[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Going to the kids school tomorrow to read to her class

whomper

My daughters school has a student of the week program. They have it for K and 1st grade. Each kid gets a turn and when its your week they have all special stuff planned everyday. My little one was star student this week . The final day of the week the kid asks one of their parents to come in and read to the class. I have done it twice for my oldest and this will be the 2nd time for my little one. She is on cloud nine right now. Im happy for her and I am psyched to do it. I like to make the kids laugh a little and the kid gets a real kick out of it.

Have you gone to your kids school for something like this ? I know some schools have a program where the parent comes in and explains their job to the kids . How did it go for you ? Tomorrow is going to be a good day :wacko:

A few weeks ago was my son's 8th birthday. I surprised him by showing up to be a lunch dad that day. He was beaming with pride that I was there. I had fun too just helping the kids open their milks and chip bags, etc. Kids at that age crack me up.

Mrs. Puddy goes every year to teach dental hygiene stuff to the kids. Not only my sons class but goes on separate days to kindergarten and first grade. She loves doing that.

Have you gone to your kids school for something like this ? I know some schools have a program where the parent comes in and explains their job to the kids . How did it go for you ? Tomorrow is going to be a good day :wacko:

I enjoy getting up to read in my kids' classrooms and helping out in the library as much as possible. I've also done playground duty in the past, which is also quite interesting. And once a year I bring lunch for the kids (Happy Meals or something like that on a day where they'd bring lunch from home anyway) and sit with them to eat. My 6th grade daughter is at the age now where it's not cool to do stuff like that with your parents, but my other three (4th grade son, 2nd grade daughter, Kindergarten daughter) all get a hugh kick out of it. As an added bonus, you get to meet their friends and see which ones you don't necessarily want your kids hanging around with.

2V

I know some schools have a program where the parent comes in and explains their job to the kids . How did it go for you ?

I was asked to explain my job to my daughter's eighth grade class. I thought it went pretty well except all the guys in the class wanted to tag along with me at my office the next day and my daughter didn't speak to me for about a month. I'm not sure why. :wacko:

I was asked to explain my job to my daughter's eighth grade class. I thought it went pretty well except all the guys in the class wanted to tag along with me at my office the next day and my daughter didn't speak to me for about a month. I'm not sure why. :wacko:

:D

My daughters school has a student of the week program. They have it for K and 1st grade. Each kid gets a turn and when its your week they have all special stuff planned everyday. My little one was star student this week . The final day of the week the kid asks one of their parents to come in and read to the class. I have done it twice for my oldest and this will be the 2nd time for my little one. She is on cloud nine right now. Im happy for her and I am psyched to do it. I like to make the kids laugh a little and the kid gets a real kick out of it.

I have been "mystery reader" several times the last few years. The cool thing for dads is that most kids expect a mom to show up at the door. It has been great to sit there with my son or daughter and read to their class. Your kid will be beaming the whole time. Enjoy.

When my son was in grade school I explained my job to the class. Not sure what grade it was but the kids were pretty young. I was a housing inspector at the time so I brought some of my tools; flashlight, electrical tester, etc for them to use. It went well until they asked me how much money I make? :wacko:

My wife is reading to my 5 year old's class today. I was invited, and my son would have been really excited because Mommy usually does these things regardless, but I have a conference call at 10am that I can't reschedule. :wacko:

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Reading to kids? You mean like from actual books? And they don't groan?? Wow - I thought kids today scarcely even knew what books were. I figured that concept was as obsolete as 286 PCs nowdays. Nice to hear otherwise. :wacko: I had a teacher one year who read to us every day first thing - don't recall the story any more but she'd read a little each day and got all of us caught up in it.

When I hear y'all talking about telling kids what you do for a living I picture "City Slickers" :D

Reading to kids? You mean like from actual books? And they don't groan?? Wow - I thought kids today scarcely even knew what books were. I figured that concept was as obsolete as 286 PCs nowdays. Nice to hear otherwise. :wacko: I had a teacher one year who read to us every day first thing - don't recall the story any more but she'd read a little each day and got all of us caught up in it.

When I hear y'all talking about telling kids what you do for a living I picture "City Slickers" :D

:D exact thing i told my brother yesterday. The fireman was a riot and Billy Crystal staring at his plumbers crack was priceless

Just got back. It went great. I cracked them up a few times and the book my daughter picked was funny. This kids liked it. It was called Bedhead. Then I surprised them and read a Children's book that I wrote that I am trying to get published. They really liked it. It didnt have illustrations but the feedback was great. My daughter seemed really happy. A great day was had by all.

Just got back. It went great. I cracked them up a few times and the book my daughter picked was funny. This kids liked it. It was called Bedhead. Then I surprised them and read a Children's book that I wrote that I am trying to get published. They really liked it. It didnt have illustrations but the feedback was great. My daughter seemed really happy. A great day was had by all.

You are a good man Whomp. One day your kids will read to you. :wacko:

Very cool - hope every Huddler (and those without) with kids takes the opportunity to do this. Not only is it a great service to the kids, it helps you be aware of how our education system is failing so many kids. How do kids make it through jr high barely able to read See Spot Run? Hard to believe, but it's true - I've tutored them myself. It's a mix of :D:D:wacko: and :D