[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sallie Mae

untateve

Here's the story--

I had received my student loan interest form from from Sallie Mae. So, I got to wondering what my payoff amount was on my student loans. I register on their site, pull up my account info and see that I only owe $2316. I have auto-withdrawal so I'm figuring I have about 7 more payments and my loan is all done. Woohoo!

I tool around the site and I come across my repayment schedule. The repayment schedule showed that I'd be done paying off my loan in March 2014 and the total amount repaid would be $17,807.45!!!

I'm thinking I must be reading the website wrong and therefore, I give Sallie Mae a call. I explain what I understand my loan payoff amount to me and the nice customer rep lady confirms this. I then ask about my loan repayment schedule as I can't believe that I'm understanding the website. The nice customer rep lady confirms that if I just keep doing auto-withdrawal, my payments will end in 2014 and I'll have paid $17,807.45.

I start laughing as does nice customer rep lady. I'm somewhat incredulous and I ask her if I pay $2316 right now, I'm essentially saving $15,000?

"Do I understand this correctly?" And nice customer rep lady confirms that I understand this correctly.

Is it me or does $15,000 interest on the remaining $2316 of the loan seem a bit fn high?!? (I didn't ask nice customer rep lady that question as her laughing with me told me all I needed to know.)

I paid off my loan right then and there, saving myself $15,000.

Wow, what was your interest rate?

7.75%

I think when I consolidated my student loans with Sallie Mae (around 1993), I should have read the fine print. However, I was broke, living in Boston, and did not want to default.

Edited by untateve

Here's the story--

I had received my student loan interest form from from Sallie Mae. So, I got to wondering what my payoff amount was on my student loans. I register on their site, pull up my account info and see that I only owe $2316. I have auto-withdrawal so I'm figuring I have about 7 more payments and my loan is all done. Woohoo!

I tool around the site and I come across my repayment schedule. The repayment schedule showed that I'd be done paying off my loan in March 2014 and the total amount repaid would be $17,807.45!!!

I'm thinking I must be reading the website wrong and therefore, I give Sallie Mae a call. I explain what I understand my loan payoff amount to me and the nice customer rep lady confirms this. I then ask about my loan repayment schedule as I can't believe that I'm understanding the website. The nice customer rep lady confirms that if I just keep doing auto-withdrawal, my payments will end in 2014 and I'll have paid $17,807.45.

I start laughing as does nice customer rep lady. I'm somewhat incredulous and I ask her if I pay $2316 right now, I'm essentially saving $15,000?

"Do I understand this correctly?" And nice customer rep lady confirms that I understand this correctly.

Is it me or does $15,000 interest on the remaining $2316 of the loan seem a bit fn high?!? (I didn't ask nice customer rep lady that question as her laughing with me told me all I needed to know.)

I paid off my loan right then and there, saving myself $15,000.

You should have told them to go kick mud and then called one of those outfits where they promise to eliminate your debt for you. You know the ones...

"Are you over $10,000 in debt...we know what the credit companies dont want you to know...dont let them ruin your life...we'll get you back the freedom you deserve!" :wacko:

Math makes no sense. Given that balance, payment amount, and interest rate you would have paid off as follows:

Payment 	 Interest 	 Balance 								 2,316.00 1	 363.10 	 14.96 	 1,967.86 2	 363.10 	 12.71 	 1,617.47 3	 363.10 	 10.45 	 1,264.81 4	 363.10 	 8.17 	 909.88 5	 363.10 	 5.88 	 552.66 6	 363.10 	 3.57 	 193.13 7	 194.37 	 1.25 	 0.00

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe