[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you let your young kids

Scooby

Great post which pretty much sums up my opinion.

And to the wanker that went all judgmental and has no children... Get overyourself.

Actually, the people that got judgemental are you and sky.

I was a kid. I have some idea of how TV affected me. I have nieces and nephews, and talk to their parents about their wishes on such subjects when they are with me. I have also seen kids grow up on these games... and it aint pretty, but I can't blame the video games, it's the parents too. But I'd better darn not have an opinion on it, right?

I've never been the president but I have an opinion on what he does. I've been a soldier, but people that haven't been have an opinion on wars. I'm not yet a senior citizen, but I have an opinion on SS. None of us has ever been an NFL football player, but we all have our opinions on them. The idea that one has no basis for a sound opinion on letting kids play violent first person shooter video games if they never had a child of their own... it's laughable. It's arrogant. It's judgemental. It's stupid.

And to critisize someone for daring to even ask for other's opinions on it is wrong? Are you chittin me? Scooby is a smart, caring parent. Telling her this whole thread was a mistake... I can't even fathom that skewed though process. Kids are the most important thing in a parent's life, right? So sure, never discuss it, stumble down a blind alley and say they didn't come with an owner's manual. Brilliant. :wacko:

My 4 1/2 yr old loves anything army and also star wars, so I let him play light saber duels, rated T and also Modern Warfare 2, but only the target practice and the special ops one where you have to use an ice pick to scale the snow-capped moutains with your army buddy to help you.....I also let him play Call of Duty World at War--just the Nazi Zombies but that one is indeed violent, so only sparingly. I'm probably warping him, but like I said, he loves military stuff, he even says when he grows up, he wants to be in the army. I get him to eat certain foods by telling him that its "Army Food" and that army men eat it and grow big & strong;)

ETA-- Call of Juarez is TOTALLY out!!!

However, I think his favorite game is Squeeballs, E for everyone!!

Will you ever learn? No wonder you get some of the comments you do from this site.

Well, when I was a kid, we couldn't afford these fancy electronic video games like the other children. We did enjoy playing all kinds of great games with my Dad and I think I turned out fine though.

I played Galaga where my Dad would get drunk and wobble back and forth and throw his beer cans at us. Our job was to throw rocks and try to hit the cans. If we caught them we got a special bonus prize...he wouldn't beat us as hard that night. And then there was Frogger when we'd have to run across the interstate to buy his smokes for the day. He'd let us have gum if we made it back in one piece. That was great to get out of the house. I once had a brother and we don't know if he just kept running or didn't make it. Sometimes I still think about him through the blackened out memories of childhood.

Then I remembered playing Pac Man where he would leave a trail of popcorn to the closet. If we didn't get to the big piece of popcorn before he did, we'd have to spend a few days locked in the closet. That was the best popcorn you ever ate. I can still smell the smell of popcorn being popped and him screaming "You'd better wait or it's the belt". Sometimes it'd be the only food you had all week so I was champeen Pac Man player. We'd sometimes play Ms. Pac Man when he'd sell our clothes for hooker money. That wasn't so much fun but we knew he still loved us.

Then there was Joust where us kids would basically grab sticks, jump on the dog and beat each other for food and clothing. Dad loved that game and would laugh and laugh until he puked. He would slur and scream "I love this game" but I would hear it as "I love you TimC". Good times.

my parents were immigrants and didnt know better and let me do what I wanted (just as if they were back in their own country) and I came out OK. My parents would always talk to me about right and wrong stuff but NEVER limited me in any way wether its video games, movies, coming home early/late, going to places...never. They really brough me up by talking to me and showing me and explaining to me what is proper and what is not.

So I truley feel, you should not limit your kids, instead teach them and explain to them. That is how I will raise my kids and in fact my cousins (who are in the same boat as me with kids) practice this. Their 6 year old boy was playing assasins creed with us at christmas and then we all watched hangover.

Actually, the people that got judgemental are you and sky.

I was a kid. I have some idea of how TV affected me. I have nieces and nephews, and talk to their parents about their wishes on such subjects when they are with me. I have also seen kids grow up on these games... and it aint pretty, but I can't blame the video games, it's the parents too. But I'd better darn not have an opinion on it, right?

I've never been the president but I have an opinion on what he does. I've been a soldier, but people that haven't been have an opinion on wars. I'm not yet a senior citizen, but I have an opinion on SS. None of us has ever been an NFL football player, but we all have our opinions on them. The idea that one has no basis for a sound opinion on letting kids play violent first person shooter video games if they never had a child of their own... it's laughable. It's arrogant. It's judgemental. It's stupid.

And to critisize someone for daring to even ask for other's opinions on it is wrong? Are you chittin me? Scooby is a smart, caring parent. Telling her this whole thread was a mistake... I can't even fathom that skewed though process. Kids are the most important thing in a parent's life, right? So sure, never discuss it, stumble down a blind alley and say they didn't come with an owner's manual. Brilliant. :wacko:

+1000

You said it much better than I could of.

