[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most expensive colleges

Randall

Here's some real numbers to support that statement. Yearly cost for Penn State at University Park, $43,162. Amount spent per student by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, $3,688.

:confused:

In state = $3,688

Out of state = $43,162

???

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those prices are nuts.

Simple as that ...

I'd rather cough up $250,000 and set them up in business for themselves than pay full fare for (say) George Washington University for five years ... heck, an SBA loan could help finance part of that $250,000 easier than getting a cheap college loan ...

:puke:

i had posted that question a few months ago. say you had 100k to give your kid. would you spend it on his education or give it to him when he hits adulthood to have and use?

My son just turned 19 and doesn't have the least amount of an inkling to go to college, he has been working fulltime at Bestbuy for a little over a year now. I told him if he went to college it would be paid for and he would be given some spending money as well. He said he preferred to just work for now and pay for his car insurance, he lives with us and we don't charge him anything other then his car insurance. He acutally could get a decent amount of his school paid for by Bestbuy.

I went to Univ. of MD for all of 1 semester and had the best party time I could of ever had. I got very lucky and found a job with Dept of Treasury and will be 20 years this Jan. My ex wife has a masters degree and my current wife has her masters and working on her Doctorate as well. We have all tried talking to him and he keeps falling back on how I didn't go to college and I make great money. I keep trying to tell him times have changed but he isn't listening to it :wacko:

I honestly wish he would go to school, but I know the more I force the issue the futher away it will push him.

Edited by T_bone65

:confused:

In state = $3,688

Out of state = $43,162

???

No, that's the state subsidy for each student period. the 43K is out of state. In state is slightly less (about 36K).

The bottom line is that it's not really a State University anymore. It is barley sate supported. Most comes from teh students/families.

My wife and I are currently of a mind that we will (try) to give each of our kids the same amount of money (inflation adjusted) that they can use (with our guidance) on college (including grad school), wedding, first house and/or starting a business. If they choose to use it all on getting an expensive undergraduate degree, then there is no help for wedding or house. If they chose to go to junior college and keep a wedding small, then there will be some $$ for house and/or business lauching...

Our thinking is that each of our kids are different ... why try to force them to be the same?

This is not to diminish the importance of academic education in the least, but to realize that we're all wired differently. Plus, as Mark Twain said (with apologies), "Don't let your school books get in the way of you getting a good education."

My son just turned 19 and doesn't have the least amount of an inkling to go to college, he has been working fulltime at Bestbuy for a little over a year now. I told him if he went to college it would be paid for and he would be given some spending money as well. He said he preferred to just work for now and pay for his car insurance, he lives with us and we don't charge him anything other then his car insurance. He acutally could get a decent amount of his school paid for by Bestbuy.

I went to Univ. of MD for all of 1 semester and had the best party time I could of ever had. I got very lucky and found a job with Dept of Treasury and will be 20 years this Jan. My ex wife has a masters degree and my current wife has her masters and working on her Doctorate as well. We have all tried talking to him and he keeps falling back on how I didn't go to college and I make great money. I keep trying to tell him times have changed but he isn't listening to it :D

I honestly wish he would go to school, but I know the more I force the issue the futher away it will push him.

My kid hated high school though he always turned his homework in, he was never a problem in class and showed up each day. He just hated school and the thought of four / five more years of it made his blood run cold. He joined the Marines and is far more of a man than some limp wristed namby pamby college kid. :wacko:

College isn't for everyone. If it was, our society would look even more like Metropolis than it already does. K-12, college, corporate drone, retire, die. Left, right, left, right......

Not sure if its still the case but my school is on the list at double what it was when I was there ~18 years ago. Close to 80% of the kids were on some degree of financial aid. A lot of schools were like this where only the Super rich payed fulled price.

At one time college was for the "top students" and wealthy, more recently it has been available to everyone. Looks like its going back to the old way unless its still the case with heavy financial aid for the majority of students.

At this very moment I am at the #14 rated college visiting my daughter. If it wasn't for the HUGH scholarship she received I would be visiting her somewhere else. For sure. I knew it was expensive but did not know it was rated that high.

Is Vicster in admissions :wacko:

colleges are in trouble. the easy money from school loans is gone. these kids and families wont be able to sustain those prices. imo.

Agreed - although, they're not really in trouble. They just won't bring in so much revenue. The prices are on a ridiculous pace anyways, something needs to be done.

My wife and I are currently of a mind that we will (try) to give each of our kids the same amount of money (inflation adjusted) that they can use (with our guidance) on college (including grad school), wedding, first house and/or starting a business. If they choose to use it all on getting an expensive undergraduate degree, then there is no help for wedding or house. If they chose to go to junior college and keep a wedding small, then there will be some $$ for house and/or business lauching...

Our thinking is that each of our kids are different ... why try to force them to be the same?

This is not to diminish the importance of academic education in the least, but to realize that we're all wired differently. Plus, as Mark Twain said (with apologies), "Don't let your school books get in the way of you getting a good education."

That is pretty much what we are doing with our two girls as well. Our oldest (who is 11) has about $5,000 set aside specifically for education before I realized I wanted to do what you outlined above. Even that could be used for something else there would just be some tax consequences.

That is pretty much what we are doing with our two girls as well. Our oldest (who is 11) has about $5,000 set aside specifically for education before I realized I wanted to do what you outlined above. Even that could be used for something else there would just be some tax consequences.

I'm just hoping it's more than $10 and a pat on the back...

:wacko:

Not sure if its still the case but my school is on the list at double what it was when I was there ~18 years ago. Close to 80% of the kids were on some degree of financial aid. A lot of schools were like this where only the Super rich payed fulled price.

At one time college was for the "top students" and wealthy, more recently it has been available to everyone. Looks like its going back to the old way unless its still the case with heavy financial aid for the majority of students.

That would actually put more weight behind a college degree. Right now, it seems like if you have a check, you are in.

That would actually put more weight behind a college degree. Right now, it seems like if you have a check, you are in.

That might not be a bad thing. Judging by some of the people I work with any idiot can buy a college diploma :wacko: