[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor: Bucs want Suh

kpholmes

Doesn't make any sense at all if you think about it. Trade their QB and their 3rd overall pick to get a DT and not have a QB? Just seems like a bored media rumor to me.

Johnson isn't their starter. He's a borderline backup. This move makes PERFECT sense for both teams. The Rams have taken D-Lineman very high the last few years and already have tons of money tied into their D-line. The Rams badly want a QB, but don't want to pay Bradford #1 overall money. Tampa wants to build around the next Warren Sapp. This almost makes too much sense to not happen.

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 20, 2010 6:31 PM ET

Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh is going to the Rams with the first pick in most NFL mock drafts, including our own. But with two months to go before the draft, there's plenty of time for plenty of discussion of other potential landing spaces.

Today's discussion centers on Tampa Bay, where Chris Steuber of Scout.com reports that the Buccaneers' infatuation with Suh could lead them to trade up with the Rams and take Suh first overall. Per Steuber, the trade could involve the Bucs sending quarterback Josh Johnson to the Rams, along with the Bucs' first-round pick (No. 3 overall) and another pick as well.

Of course, that raises the question of who the Rams would take with the third overall pick. If the Rams don't take Suh, they'd be expected to take a quarterback, most likely Oklahoma's Sam Bradford. But if they're going to take Bradford, why would they be so intent on acquiring Johnson?

Meanwhile, PewterReport.com has been hearing that there's no way the Buccaneers will trade up with the Rams because the Bucs don't want to be saddled with the enormous contract that the first overall pick will command.

So for now the smart money is on the Rams taking Suh first overall. But with two months to go before the draft, there's still plenty of time for that to change.

From PFT

That's why I think this rumor is just a reach by a bored media.

Edited by fitzkek

I will be extremely shocked if the Rams don't stay at 1 and take Suh.

Suh is/would be a hugh component for Spags D.

EDIT: Should Suh falter at the combine or his pro-day (not sure if he is going to the combine) that could change things fairly quickly

Edited by keggerz

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 20, 2010 6:31 PM ET

Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh is going to the Rams with the first pick in most NFL mock drafts, including our own. But with two months to go before the draft, there's plenty of time for plenty of discussion of other potential landing spaces.

Today's discussion centers on Tampa Bay, where Chris Steuber of Scout.com reports that the Buccaneers' infatuation with Suh could lead them to trade up with the Rams and take Suh first overall. Per Steuber, the trade could involve the Bucs sending quarterback Josh Johnson to the Rams, along with the Bucs' first-round pick (No. 3 overall) and another pick as well.

Of course, that raises the question of who the Rams would take with the third overall pick. If the Rams don't take Suh, they'd be expected to take a quarterback, most likely Oklahoma's Sam Bradford. But if they're going to take Bradford, why would they be so intent on acquiring Johnson?

Meanwhile, PewterReport.com has been hearing that there's no way the Buccaneers will trade up with the Rams because the Bucs don't want to be saddled with the enormous contract that the first overall pick will command.

So for now the smart money is on the Rams taking Suh first overall. But with two months to go before the draft, there's still plenty of time for that to change.

From PFT

That's why I think this rumor is just a reach by a bored media.

The Rams are looking to cut Bulger to save money. In order to do that, they're going to need a QB to start until Bradford is ready. Remember, they were rumored a few weeks back as being interested in Mike Vick. Johnson would be about as close as you could get to a VIck type QB. They are looking for a cheap alternative to Bulger and for the QB of the future. Those aren't exactly secrets.

I do agree with the post in one respect. Nobody wants to pay the #1 pick, and I'm sure this includes Tampa Bay. That would be the major factor in any hesitancy. To say that it doesn't make sense and it is just media boredom bringing this on is drastically unerestimating this rumor. Will it get done? Who knows, but it certainly has some legs, and both sides certainly have some interest here. I spoke with John Clayton about this and Seahawks draft issues Saturday morning. You can take it however you'd like.

Edited by Seahawks21

I will be extremely shocked if the Rams don't stay at 1 and take Suh.

Suh is/would be a hugh component for Spags D.

EDIT: Should Suh falter at the combine or his pro-day (not sure if he is going to the combine) that could change things fairly quickly

Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, expected by many to be the first overall player selected in this year's NFL draft, will participate in all of the workouts at the NFL combine in Indianapolis, which begins next week.

