[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ford Expedition EL vs. Chevy Suburban

muck

I'm considering two used vehicle for Muckette.

Exhibit A: 2007 Ford Expidition EL with 70,000-ish miles

Exhibit B: 2006 Chevy Suburban with 40,000-ish miles

A friend told me that the Ford would be worthless in about 20,000 miles. I think he's overstating it, but he is strongly encouraging me to go with the Chevy (he does have a vested interest; it's complicated so I won't bother explaining it). I think he's primarily thinking about resale value. I'm less concerned with resale and more concerned with durability, reliability, cost to repair, etc. if I keep it for the forseeable future (Muckette and I are thinking that it may become my 10yr old daughters' first vehicle when she's older).

Any gear-heads care to edumacate me on whether or not I should avoid either vehicle?

TIA. :wacko:

Not a gear head but I'd go with the Suburban. I had the 3ft smaller version (Tahoe) and never had any issue and maintenance was pretty inexpensive.

16 year olds first car is a Suburban? :wacko:

I'd scale back and get the Tahoe with the optional 3rd row - still too big of a car for a 16 yr old but a little more manageable. I'd make damn sure you have rear park assist because you'll back into a few things without it.

Edited by twiley

Not a gear head but I'd go with the Suburban. I had the 3ft smaller version (Tahoe) and never had any issue and maintenance was pretty inexpensive.

16 year olds first car is a Suburban? :wacko:

I'd scale back and get the Tahoe with the optional 3rd row - still too big of a car for a 16 yr old but a little more manageable. I'd make damn sure you have rear park assist because you'll back into a few things without it.

My wife's first car was a suburban.

We're getting the car for our family now (four kids and a big ol' dog), not for what my daughter may need/want/get in six years. The Tahoe is too small.

Edited by muck

GENERALLY speaking GM products have a higher resale value. I will personally not buy another GM product as long as it is socialized but that's just me. I'll try and axk my mechanic tomorrow what his feelings are.

I will personally not buy another GM product as long as it is socialized but that's just me.

I have the same predisposition, however, I don't want to be looking at a hunk of junk in a year or two, even if it's a non-socialized hunk of junk.

Make sense?

My wife's first car was a suburban.

We're getting the car for our family now (four kids and a big ol' dog), not for what my daughter may need/want/get in six years. The Tahoe is too small.

Yeah, the Tahoe is too small for that size family. I'd say it's ideal for the 2 kid family.

As a mechanic who has worked on both I would lean towards the Suburban due solely to the mileage on each vehicle. The Expedition won't be junk in 20k miles but it will be up for some fairly intense maintenance.

How each vehicle was maintained will also play a major part in their future reliability. Any past maint. records would be nice and running a Carfax report on each vehicle is advisable.

My wife has had both and we had less troubles with the Ford. All of our company trucks are Fords and they are good for about 200,000 miles or so. How much difference is there in cost between the two. Obviously lower mileage is always better, but I would imagine it comes at a cost does it not?

My wife has had both and we had less troubles with the Ford. All of our company trucks are Fords and they are good for about 200,000 miles or so. How much difference is there in cost between the two. Obviously lower mileage is always better, but I would imagine it comes at a cost does it not?

The new car has higher miles ... the cost is about the same (which is why I didn't mention it).

The new car has higher miles ... the cost is about the same (which is why I didn't mention it).

In that case I'd go with the Suburban. You aren't actually supporting Government Motors by buying this, as it is used and you can get a independent mechanic to work on it. 30,000 miles is about two years of driving for most people.

Interesting that you have a Tahoe and are asking about the Ford. No love for your existing ride?

I'm a Ford guy, but bought a Tahoe from my brother because of the way he takes care of his autos and got a screamin' deal. It's older, a '99, but still rollin' hard with no unplanned maintenance @ nearly 160,000 miles.

I think Ford has pulled well ahead of GM in the quality department in recent years that would include the vehicles you are looking at.

Isn't the Expedition just slightly longer than the Tahoe? It's definately not as long and roomy as a Suburban...

Interesting that you have a Tahoe and are asking about the Ford. No love for your existing ride?

I'm a Ford guy, but bought a Tahoe from my brother because of the way he takes care of his autos and got a screamin' deal. It's older, a '99, but still rollin' hard with no unplanned maintenance @ nearly 160,000 miles.

I think Ford has pulled well ahead of GM in the quality department in recent years that would include the vehicles you are looking at.

Isn't the Expedition just slightly longer than the Tahoe? It's definately not as long and roomy as a Suburban...

I don't have a Tahoe; Twiley was trying to get me to get one of those instead.

Consumer Reports likes the 2007 Expedition a lot more than the 2006 Suburban from a reliability standpoint. PM me if you want and I can try to figure out how to send you the CR reports for each, maybe as a pdf?

Done.

TIA

Once either of them rolls 100,000 miles then they have absoultely zero trade in value...go with th lower mileage and don't go past 70,000 miles before you trade it back in. PS i have a '08 Yukon XL loaded that I paid only 36,800 for brand new, less than 100 miles

See "Ramsey,Dave".

I'm on my 2nd Tahoe now and love it. That said, this will be the decision of my next vehicle as well. As I understand it, Ford has discontinued the Excursion and the Expedition EL is basically the same size as the Suburban, correct? When looking at my current Tahoe, I looked at an Expedition as well. Seems like a solid vehicle, but the Tahoe is just a better ride. There were a couple things I like about the Expedition though (like the fact that the rear seats folds down into the floor).

Consumer Reports likes the 2007 Expedition a lot more than the 2006 Suburban from a reliability standpoint. PM me if you want and I can try to figure out how to send you the CR reports for each, maybe as a pdf?

wish I woulda read the whole thread and saved myself the time of checking this, but yeah, what gonkis said.