[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favre!

CaptainHook

I'm not so sure about that. I don't see the zip on some of his passes. Still pretty damn good though.

So how long before Ed Hoyle posts here?

You don't think that last pass had zip on it? Really? Really really?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't they have 20 yards rushing and 60 yards passing at halftime?

And they were still winning at that point. Yes, the 49ers outplayed the Vikes most of the day, but the Vikes produced when it counted and won the game. The Vikes escaped with a win that easily could have gone the other way, and the 49ers did not have their best offensive player.

Not really sure how you can argue otherwise . . . .but hey! have fun!

And they were still winning at that point. Yes, the 49ers outplayed the Vikes most of the day, but the Vikes produced when it counted and won the game. The Vikes escaped with a win that easily could have gone the other way, and the 49ers did not have their best offensive player.

Uh, the stats show otherwise. Vernon Davis was all SF had today. That and a lucky blocked XP.

:wacko: Even the biggest Favre nuthuggers know how asinine sounds.

Great play though. I cringed.

Jordan only won one title?
Jordan holds the record for the most turnovers?

One of the best all time at his sport?

Unable to let go of the game and walk away?

Brings some kind of intangible magic to the game?

Love him or hate him, Brett Favre arguably does for football what Michael Jordan did for basketball.

Do I agree with what he's done over the past few years? No.

Does he owe a lot to Lewis for that catch? Absolutely.

Very few NFL quarterbacks could make that throw in that situation however, let alone at the age of 39.

Edited by kpholmes

Uh, the stats show otherwise. Vernon Davis was all SF had today. That and a lucky blocked XP.

Really? The stats show the best RB in football being kept in check with only 85 yards and no TDs. The San Fran offense STILL produced through the air even after their best RB (Gore) got hurt early, and kept a game close all day when they easily could have been blown out after losing Gore and having no running game at all.

Wasnt it a blocked field goal returned for a TD?

This really isnt much different than the Colts beating Miami. Miami had a perfect gameplan, but just couldnt hold on at the end. Miami had a ridiculous time of possession advantage and did everything they could to try and beat a more talented team and came seconds of being able to do so.

San Fran played a team with a TON more offensive talent, had a great gameplan, lost a star player and STILL almost won. I would say that is outplaying the other team for most of the day . . .

Congrats to the Vikes for squeaking out a win that could have very easily been a loss . . .

Really? The stats show the best RB in football being kept in check with only 85 yards and no TDs. The San Fran offense STILL produced through the air even after their best RB (Gore) got hurt early, and kept a game close all day when they easily could have been blown out after losing Gore and having no running game at all.

Wasnt it a blocked field goal returned for a TD?

This really isnt much different than the Colts beating Miami. Miami had a perfect gameplan, but just couldnt hold on at the end. Miami had a ridiculous time of possession advantage and did everything they could to try and beat a more talented team and came seconds of being able to do so.

San Fran played a team with a TON more offensive talent, had a great gameplan, lost a star player and STILL almost won. I would say that is outplaying the other team for most of the day . . .

Congrats to the Vikes for squeaking out a win that could have very easily been a loss . . .

No, you're right, missed FG. That's what I meant. And you are right, the Vikes could have easily lost. My point was the Vikes dominated the game but the Niners played tough and did what they had to do to keep it close. I thought for sure it was over at the end for the Vikes. If the Minnesota WRs would have held onto the ball, it might not have been the same story. That and I am tired of the 0-5 yard pass calls constantly. They still need to open up the intermediate pass game.

No, you're right, missed FG. That's what I meant. And you are right, the Vikes could have easily lost. My point was the Vikes dominated the game but the Niners played tough and did what they had to do to keep it close. I thought for sure it was over at the end for the Vikes. If the Minnesota WRs would have held onto the ball, it might not have been the same story. That and I am tired of the 0-5 yard pass calls constantly. They still need to open up the intermediate pass game.

No way did the Vikes dominate. I would not say that either team dominated but the 49ers should have won that game.

I guess I just have a different definition of "dominated the game". I think the Vikes played poorly, especially in the run game, and could have done more on defense once Gore was out and the 49ers had zero ground game.

I dont get why the Vikes dont use that run game to set up play-action deep passes. When the leading receiver is a backup RB, ya need to go downfield more. Hell, isnt that why they got Favre? Why buy a new toy and then dont take it out of the package?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gamecenter/dr...20090927_SF@MIN

They had lots of 3 and outs. 49ers have a good defense and probably better than what people give them credit for. The Vikings offense line is not playing good and one reason why Favre did not play a good game. I disagree that they outplayed the Vikings the whole game.

I agree they got lucky with that win.

I guess I just have a different definition of "dominated the game". I think the Vikes played poorly, especially in the run game, and could have done more on defense once Gore was out and the 49ers had zero ground game.

I dont get why the Vikes dont use that run game to set up play-action deep passes. When the leading receiver is a backup RB, ya need to go downfield more. Hell, isnt that why they got Favre? Why buy a new toy and then dont take it out of the package?

He doesn't have time. If they don't fix the o=line problems, he is going to be dead by week 8.

:wacko: one word "CHILLY"

Love him or hate him, Brett Favre arguably does for football what Michael Jordan did for basketball.

Do I agree with what he's done over the past few years? No.

Does he owe a lot to Jennings for that catch? Absolutely.

Very few NFL quarterbacks could make that throw in that situation however, let alone at the age of 39.

The catch was made by Greg Lewis. Greg Jennings is who Favre used to throw to 2 years ago in GreenBay.

I agree with your point. Like Michael Jordan used to hit the game-winning shot, Favre has comeback to win 42 4th quarter deficits or ties in his career.

The catch was made by Greg Lewis. Greg Jennings is who Favre used to throw to 2 years ago in GreenBay.

I agree with your point. Like Michael Jordan used to hit the game-winning shot, Favre has comeback to win 42 4th quarter deficits or ties in his career.

Yes the only difference this one was a little lucky others were a little more deserving not a desperation pass that landed in ur 6th receivers hands(which by the way was an astonishing catch by an ex beer truck driver) :wacko:

That play is why Farve is so wanted by teams that need QB help. He gives you that 1 to 3 extra wins a year because of the Farve factor. Every year it's those 1 or 2 wins is all it takes to make it to the dance. Vikings fans just felt Farve Magic.

I respect the guy, for that but did anyone see that play he ran down 40 yards to lay the wood to Willis? Like they said on ESPN today, that play shows how much this guy loves the game and fires up every person on that team to give it his all for a win.

I love the guy and hope he plays till his arm falls off, right on the field and he goes to the sideline and tries to learn how to throw with his left to finish the game.

Did you watch any of the game? I like how people look at a few stats and make a ton of assumptions. The entire flow of the game belonged to the Vikes. Without the blocked FG return for a TD at the half the game was on it's way to looking like a blowout.

SF did manage to string together a few plays and for a little bit they even looked like the flow was ebbing towards them in the third quarter... the Vikes were stalling out on dropped passes on every drive and AD never got a chance to get going because of that, but the Vikes were still playing better D and STs. The 49ers other then the few plays late just never had a good rhthym on offense, I'd say the 0/10 on third downs reflects that. Still they played a great game but in the end the struggling offense lost it for them. I felt all game that the Vikes were just handing the game to the Niners but really the fact is the Niners handed it to the Vikes in the end. They had two chances to put the game away for good and went three and out.

This is a Favre thread, but to me, the high light of the play was the catch by Greg Lewis.

+1

It's been a long time since MN has had a QB that's been able to manage the clock and make enough throws to be in a position to get the ball to a guy like Greg for that amazing catch.

I still think they did Bobby Wade dirty, but it's also looking like he found himself a good home where he can get a few more plays on offense and we got a guy that can do that :wacko:

That and I am tired of the 0-5 yard pass calls constantly. They still need to open up the intermediate pass game.

This is why the Vikes will go nowhere in the playoffs, if they happen to make it that far. They are one of the worst coached teams in football. My ass, on a bad day, could out-coach Childress. Tons of talent, a team that could make a deep playoff run, unfortunately with Childress steering the ship the Vikes are the Edmund Fitzgerald. © wiegie