[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

North Korea takes another step forward

Ursa Majoris

In North Hamgyong province, a merchant couple in their 60s killed themselves after hearing of the revaluation, said the Daily NK, a Seoul-based online news outlet that focuses on North Korean affairs.

When are those people going to rise up and take back their country, their freedom, their lives??? When is someone going to put a bullet in the head of that insane dictator? I don't get it.

read this yesterday, from the ever-eloquent chris hitchens.

Here are the two most shattering facts about North Korea. First, when viewed by satellite photography at night, it is an area of unrelieved darkness. Barely a scintilla of light is visible even in the capital city. (See this famous photograph.) Second, a North Korean is on average six inches shorter than a South Korean. You may care to imagine how much surplus value has been wrung out of such a slave, and for how long, in order to feed and sustain the militarized crime family that completely owns both the country and its people.

But this is what proves Myers right. Unlike previous racist dictatorships, the North Korean one has actually succeeded in producing a sort of new species. Starving and stunted dwarves, living in the dark, kept in perpetual ignorance and fear, brainwashed into the hatred of others, regimented and coerced and inculcated with a death cult: This horror show is in our future, and is so ghastly that our own darling leaders dare not face it and can only peep through their fingers at what is coming.

When are those people going to rise up and take back their country, their freedom, their lives??? When is someone going to put a bullet in the head of that insane dictator? I don't get it.

One item from the article Az posted says:

The United States and its partners make up in aid for the huge shortfall in North Korea's food production, but there is not a hint of acknowledgement of this by the authorities, who tell their captive subjects that the bags of grain stenciled with the Stars and Stripes are tribute paid by a frightened America to the Dear Leader.

It's likely that we, through our wish to help the people avoid death, are propping up the regime and putting off the day of reckoning that will surely come. Although it's a tough decision to make, completely cutting off all aid, isolating N Korea through blockade and mounting a massive propaganda blitz to overcome the North's jammers might be the best option. This might force either a revolution or a military takeover. Even a military junta might be easier to deal with (i.e. saner) than the lunatic in charge now.

We'd have to guarantee the south and be prepared to wipe out hundreds of thousands of NKA troops as they crossed the border.

I think we need to deal with this whole thing right now before they reach the point where they can actually be a major threat.

The answer is depressingly simple: they have no idea what they're missing, nothing to compare what they lack against anything else.

you mean, pre-emptively? how very neocon of you. :wacko:

All I know is that in '03, when we had a hard-on to go after some dictator who possessed WMDs, why didn't we go after the guy who actually had them? Not enough oil over there? Because we didn't want to start a war with a guy who could actually bomb us?

You know, WMD is like RBI, the plural is all jacked up.

The answer is depressingly simple: they have no idea what they're missing, nothing to compare what they lack against anything else.

I don't know man... when 60 year old couples are killing themselves because they have no hope, based upon their nation's fiscal policy... seems like they know enough to choose death over another moment under Kim Jong Il.

I don't know man... when 60 year old couples are killing themselves because they have no hope, based upon their nation's fiscal policy... seems like they know enough to choose death over another moment under Kim Jong Il.

True, but their perception of their leader is one of near deification. They'd bring greater dishonor onto themselves (or so they think) if they went after him instead of offing themselves. I just don't think we can comprehend. They think we're the fakes.

They pulled out of the anti-proliferation treaty in '03. That would have been enough if they were in the Middle East.

I assume you're just trying to be glib here, but there is literally NO ONE this side of h8tank who seriously advocated military action against NK in 2003 (or since, really).