[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help name my Keepers

fitzkek

I'm in a standard 10 team PPR. We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, K, D. 6 points per TD whether it's running, passing, or receiving. 1 pt. per 10 yards rushing and receiving. 1 pt per 20 yards passing. No bonus points.

Drew Brees QB NOR

Maurice Jones-Drew RB JAC

Chris Johnson RB TEN

Steve Smith WR CAR

T.J. Houshmandzadeh WR SEA

Miles Austin WR DAL

Antonio Gates TE SDG

Matt Cassel QB KAN

Justin Fargas RB OAK

Laurence Maroney RB NWE

Felix Jones RB DAL

Jerricho Cotchery WR NYJ

Jason Avant WR PHI

Earl Bennett WR CHI

Vernon Davis TE SF

I'm definitely keeping MJD and CJ. Leaning toward Brees.

I'm looking for some input from my fellow "experts." I've bolded who I'm torn between keeping.

Thanks in advance,

Fitzy

Edited by fitzkek

For sure:

- Chris Johnson

- Maurice Jones Drew

- Miles Austin

Torn between these for the last spot:

- Vernon Davis

- Drew Brees

Seems like there are more "top end" TEs in the league now than in the past ... and normally, I'd likely not be inclined to keep a QB, but having Brees locked into your lineup along with the 3 players listed in the "for sure" category above gives you a pretty decent core. I think I'd keep Brees over Davis ... I suppose I could make a case for retaining Davis over Austin, but given that you need to start 3 WR, seems like other teams may be keeping players at that position, so you may want to do the same just to make sure you don't lose out at WR totally.

Edited by ts

Without knowing how many you can keep of the bolded, you MUST keep Miles Austin. Without a doubt.

Sorry I forgot to mention that we can only keep 4. I like Brees b/c it is a QB heavy league and for one reason or another, just about every team keeps one, so there aren't many available in the draft.

I got lucky and drafted Johnson in his rookie year in the 5th round. I traded Bush and Braylon for Brees 2 seasons ago. And I traded for MJD last season for draft picks. Austin was obviously an add/drop this year as he was for basically all leagues.

I bolded the guys that I can't decide between as my 3/4 keepers.

I would keep Brees, CJ, MJD, and Austin, and it's not even close.

Definitely draft a WR in the 1st round, and you could go really really bold & draft a TE (if Davis, Clark, etc is available) in the 2nd round. Otherwise I'd draft another WR in the 2nd round. You're so set at RB & QB that you can wait until way later on to grab a 3rd RB, just find a player who will be the 2010 verion of Mendenhall or Charles, won't be hard.

Even better scenario:

Since Brees, MJD, and CJ are pretty much at the top of their positions, why don't you find a way to package Austin + Vernon, or Austin + Smith, or Austin + Gates, to get a slight upgrade at WR. Maybe you can get the Roddy White, Andre Johnson (good luck), Wayne, or VJax (if you rank him higher) owner to go for it. Doesn't hurt to try.

Edited by jordanzs

I would keep Brees, CJ, MJD, and Austin, and it's not even close.

Definitely draft a WR in the 1st round, and you could go really really bold & draft a TE (if Davis, Clark, etc is available) in the 2nd round. Otherwise I'd draft another WR in the 2nd round. You're so set at RB & QB that you can wait until way later on to grab a 3rd RB, just find a player who will be the 2010 verion of Mendenhall or Charles, won't be hard.

Even better scenario:

Since Brees, MJD, and CJ are pretty much at the top of their positions, why don't you find a way to package Austin + Vernon, or Austin + Smith, or Austin + Gates, to get a slight upgrade at WR. Maybe you can get the Roddy White, Andre Johnson (good luck), Wayne, or VJax (if you rank him higher) owner to go for it. Doesn't hurt to try.

That's a pretty good idea. But I started to think that I shouldn't package too much with Austin for the likes of VJackson. Austin was the 6th ranked WR in my league last season with Jackson finishing 11th.

I'd try not to package Austin with Vernon Davis though, as you'd probably want to throw Vernon back into the pile & see if you can scoop him back up in the 2nd round.

