[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

white death

tonorator

Does anyone remember the blizzard of '78 in Cincinnati? Or should I dare say, were you alive then? That winter the Ohio River froze over. It was the most fun winter I ever had in Cincy. It was so bizzare, I have never seen barometric pressure drop so fast. It was 38 degrees and raining at 11:00 pm. and within 45 minutes it was 23 and snowing with 60-70 mile an hour gusts. Twenty four hours later Cincy was the coldest spot in the country at 25 below. We had a foot plus of snow. Trucks couldn't get through KY, and grocery store shelves were getting empty. Power was out for many days in some areas with well below zero temps.

Snowing pretty good here in Pittsburgh. It has been non stop this past week. 16 inches for the season before this latest snow started and we are normally only a little over 4 right about now.

I am going to have to run to the store and pray they did not run out of toiletpaper.

Does anyone remember the blizzard of '78 in Cincinnati? Or should I dare say, were you alive then? That winter the Ohio River froze over. It was the most fun winter I ever had in Cincy. It was so bizzare, I have never seen barometric pressure drop so fast. It was 38 degrees and raining at 11:00 pm. and within 45 minutes it was 23 and snowing with 60-70 mile an hour gusts. Twenty four hours later Cincy was the coldest spot in the country at 25 below. We had a foot plus of snow. Trucks couldn't get through KY, and grocery store shelves were getting empty. Power was out for many days in some areas with well below zero temps.

HA! I lived just outside Wapakoneta (Neil Armstrong's hometown) about an hour north of Dayton in 1978. I remember getting a "survivor" certificate from Gil Whitney, the weatherman at one of the Dayton TV stations. It set a record for lowest barometer readings and maybe a few other records as well. Didn't the Bengals play in some horrific weather on their way to the Super Bowl around then? Hadn't thought of any of that for a long time time. Thanks, SM. :wacko:

Today I was awakened at 5:00am with our superindent's voice on the phone saying, "Snow day!" Just found out we're out tomorrow, too!

HA! I lived just outside Wapakoneta (Neil Armstrong's hometown) about an hour north of Dayton in 1978. I remember getting a "survivor" certificate from Gil Whitney, the weatherman at one of the Dayton TV stations. It set a record for lowest barometer readings and maybe a few other records as well. Didn't the Bengals play in some horrific weather on their way to the Super Bowl around then? Hadn't thought of any of that for a long time time. Thanks, SM. :wacko:

1981 AFC Championship game.

HA! I lived just outside Wapakoneta (Neil Armstrong's hometown) about an hour north of Dayton in 1978. I remember getting a "survivor" certificate from Gil Whitney, the weatherman at one of the Dayton TV stations. It set a record for lowest barometer readings and maybe a few other records as well. Didn't the Bengals play in some horrific weather on their way to the Super Bowl around then? Hadn't thought of any of that for a long time time. Thanks, SM. :D

Today I was awakened at 5:00am with our superindent's voice on the phone saying, "Snow day!" Just found out we're out tomorrow, too!

So, I was into snow camping that winter at Red River Gorge. Thought it would be fun to pitch a tent in the '78 blizzard and 50 mph winds in my backyard, at 1:00 am, then I planned to sleep in it, just in case I would have to do this some day in the backcountry. I got the tent out, a gust a wind blew and I'm chasing the tent down the street--never did get the tent up and slept in the comfy of my own bed. :wacko: My parents were having a fit.

Another story that winter, we are snow camping down at Red River Gorge in KY. A snowstorm dumps close to a foot of snow at the Gorge. We're driving home on a Sun. night and his windshield wipers go out. He has to be at work the next morning and I have to be at school. We tie parachute cord to the windshield wipers, leave the windows open, and we mechanically man the wipers. We have the radio on and heading north. They are closing the expressway and we just make it into town when all of 1-75 thorugh KY is closed down.

1981 AFC Championship game.

That was my first trip back to Cincinnati after moving to CA. It was nicknamed the Ice Bowl I think. Wind chills were like 20 below and I think the temp hovered around zero. There were tix to be had last minute that day due to the weather. One of my ex-boyfriends called me and said he landed some tix but I whimped out. I guess 6 months in CA will do that to you. Idiots were out there shirtless to get on TV. One of my other ex-boyfriends was a Physician Assistant in the emergency room at Good Sam hospital. He was treating lots of Bengal fans for frost bite the following day

Well, I was 5, so don't remember too much, but my dad likes to tell the story of the frozen water lines. He had to run a hose from the neighbor to a bathtub just so we would have some water to drink. They framed one of the front pages of the Enquirer during that time. Had a picture of suspension bridge with the river completely iced over.

Local news is saying that we got somewhere between 6 and 8 depending on where you live but I call BS. I have removed at least 4 inches three times and there is currently 3 inches waiting for me. I am out of room to pile the snow. The good thing is this is that light lake effect snow that is like powder vs. that wet heavy crap. I can live with this but I can't seem to find my prefered bread on any store shelf right now.

Looking forward to the mid Josh Gordon warm up with temps in the high 20's and low 30's.