[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

sebastian vollmer

is an animal...matt light will not get his left tackle job back(a move to the right side seems perfect)....i totally expect to see vollmers name tossed around by writers as a potential ROY of the year candidiate about a month or so from now...the same way many praised marcus mcneil and joe thomas during their respective rookie years

gotta respect the colts....seeminly able to plug in linebackers and db's off the streets and still get the job done...peyton is on another level right now...and reggie wayne might be the best receiver in the game(no one seems to really give him the true due repsect because he isnt the physical freak that andre and fitz are)....should be a dandy....i can see the patriots maybe trying to pound the run game behind vollmer and mankins on the left side in order to slow the game down

wish i was going to indy for the 3rd year in a row...nice city and the last two years i went the weather was absolutely gorgeous in november....but ill be in vegas for the pac/cotto fight...

i leave you with a picture from last sunday...from my section 140

http://boston.3432.voxcdn.com/wp-content/u.../1108091609.jpg

Nice shot... we're in Sec. 134.

I saw some film of Vollmer when they drafted him. He has INCREDIBLY long arms which is obviously a huge advantage... he is was also a career soccer player and has amazing feet... look forward to watching him battle with Freeney next week.

I saw some film of Vollmer when they drafted him. He has INCREDIBLY long arms which is obviously a huge advantage... he is was also a career soccer player and has amazing feet... look forward to watching him battle with Freeney next week.

ced...i cant take credit for the pic...didnt take it...and i wasnt even at the game....but that is my section...have season tix in row 23...i just thought it was an absolute beautiful shot of the big screen showing us what an amazing day joey porter had...lol...ill definitley be at the jets game in a few weeks...hit me up...well grab some drinks at cbs scene or somewhere

and you are right about vollmers arms and feet....lights injury may turn out to be a blessing....i remember them talking on the broadcast about how belichick thought he could add another 15-20lbs to his frame easily

Yeah, Freeney was shut down. But I really can't remember the last time he had a great game against the Pats. Good thing we have Robert Mathis too. That guy flat out hustles. Great game. Still can't believe the Colts won it. I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you FIDTML. I figured you must not have come to Indy this year. . .

Me too. :wacko:

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I do think Vollmer had a lot of help. I have not watched the tape though . . .

It sure seemed like every other play, the ref was saying "#64 is reporting eligible". It got to the point we were joking in the stands that they should just have a blanket eligibility for him for the whole game so the ref would quit saying it. Basically they had two tackles, instead of a TE and a tackle, in for a lot of the game.

Edited by CaptainHook

Dwight Freeney arrived at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday expecting just about anything from the New England Patriots. They didn't disappoint, frequently bringing in a third tackle, Mark LeVoir, to help block him.

"They did a great job," said Freeney, the Indianapolis Colts defensive end. "They quick-counted when they needed to. They slid the protection when they needed to. I was guessing wrong sometimes. I couldn't get there.

"Like I've always said, if (sacks) come, they come; if they don't, they don't. You don't really know when it's going to happen. The big thing is about winning the game."

The Colts did that, 35-34, to move to 9-0 with a visit to Baltimore coming Sunday.

Freeney had sacks in nine consecutive games. Had he been able to bring down Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, Freeney would have tied Denver's Simon Fletcher and Dallas' DeMarcus Ware for the NFL record with 10.

Instead, it was left end Robert Mathis who created havoc. Mathis sacked Brady twice and "pressured" him three other times in addition to forcing a fumble and making four tackles. His was a difference-making night.

"You just had to know if you didn't get any pressure on (Brady), he was going to make you pay," Mathis said. "He kind of made us pay. He tossed for a lot of yards (375) but we were able to come out with a victory."

Freeney has 91/2 sacks, Mathis 81/2. They rank third and fifth in the league.

from indystar.com

I do think Vollmer had a lot of help. I have not watched the tape though . . .

It sure seemed like every other play, the ref was saying "#64 is reporting eligible". It got to the point we were joking in the stands that they should just have a blanket eligibility for him for the whole game. Basically they had two tackles, instead of a TE and a tackle, in for a lot of the game.

I know they showed a bunch of replays of Vollmer shutting Freeney down and most of them were solo but I imagine there was some help on a large portion of snaps that they weren't showing.

Dwight Freeney arrived at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday expecting just about anything from the New England Patriots. They didn't disappoint, frequently bringing in a third tackle, Mark LeVoir, to help block him.

"They did a great job," said Freeney, the Indianapolis Colts defensive end. "They quick-counted when they needed to. They slid the protection when they needed to. I was guessing wrong sometimes. I couldn't get there.

"Like I've always said, if (sacks) come, they come; if they don't, they don't. You don't really know when it's going to happen. The big thing is about winning the game."

The Colts did that, 35-34, to move to 9-0 with a visit to Baltimore coming Sunday.

Freeney had sacks in nine consecutive games. Had he been able to bring down Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, Freeney would have tied Denver's Simon Fletcher and Dallas' DeMarcus Ware for the NFL record with 10.

Instead, it was left end Robert Mathis who created havoc. Mathis sacked Brady twice and "pressured" him three other times in addition to forcing a fumble and making four tackles. His was a difference-making night.

"You just had to know if you didn't get any pressure on (Brady), he was going to make you pay," Mathis said. "He kind of made us pay. He tossed for a lot of yards (375) but we were able to come out with a victory."