I'm a fan of VJax, I wouldn't be surprised to see him outproduce Austin next year. We'll see though. But yeah, pick any WR that you like better than Austin and go after him!

Well, I ended up trading Steve Smith (car) and Felix Jones for a 2nd rounder (11th overall-1st in 2nd round). So now I have pick 9 and 11. I like it. Plus it will give me a better shot at a good WR at the top of 2nd round I think.

Well, I ended up trading Steve Smith (car) and Felix Jones for a 2nd rounder (11th overall-1st in 2nd round). So now I have pick 9 and 11. I like it. Plus it will give me a better shot at a good WR at the top of 2nd round I think.

I like it too. I'd go Brees, MJD, CJ, Austin

Get a WR/TE with the 9th and 11th and you will have a killer team. Your only possible weakness maybe that 3rd WR but with that core and those picks it doesn't really matter.

Now when you lock in your keepers & discard the rest, can other teams pick up your free agents? Or does it lock them out from being picked up until the draft?

I'm assuming that teams won't be able to pick up your discarded players until the draft.

If that's the case, you may not want to trade away Gates or Vernon, just throw them back into the pile and pick them up again with your early picks. What are the chances that BOTH of those players will get chosen within the 1st 11 picks? Highly unlikely. So yeah, go WR/WR, WR/TE or TE/WR and your team will be set to dominate!!!!

Now when you lock in your keepers & discard the rest, can other teams pick up your free agents? Or does it lock them out from being picked up until the draft?

I'm assuming that teams won't be able to pick up your discarded players until the draft.

If that's the case, you may not want to trade away Gates or Vernon, just throw them back into the pile and pick them up again with your early picks. What are the chances that BOTH of those players will get chosen within the 1st 11 picks? Highly unlikely. So yeah, go WR/WR, WR/TE or TE/WR and your team will be set to dominate!!!!

yea we name our keepers 2 weeks before the draft so that everyone can properly prepare. During that 2 week period everyones rosters are locked in.

That's my draft plan anyways. Thanks for the help.

Edited by fitzkek

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brees, CJ and MJD for sure. The question is between Austin and Davis as the 4th IMO.

You need 3 WR and only 1 TE. Much more likely to pick up a top TE in the draft. Having a top WR like Austin already on your roster and filling one of those 3 spots seems like a better play. Another piece to consider, which one scored better '09 in your league scoring? Probably Austin, and I think he's going to continue that streak, though if you end up with the opportunity to draft Davis back again that will definitely put your team in good position. Good luck!

I'm in a standard 10 team PPR. We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, K, D. 6 points per TD whether it's running, passing, or receiving. 1 pt. per 10 yards rushing and receiving. 1 pt per 20 yards passing. No bonus points.

Drew Brees QB NOR

Maurice Jones-Drew RB JAC

Chris Johnson RB TEN

Steve Smith WR CAR

T.J. Houshmandzadeh WR SEA

Miles Austin WR DAL

Antonio Gates TE SDG

Matt Cassel QB KAN

Justin Fargas RB OAK

Laurence Maroney RB NWE

Felix Jones RB DAL

Jerricho Cotchery WR NYJ

Jason Avant WR PHI

Earl Bennett WR CHI

Vernon Davis TE SF

I'm definitely keeping MJD and CJ. Leaning toward Brees.

I'm looking for some input from my fellow "experts." I've bolded who I'm torn between keeping.

Thanks in advance,

Fitzy

I'm a hugh Cowboys fan and Miles Austin scares the crap out of me. As a matter of fantasy preference, I like the possession type WRs. Austin is a home run hitter with one outstanding season, albeit in the fabeled 3rd season (he was a kick returner his first year). That being said, I dislike your WRs so much, he's the only one I'd consider keeping. There is talk around here that Jones may become the starter over Barber but I won't believe that until I actually see it. If you put both Gates and Davis back into the draft it will make TE a more talent deep position and if willing to take one early, you might benefit more by allowing them both back into the pool.

I think I keep Brees, MJD and Johnson then draft 2 WRS and a TE in the first three rounds of the draft. I'm a pretty consistent fantasy football loser so if you can figure out what the exact opposite of what I would do is then you have your answer.

Good luck and the Eagles suck.

Edited by Clubfoothead