atlanta is extremely underwhleming, with the exception of the Cheetah, which in my estimation is the finest adult entertainment venue to be found anywhere, blowing the spearmint rhino in vegas out of the freaking water....

Atalanta is more of a place where you find the suburb you like with the local amenities you like and you pretty much stay there. I would recommend, depending on where you office, Alpharetta, Roswell, Dunwoody, Marietta, Town Lake, or, yes Kennesaw/Barrett Parkway area. Lot of good local bars, restaurants and retail.

Sioux Falls, SD

Pros: Low cost of living, low taxes, job opportunities, access to the best fireworks in the nation, and I'm guessing not a lot of gang activity.

Cons: No professional sports, not a lot of nightlife (or daylife for that matter).

Another vote for Kansas City.

Great place to raise a family, pretty decent economy, great weather, the BEST airport in the country. Pro sports, the arts, concerts, and a lot of culture for a town of it's size.

And the people are very friendly here. I've lived in several other places, and KC has it all.

Sioux Falls, SD

Pros: Low cost of living, low taxes, job opportunities, access to the best fireworks in the nation, and I'm guessing not a lot of gang activity.

Cons: No professional sports, not a lot of nightlife (or daylife for that matter).

they do have some of the best bird hunting in the country.

charlotte

There's an element of sprawl in Charlotte that I just can't get with. Contrasting that to the triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) where there's so much more open space sprinkled in among the cities. If you're into hiking or cycling or even fishing, it's really nice to be literally minutes from this stuff all the time.

For instance, from my house I can hop on the freeway, drive 2-3 exits and I'm right in the middle of downtown Durham. However, I'm also 1-3 miles (depending on what trail head I park at) from Eno River State Park. As a cyclist, I can either leave from my driveway and be on quiet country roads within 2 miles and go on a ride from 20-100 miles (more I guess).

It's the same story with other parts of the area. Hell, you notice as you're flying into RDU. In every direction it's trees and more trees.

Every time I've gone to Charlotte, I've noticed that, once you get anywhere near the city, you're in the thick of sprawl. Maybe I've just hit the wrong parts, I dunno.

Of course, one thing that both metro areas have in common is that you're a very manageable drive to some great mountains and nice beaches.

Edited by detlef

Another vote for Kansas City.

Great place to raise a family, pretty decent economy, great weather, the BEST airport in the country. Pro sports, the arts, concerts, and a lot of culture for a town of it's size.

And the people are very friendly here. I've lived in several other places, and KC has it all.

uh, no KC does not have great weather partner. The best airport :wacko: solid

my short list:

Phoenix/Scottsdale

San Francisco Bay

San Diego

Seattle

Austin - only city in Texazz worth living in

North Carolina - only place on the least coast

so, for the original posters choices listed??? - Austin easy call

Edited by wildcat2334