Freeney has 91/2 sacks, Mathis 81/2. They rank third and fifth in the league.

from indystar.com

I did not see "frequent" help for Vollmer, so decided to look it up. According to the only site I found which charts these things (thanks keg) here is LeVoir's "frequent" playing time breakdown:

14 of 73 plays of which:

6 were TE alone on the Right side

3 were Inside TE of a Double TE set, on the Right side

2 were TE alone on the Left side

1 was Left Tackle

1 was Inside TE of a Double TE set, on the Left side

1 was Outside TE of a Double TE set, on the Left side

So, of his 14 plays, 9 he was lined up on the Right side and 1 he was at LT (which Vollmer was not, so he was not helping him). He was on the Left side helping Vollmer for 4 plays. That's some great reporting.

What I did see was some chipping and slight little bumps off the line coming from WRs or the TE on that side, but that was pretty much the only help he was getting. For the most part he owned Freeney solo.

I'm not sure how much he did it in this game, but you do know that Freeney moves around and does not always play the right side, right? And there were approximately 44 passing plays run by the Pats (you don't help on Freeney in the 30 or so that were run-blocking)? And you can slide protection if you have LeVoir on the right side, taking on the LE so that there are more guys available to help with Freeney on the RE? Right?

Oh, and by the way, congrats Vollmer. You still lost.

Edited by CaptainHook

I'm not sure how much he did it in this game, but you do know that Freeney moves around and does not always play the right side, right? And there were approximately 44 passing plays run by the Pats (you don't help on Freeney in the 30 or so that were run-blocking)? And you can slide protection if you have LeVoir on the right side, taking on the LE so that there are more guys available to help with Freeney on the RE? Right?

played exclusively on the right side in this game http://www.profootballfocus.com/pstats.php?gameid=1537

Yup, I know. Thanks though. :wacko:

I'm watching NFL Network, now. In the second quarter alone I've seen Freeney double-teamed by Mankins and Vollmer several times. I've seen Faulk chip him. I've even seen a WR chip him. The play where Collinsworth comments about how well Vollmer is doing is a clear double-team with Mankins. :wacko:

This is the first time I've seen the game on tape. The long Faulk run was directly caused by a HUGH hold/block in the back by Welker. I saw it from the stands and cannot believe the refs blew it. And the offensive PI on Collie in the second quarter is complete garbage.

I'm watching NFL Network, now. In the second quarter alone I've seen Freeney double-teamed by Mankins and Vollmer several times. I've seen Faulk chip him. I've even seen a WR chip him. The play where Collinsworth comments about how well Vollmer is doing is a clear double-team with Mankins. :D

This is the first time I've seen the game on tape. The long Faulk run was directly caused by a HUGH hold/block in the back by Welker. I saw it from the stands and cannot believe the refs blew it. And the offensive PI on Collie in the second quarter is complete garbage.

You're right, Vollmer was awful. :wacko:

You're right, Vollmer was awful. :wacko:

That's not what I said either. I just think sometimes an announcer says something, and people run with it. I just finished watching the game on Instant Classic on NFL Network. Vollmer played very well. But he had A LOT of help. A couple of times Freeney beat him with the spin move, only to have Mankins come over and give an extra shove. He was chipped by backs, TE's, and WR's. On several of the plays Vollmer was singled up, they were the quick screens out to Welker. You'd never double anyone on a pass that happens that quick. Hats off too NE, they did a great job against Freeney (Mathis is another story), they usually do. But it was a great scheme. Not one guy. I do agree that he has a bright future in this league. I'm just not willing to say he single-handedly shut down Freeney. That's just not the case.

Interestingly, on the third down play right before NE scored their final FG, it was Freeney's pressure that forced Brady to rush his throw. I also am amazed how ultra-conservative NE went on that drive. They had just picked off Manning inside the Colts 35, but looked to be running the clock, and almost willing to settle for the FG. Why be conservative there, and then go nuts on 4th and 2?

Edited by CaptainHook

The TV commentary on the game made a point of how little help Vollmer got with Freeney all night long. In fact, when they brought the 3rd guy in, he was often lining up on the right side to help with Mathis.

This rook's very impressive indeed.

If it wasn't for the commentary on this, I wouldn't have paid attention.

That's not what I said either. I just think sometimes an announcer says something, and people run with it. I just finished watching the game on Instant Classic on NFL Network. Vollmer played very well. But he had A LOT of help. A couple of times Freeney beat him with the spin move, only to have Mankins come over and give an extra shove. He was chipped by backs, TE's, and WR's. On several of the plays Vollmer was singled up, they were the quick screens out to Welker. You'd never double anyone on a pass that happens that quick. Hats off too NE, they did a great job against Freeney (Mathis is another story), they usually do. But it was a great scheme. Not one guy. I do agree that he has a bright future in this league. I'm just not willing to say he single-handedly shut down Freeney. That's just not the case.

Interestingly, on the third down play right before NE scored their final FG, it was Freeney's pressure that forced Brady to rush his throw. I also am amazed how ultra-conservative NE went on that drive. They had just picked off Manning inside the Colts 35, but looked to be running the clock, and almost willing to settle for the FG. Why be conservative there, and then go nuts on 4th and 2?

Joey Porter said the same things after he played the Patriots. But they both had 0 tackles and a combined 4 hurries I believe.

Vollmer's a rookie 2nd round pick from U. of Houston. Not exactly an NFL breading ground. Most draft 'experts' said it was a reach, but I think he's been great since Light went out. How many rookie OT's are starting anywhere in the league right now, four? Smith, Oher and Monroe? I'd rather have him out at LT right now than Matt Light. Light was not playing well before the injury. I'd rather see them flop Light to RT wheh he's back, but I doubt they will. Have a feeling Vollmer's going to RT and Light is going back to LT.

And I thought the play calling in the 4th Quarter was pretty terrible. The posession after Garcon's TD was pretty bad, then they punt, pick off Peyton and take over at the 31, and play scared. It was all down hill at that point.

• 2 weeks later...