[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Movie: The Road

cliaz

I read the book and midway through it my wife had a problem with her pregnancy with our second child. It turned out that the problem was inconsequential, but at the time things were pretty scary for me. In that state of mind, the book really messed me up somewhat. I think I would be scared to watch the movie in a theater.

I read the book and thought it was very powerful stuff. I don't think it's possible that they can capture the same sense of loss, dread, hopelessness....whatever, on film. I would be utterly disgusted if they changed even one thing from the book, so I am leaning toward not seeing it.

It's looks good, but I'm not sure if I can watch that movie or not. I have such a close relationship with my son and it would be too easy for me to imagine us in that position... and I don't think that I ever want to imagine that.

Agreed with Skilly and Fatman. The book was probably the bleakest thing I've ever read, but I couldn't put it down. There is absolutely no hope in any way and the characters seem to know it. That's what makes it so darn depressing. I just don't see a movie being able to capture that feeling. I will be disappointed if there is anything changed from the book, but if it similar to the book, it wouldn't be a Hollywood movie. That story just doesn't sell. I will still see it but I am not expecting it to hold a candle to the book.

I am also curious to see if they attempt to explain why Earth is the way it is. The book doesn't explicitly state the reason although there are hints dropped. I hope the movie doesn't try to be an essay on saving the environment because I don't think the cause of the problem is environmental in the book.

I don't think the Coen brothers could do this movie. There is no comedy or quirkiness to it and that is what they excel in portraying. Seems like it should be more of a Darren Aronofsky movie. The director, John Hillcoat, also directed The Proposition which I really enjoyed so maybe it has a chance.

That book sounds awful. Do you read it and just want to kill yourself?

It's a tough read for a parent, no question. I really liked it though as :spoileralert: the father's sacrifice pays off in the end.

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

It's looks good, but I'm not sure if I can watch that movie or not. I have such a close relationship with my son and it would be too easy for me to imagine us in that position... and I don't think that I ever want to imagine that.

That's what I was thinking. I may never read that book.

I listened to the book on audio on a long trip to and from. I enjoyed it. I knew they were making a movie when I heard the book, so I kept thinking of it that way. The book was so complete, I really don't know if I want to see the movie and have it change how I've imagined things in my head.

I don't think the Coen brothers could do this movie. There is no comedy or quirkiness to it and that is what they excel in portraying. Seems like it should be more of a Darren Aronofsky movie. The director, John Hillcoat, also directed The Proposition which I really enjoyed so maybe it has a chance.

I think Hillcoat is a fine choice to make the movie, if the movie even needed to be made. Part of what makes the book so powerful is the lack of specificity - no names, no explanation of the disaster, limited references to location, etc. Doing so makes it very universal and easy for people to places themselves into it, adding to the emotional weight of the book. While interpretation is certainly part of reading any book I think its even more important for The Road.

after reading a lot of reviews on the book and watching the extended trailer for this, I don't know if I could read/watch it. There are some scenes that sound so horrible that it makes me feel almost sick to my stomach imaging being in the situation.