[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

best movies of the aughties

Azazello1313

first, my top 5:

City of God

Pan's Labyrinth

Talk to Her

The Lives of Others

American Splendor

then in alphabetical order, others I thought were really, really excellent:

Adrenaline Drive

The Aviator

Battle Royale

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Dancer in the Dark

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu

The Departed

Dogtown and Z-Boys

Gangs of New York

Gosford Park

Gran Torino

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Incident at Loch Ness

Infernal Affairs

Infernal Affairs 3

Into the Wild

Kill Bill Vols. 1 and 2

Letters from Iwo Jima

The Lives of Others

Lost in Translation

LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

LOTR: Return of the King

Man on Wire

Mulholland Drive

No Country for Old Men

The Proposition

Rivers and Tides

The Royal Tenenbaums

Slumdog Millionaire

Spiderman 2

Team America: World Police

There Will Be Blood

The Twilight Samurai

Volver

Watchmen

Winged Migration

LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

LOTR: Return of the King

Interesting that you left out The Two Towers. I thought Return of the King was the best of the three, but the Shiekette swears up and down that TTT is not only the best movie she's ever seen, but one of the only cases where the movie is actually better than the book.

Interesting that you left out The Two Towers. I thought Return of the King was the best of the three, but the Shiekette swears up and down that TTT is not only the best movie she's ever seen, but one of the only cases where the movie is actually better than the book.

if I had to pick one, it would be the first. it felt the least forced to me, as far as trying to achieve fidelity with the book. the last one was cool definitely, very self-consciously grandiose and epic, and maybe that's also why it's not my favorite installment. the middle one....I dunno, I guess I just felt like it was filling in plot the whole time and that's about it. still pretty well done and enjoyable and everything, just the weakest of the three as a standalone movie IMO.

if I had to pick one, it would be the first. it felt the least forced to me, as far as trying to achieve fidelity with the book. the last one was cool definitely, very self-consciously grandiose and epic, and maybe that's also why it's not my favorite installment. the middle one....I dunno, I guess I just felt like it was filling in plot the whole time and that's about it. still pretty well done and enjoyable and everything, just the weakest of the three as a standalone movie IMO.

Not a fan of Empire Strikes Back, then?

Not a fan of Empire Strikes Back, then?

not sure how that follows logically from what I wrote. quite the opposite, it was by far the STRONGEST "of the 3 as a standalone movie". whether it happens to come first, second or third is irrelevant to the question.

star wars, godfather, and and the leone/eastwood no-name trilogy: maybe the three best movie trilogies ever, and I like the second installment best in each of them.

star wars, godfather, and and the leone/eastwood no-name trilogy: maybe the three best movie trilogies ever, and I like the second installment best in each of them.

Wow. . .you must think GF 1 and 2 were REALLY friggin good to carry the giant pile of suck that was GF3.

Movies

WALL-E (2008)

The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-03)

Talk to Her (2002)

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

Moulin Rouge! (2001)

The Hurt Locker (2009)

White Diamond (2005)

Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004)

TIME's critics pick their favorites from a bountiful decade in the arts