[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Apple iPad

CaP'N GRuNGe

I don't buy much Apple stuff, but aren't most first releases like this? I mean, they always seem to be fairly crippled in first gen. I don't know if it's because they are rushed to market or they just figure the rabid Apple fans that buy the first gen will buy the 3rd gens anyway. :wacko:
Apple having thoroughly conquored the portable music market, very firmly entrenched in the smartphone market, and years of experience in the PC/laptop market, I would have expected less "1g crippling" then what each of those other markets first experienced. It's really a hybrid of those 3 markets.

I was thinking of buying a kindle to read books and magazine so I might venture into this product. I will wait for 2nd gen though.
One thing that may be important for some is battery life. the iPad is suppose to be good for 10 hours. The Kindle I believe goes for 4-10 days depending on wireless use. The big difference is due to the display technology. Obviously though you get a whole lot more features and functionality with the iPad with that disadvantage though.

One thing that may be important for some is battery life. the iPad is suppose to be good for 10 hours. The Kindle I believe goes for 4-10 days depending on wireless use. The big difference is due to the display technology. Obviously though you get a whole lot more features and functionality with the iPad with that disadvantage though.

I think Amazon will drop its price on the kindle now also. I am willing to sacrifice battery life for additional functionality because I am pretty good at charging my stuff overnight and I never go on long runs of usage. I wish the i-pad came in a 6" size.

I was thinking of buying a kindle to read books and magazine so I might venture into this product. I will wait for 2nd gen though.

This is typically the best strategy with Apple products.

The first release is to impress the investors and the big nerds who buy all things Apple. The second release is with the bugs worked out.

(i.e. first 13" Macbook Pro had no fire-wire or SD card slot. Second release had both)

If you could just add a freaking' USB port this would be an exponentially better product.

the killer app for this i was hoping for was peer to peer video conferencing. the video conference features on the Mac are top-notch and taking that to something as portable to the iPad would be game changing. could you imagine sitting on your couch, getting a video call from your friend, grabbing the iPad and having a video chat? that would open up all kinds of possibilities ... who knows, maybe they will have that in a future release.

iPad Hardware Reveals Potential Slot for Camera

I don't really anticipate being in the market for either device, but if I was and my main purpose was reading stuff on it, I think I'd much rather have the kindle/e-reader type display, much easier on the eyes.