Well, when I was a kid, we couldn't afford these fancy electronic video games like the other children. We did enjoy playing all kinds of great games with my Dad and I think I turned out fine though.

I played Galaga where my Dad would get drunk and wobble back and forth and throw his beer cans at us. Our job was to throw rocks and try to hit the cans. If we caught them we got a special bonus prize...he wouldn't beat us as hard that night. And then there was Frogger when we'd have to run across the interstate to buy his smokes for the day. He'd let us have gum if we made it back in one piece. That was great to get out of the house. I once had a brother and we don't know if he just kept running or didn't make it. Sometimes I still think about him through the blackened out memories of childhood.

Then I remembered playing Pac Man where he would leave a trail of popcorn to the closet. If we didn't get to the big piece of popcorn before he did, we'd have to spend a few days locked in the closet. That was the best popcorn you ever ate. I can still smell the smell of popcorn being popped and him screaming "You'd better wait or it's the belt". Sometimes it'd be the only food you had all week so I was champeen Pac Man player. We'd sometimes play Ms. Pac Man when he'd sell our clothes for hooker money. That wasn't so much fun but we knew he still loved us.

Then there was Joust where us kids would basically grab sticks, jump on the dog and beat each other for food and clothing. Dad loved that game and would laugh and laugh until he puked. He would slur and scream "I love this game" but I would hear it as "I love you TimC". Good times.

I have played Galaga, Pac-Man, Frogger, Joust, and Ms Pac-Man so do think it is now OK to comment on the above post.

It is my opinion that Galaga is an awesome game.

They have to experience things to know what is good, and what is bad.

Exactly. If you shelter them too much then ship them off to college, they won't know what to stay away from. And it's not the 1950's anymore. It's hard to keep your kids sheltered from all violence unless they are locked up in their rooms 24/7.

Just wanted to clear up in case my topic wasn't so clear, I only let my boy do the target practice & scaling the snow mountain in MW2, no shooting at people, no watching adults play, however, I do let him kill the Nazi Zombies in World at War, and he gets to play light saber duels entirely. Killing the Nazi zombies is something I probably won't let him do anymore. Thanks all for the comments, I didn't take offense to any, just getting other's opinions:)

Interesting responses. So judgemental. Even someone without kids has chimed in with an opinion on how to raise kids.

Reared our kids without any censorship whatsoever. They read what was around the house, watched whatever they wanted to on the TV, and went to all the drive-in movies we went to. They both turned out just fine IMHO. Both have jobs that they have been at for years, neither has been arrested or even come close to being in trouble with the law, both have great families.

Rear your kids however you feel is the best way and never, ever, ask other people what their opinion is on what you are doing. Each and every person on this earth has an opinion on how to rear kids.... most of them without a clue or felons as kids.

Kids come with no instructions. You just do your best to lay a good foundation and one way to do that is no censorship. They have to experience things to know what is good, and what is bad.

Besides.... to quote .... "no matter what you say, they will stick their fingers in the fan."

+1 I remember an exchange with the 7 y/o back when she was 2 or 3 that went something like:

"Put the cat down. Put her down. Emma, put... Screw it. It'll hurt and you'll learn."

I try to teach my kids that all actions have consequences. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for, very often. I tell my kids all the time that they get the latitude they do because they show good judgment. That when they don't show good judgment then I will substitute my judgment for theirs, so always think before you act. Seems to be doing a fine job of showing them that actions have consequences, often resulting in less-than-desirable outcomes for poor choices. They learn pretty quickly at young ages, and the best lessons are those that are taught by experience. FWIW :wacko:

Scoob, I can't see anything wrong with what you are letting him do. Target practice is fine. Even killing zombies is.

It's the ultra realism of some of these games that has changed the landscape of "entertainment" for kids. This is new ground. I was obsessed with all sorts of "army men" toys when I was a kid. I had Anzio Invaders, this HUGH civil war set with hundreds of plastic figurines, and I played with that stuff for hours on end. Toy guns, army helmets, we used to play "army" wishing there was a way to... mark when someone ogt shot and was out of the game. Later came paintball. Then laser vests that would register hits. Still, all of that was fantasy, make believe.

Parents now have a whole lot more to think about. I wonder if "Grand Theft Auto" ever caused any kids to try stealing cars in real life. I wonder if the Columbine kids played these games. Or any of the other school kid shootings. This is new ground. The realism is what is so different. Playing with little plastic army men is fantasy, even a kid knows that. Is pulling a trigger to kill a very "real" looking person the same thing?

Zombies don't look like real people. I think that is where the difference lies. Even your son at his age knows it's fantasy. It's when it looks real that makes me wonder how harmful it might be. Good for you that you think about your kids and what's best for them. And there is nothing wrong with asking for opinions on it. They are your kids, you know that, and you will make the right choices.