[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

another one bites the dust

dmarc117

wow, when the numbers are against you just quit!!! the new lefty motto!!! :D

the dems must be proud of their elected officials!!!

:wacko::D

To be perfectly honest, no one should be proud of their elected officials. As long as any of them keep pandering to the money and not their constituents the American people will continue to be left out in the cold. Until people realize that the only us against them is the people v out of control government and not left v right, we are all losers.

To be perfectly honest, no one should be proud of their elected officials. As long as any of them keep pandering to the money and not their constituents the American people will continue to be left out in the cold. Until people realize that the only us against them is the people v out of control government and not left v right, we are all losers.

i was just asking about this in my office. are these officials simply a reflection of us? are we really that bad?

Sadly, I have to agree. I believe that the individuals we elect to Congress really are a reflection of the populace as a whole.

As a wise man once said, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. I suspect that I won't live to see it, but the corruption and excesses exhibited by the current system can only lead to a total collapse of this government and society, similar to what happened to the Roman Empire. It will only get worse unless the will of the people demands change. Right now, individuals have it too good to want to make any changes, therefore things will continue on their merry way. It is only when the masses suffer that they are willing to institute significant change to their government.

Sadly, I have to agree. I believe that the individuals we elect to Congress really are a reflection of the populace as a whole.

As a wise man once said, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. I suspect that I won't live to see it, but the corruption and excesses exhibited by the current system can only lead to a total collapse of this government and society, similar to what happened to the Roman Empire. It will only get worse unless the will of the people demands change. Right now, individuals have it too good to want to make any changes, therefore things will continue on their merry way. It is only when the masses suffer that they are willing to institute significant change to their government.

Bingo - the only real change comes when the pain of change is viewed as less than the pain of the status quo. And we definitely get the government we deserve.

wow, when the numbers are against you just quit!!! the new lefty motto!!! :wacko:

Well, he's not quitting, he's just not running again for election. He's 65, right about typical retirement age and also has prostate cancer. If this was any person in corporate America no one would have any issues with it. But since it's a congress critter and facing competition, it's suddenly a big deal.

When a football player is coming to the end of their career, most like to go out on their own terms. Not becoming a washed out shell of what they use to be that no one wants. This isn't that much different, is it?

Well, he's not quitting, he's just not running again for election. He's 65, right about typical retirement age and also has prostate cancer. If this was any person in corporate America no one would have any issues with it. But since it's a congress critter and facing competition, it's suddenly a big deal.

When a football player is coming to the end of their career, most like to go out on their own terms. Not becoming a washed out shell of what they use to be that no one wants. This isn't that much different, is it?

I have Robert Byrd on the line. Would you like to take this in your office?

This country has compromised its moral values. Until that changes America as we know it has no chance.

That and he is way behind in all the polls.

That and he is way behind in all the polls.
Ok. So exclude his age, years of service, and cancer. So he's behind in the polls and not likely to be re-elected. So you want him to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to win something he won't? That sounds a lot like the same type of strategy that's worked so well in Iraq and Afghanistan.

My point is that all things must come to an end at some point. Yes there will be a switch in ownership of his seat in Washington. But it's hardly just quitting or the people being proud of their elected officials deciding not to run again (for whatever reason).

Ok. So exclude his age, years of service, and cancer. So he's behind in the polls and not likely to be re-elected. So you want him to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to win something he won't? That sounds a lot like the same type of strategy that's worked so well in Iraq and Afghanistan.

My point is that all things must come to an end at some point. Yes there will be a switch in ownership of his seat in Washington. But it's hardly just quitting or the people being proud of their elected officials deciding not to run again (for whatever reason).

You know most politicians will remain politicians as long as they can get re-elected, look at Ted Kennedy and Robert Byrd if you need an example. The reason conservatives are happy about this is because he realized he can't get re-elected which means that a conservative (well at least conservative for Conn.) will be elected.

Too many in this country feel they have a monopoly on morals (be it bible thumpers or eco-elitists). Until that changes America as we know it has no chance.

fixed

As long as we give our elected officials easy outs like making a big deal about things like ghey marriage or enacting random and quite possibly marginally effective environmental policies, they'll continually get away with ignoring the things they're actually supposed to be doing.

fixed

As long as we give our elected officials easy outs like making a big deal about things like ghey marriage or enacting random and quite possibly marginally effective environmental policies, they'll continually get away with ignoring the things they're actually supposed to be doing.

:wacko:

Well-said, det.

fixed

so true.....we make more out of a personal decision they make vs a national decision that ruins us all.

wow, when the numbers are against you just quit!!! the new lefty motto!!! :D

:wacko::D

Sarah Palin?

Can't say I'm sorry to see him go, him and Lieberman makes quite the pair of Connecticut Megan Foxes.

Yep, with the criteria we seem to use, you'd think we were voting for Homecoming King or something.

the real question is what does it take to change it? it seems most of us here agree on this point, but how far does it have to go that we stand up? are we too complacent? dont give a fruck?

what does it take to stand up and finally say, you guys suck, no mas?

we all complain about the 2party system. but how come it is almost impossible for an independent to get elected? money is def a factor, but if we are all fed up, it shouldnt really matter.

Edited by dmarc117

the real question is what does it take to change it? it seems most of us here agree on this point, but how far does it have to go that we stand up? are we too complacent? dont give a fruck?

we all complain about the 2party system. but how come it is almost impossible for an independent to get elected?

Perhaps this could be the start: Dodd is in trouble because he lied about the AIG payout language he inserted, then denied inserting. Lieberman is finished in this state as well, you can bet on that.

we all complain about the 2party system. but how come it is almost impossible for an independent to get elected? money is def a factor, but if we are all fed up, it shouldnt really matter.

The rules themselves are stacked against change as is the social consciousness. Every time someone squawks about someone on the other side of the aisle it just reinforces that concept of your either with us or against us. Until discourse on topics begin starting with the words WE have a problem here instead of The Dems or the Reps it won't change. Change of this sort has to be mandated from the people of which less than half typically vote in elections, never mind are active on topics that don't immediately effect them. The only time people start to get pissed off is when their taxes go up and even then it's just saber rattling.

Remember, the people in power want the money and power. They most certainly aren't going to do anything of themselves to change that. It takes effort to make change, something that most Americans either are stretched too thin to provide or simple don't care enough to. It doesn't really matter which, it amounts to the same thing in the end.

The great fallacy of it all is that we think that we elect representatives to speak for us, with our voice. As soon as that happens though, we turn a blind eye, assuming that these elected officials will act according to our wishes and in our best interests. While it has become clear to some that this is not the case, all too many Americans still assume it to be true. Which is why, when our leaders run amok, there is no outrage. There is no accountability that our leaders do what is asked of them, not what curries them political favor or money for their next election.

Supposedly, the electoral process holds them accountable but the system has been corrupted in such as way as to make that easily sidestepped. Money and influence peddling rule the day, the will of the people is merely something that is spoken about during elections or laughed at over drinks.