[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SUVs

MrTed46

Which is your favorite SUV? I am going to purchase on in the next year but I am doing research from now. I don't have a budget right now as I am in the research stage but I would like to hear opinions.

I currently like the BMW X5 and the Porche Cayenne alot. I also likethe Audi Q5 ad the Infinity FX35.

Really depends on what you want/need it for...are you actually taking it off-road/4-wheeling and if so, what type of terrain. Going to tow anything with it and if so, what's the weight it will be pulling. Will you be camping out in it or do you just need it to get you somewhere...etc...

I just bought an 09 Nissan Xterra to tow my boat with...had one when they first came out back in 2000 which in my opinion towed a lot better than this newer one, but the overall ride/xtras on this model are much better.

Be aware that most SUVs are built on car frames and only a few are built on truck frames...the car frames ride a lot smoother but if you plan on doing any type of serious off-roading/towing you should consider a truck frame which takes the pounding and wear much better. The truck frame built SUVs IMO run better/longer with fewer maintenance costs.

have a pathfinder and a 4runner before that. the 4runner met an early death due to a womans inability to stop at redlights. i liked the 4rnnr a little better. smoother ride imo. i will pay the gas mileage penalty for a little more steel around me and my family.

Which is your favorite SUV? I am going to purchase on in the next year but I am doing research from now. I don't have a budget right now as I am in the research stage but I would like to hear opinions.

I currently like the BMW X5 and the Porche Cayenne alot. I also likethe Audi Q5 ad the Infinity FX35.

I think you need to re-phrase your question to "What is your favorite luxury SUV?" Judging by the makes/models you mentioned, my guess is you're not planning on doing a lot of off-roading, towing, or hauling gear(ie hunting/fishing equip). If you are planning on doing those things, I wouldnt go with the models you've mentioned. I'd get something more rugged that is built on a truck frame(like ABWF suggested).

I am guessing you're looking for something that looks sharp, gives you some cargo room, and has the 4x4 capability in case you would ever need it? :wacko:

I think you need to re-phrase your question to "What is your favorite luxury SUV?" Judging by the makes/models you mentioned, my guess is you're not planning on doing a lot of off-roading, towing, or hauling gear(ie hunting/fishing equip). If you are planning on doing those things, I wouldnt go with the models you've mentioned. I'd get something more rugged that is built on a truck frame(like ABWF suggested).

I am guessing you're looking for something that looks sharp, gives you some cargo room, and has the 4x4 capability in case you would ever need it? :wacko:

Good points. Besides, how much cargo room do those tiny luxury SUVs even have? Cayennes look like mini RAV 4s.

You are correct. I AM that obnoxious driver who wants a luxury SUV for some cargo room and good in snow. I will never go off roading or need it to drive around a big family.

do the three of you have big families, lots of bad weather or are you guys contractors of some sort?

Well, we have 2 boys with another child on the way. We bought the Suburban for the following reasons:

1. Did not want a minivan

2. Suburban had bucket seats for the second row, so the older boy will be able to walk through to the 3rd row to strap himself in by the time the baby comes in July

3. 4x4. We don't typically get alot of snow here, but when we do I wanted my wife to have it.

4. Tow package. We have a fishing boat, so I needed a tow package that could handle that.

5. Storage. The Suburban has about an extra 3-4' of storage behind the 3rd row seat, and we do a fair amount of fishing and camping.

For all of those requirements, there are basically 3 vehicles that have all of those. The Yukon Denali, Suburban, and the Ford Expedition EL, which started getting produced in '07. Our budget eliminated the Ford, but I would have preferred to buy a Ford. (just always have owned a Ford)

The '04 Suburban we bought only had 51000 miles on it and we paid less than $18000, so I feel we got a great deal. Has all the leather, heated seats, the works. So very pleased so far.

Good points. Besides, how much cargo room do those tiny luxury SUVs even have? Cayennes look like mini RAV 4s.

Xterra is a mid-sized model (Pathfinder is the larger Nissan model) and it's cargo capacity is decent if you take out the back seats...it's definitely not something you'd want to camp out in as is but you can get the extension tents that they sell for different models. It will seat about 4 people comfortably but 5 people is harsh unless you have 3 smaller children in the back seat who don't need carseats. I have 2 carseats and they take up the entire back seat.

The roof rack will hold quite a bit and most SUVs give you some type of option for this.

OK . . . . do you guys often use your 4 wheel drive?

I grew up in WI, now live in IL and have NEVER needed 4 wheel drive for weather conditions.

Sure I use it. I'd rather be safe than sorry. 4x4 saved my wife's ass this year when she was going across a slick bridge.

Sure I use it. I'd rather be safe than sorry. 4x4 saved my wife's ass this year when she was going across a slick bridge.

I currently have a BMW 3series (RWD) and I almost died this year in the snow storm. I did a 360 on a major road and I wasn't going fast at all. How I managed not to hit a car or even pedestrians on the curb is a miracle. This is why I want to get a luxury SUV. I don't need it to go off roading, towing, etc. I just want something that looks nice, is better than a RWD car in snow/rain and has a little extra cargo space.

Which luxury SUV looks the nicest to you guys? (assume they are all mechanically the same) I am going to start to rate the SUVs by looks then narrow it down based on features and reviews.

I live in Nebraska and we've used the 4x4 on my wife's Ford Escape at least half a dozen or so times just this winter. We don't need it every winter but it's been nice to have when we get snow dumped on us. I'm kind of looking for a replacement SUV this year for her though. Right now I'm eye balling a few years old Honda Pilot or Jeep Commander with low miles. I haven't gotten into it too deep yet but those are my initial ideas. Can't help much on the OP's question. I don't think I would ever buy a luxury car. Vehicles are expensive and drop in value like a rock. I'd rather drive something more reasonable and have more money for vacations/investments.

Which luxury SUV looks the nicest to you guys? (assume they are all mechanically the same) I am going to start to rate the SUVs by looks then narrow it down based on features and reviews.

Surely this is in the eye of the beholder? Some SUVs look to me to be beyond ugly but presumably their drivers don't think so. Wouldn't you be better off doing this the other way round - tech specs first, looks after?

The Porche is the most overpriced piece of crap I've ever seen. Seriously I had a friend buy one of those and I just laughed in his face when he told me what he got. My father just got a Mercedes GL 450 and it is sick. If I were buying my wife a new SUV, that would probably be what I'd get her, but she is not getting a new car for a few more years and I'm sure there will be another SUV that I'll be drooling over then.