Per ESPN

Personally, I hope that Suh goes to the Lions but I'm sure that won't work out. :wacko:

i could see why the rams would be reluctant to stay there and grab suh...with all the money they have tied to long and carriker....who appear to be busts....but suh is just a different animal....there just hasnt been a d lineman prospect, in the last 20 years, who has dominated games like this guy.....you never see defensive lineman leading a team in tackles....double teams....dont matter.....this kid is an animal....and im laughing at todd mcshays speculation that if both teams stand pat that they would opt for mccoy over suh....it probably wouldnt be a bad move to trade down....espcially if they could trade down twice....but i theyd be making a big mistake if they were worried about their recent busts on the dline and the money they have tied up there

i could see why the rams would be reluctant to stay there and grab suh...with all the money they have tied to long and carriker....who appear to be busts....but suh is just a different animal....there just hasnt been a d lineman prospect, in the last 20 years, who has dominated games like this guy.....

"Big Duddy" Wilkenson. People said all the things about him they're saying about Suh now.

But that said, trading down would make no sense for STL. Freeman is not likely legit and so they have him and.....who? Okung? A much lesser DT?

suh is the best non-QB draft prospect I can remember. guy is a friggin monster. if the rams really aren't completely sold on the guy, some other team is going to get very, very lucky.

That other team would be the Lions. And I can't remember the last time the word lucky was used to describe them.

"Big Duddy" Wilkenson. People said all the things about him they're saying about Suh now.

But that said, trading down would make no sense for STL. Freeman is not likely legit and so they have him and.....who? Okung? A much lesser DT?

wilkinson was a little different....first off he has about 30lbs on suh and relied much more on sheer size....different type of guy really....and as a big of a force as he was at ohio state...he still didnt have the impact that suh has had....you never see a defensive lineman lead a team in tackles....that is insane.....i hear you though....wilkinson was probably the last guy that was talked about this much

heres a pretty good analysis from kc joyner

One of the rarest things to find in a defensive player is the ability to dominate a game. In seven seasons of breaking down NFL games, I have seen multiple skill position players carry their teams, but in that time I have seen only two defensive players -- Dwight Freeney in 2003 and Jason Taylor in 2006 -- impact the game like the Tom Bradys and Peyton Mannings of the world.

After looking at tape from six games of Ndamukong Suh's season (vs. Texas Tech, vs. Iowa State, vs. Oklahoma, at Kansas, vs. Kansas State and at Colorado), I can now add a collegiate-level defender to that list. To say that his performance in these games was superb doesn't even do it justice.

To illustrate the specifics, let's start with running game. The fifty runs directed at Suh's Point of Attack (POA) gained a meager 116 yards, or only 2.3 yards per attempt. That is impressive enough -- but Suh also won 18 of the POA blocks. That equates to an outstanding 35.3% POA win rate overall, but it gets even better when the 23 double-team blocks are taken out of the equation. Suh won 14 of 32 POA blocks when single teamed, which equates to a ridiculously high 43.8% one-on-one POA win rate.

It didn't even matter what kind of run teams directed at him. He won seven of the nineteen slant play POA blocks and six of the fifteen counter play POA blocks. Iowa State got the bright idea to try to trap him but he won two of the four trap POA blocks and the Cyclones ended up gaining only four yards on those runs.

As lights out as his run totals were, it was his consistent impact against the pass that stood out the most. To get a sense of just how great Suh was here, consider the splash play totals of the two other defensive tackles covered in the Draft Lab series up to this point (splash plays being defined as when a defender does something to negatively impact a passing play). Gerald McCoy had 10 splash plays in five games and Marvin Austin had three splash plays in five games; both ended up getting TFS Draft Lab seals of approval.

Suh had 25 splash plays in his six games, or double the combined total of McCoy and Austin over a 10-game period. As insanely impressive as the overall total is, what was most amazing was Suh's per game consistency in this metric. He posted three splash plays against Texas Tech, four against Iowa State, five against Oklahoma, two against Kansas, five against Kansas State and six against Colorado.

The overall splash play numbers are great, but it also worth noting that ten of them came against some form of a double or triple team. That indicates Suh can beat multiple blockers but the fifteen single-blocking splash plays he racked up proves it is simply foolhardy to attempt to keep him out of the backfield with one blocker.

Suh also had an impact on special teams with two blocked field goals and a blocked point after touchdown attempt.

That should be enough, but my scouting eye also noted that -- believe it or not -- Suh may actually have some untapped upside potential as a pass rusher. He has a good swim move but he leans on the bull rush very heavily. It's almost as if he wants to do the bull move every time out and then decides to add a couple of extra moves on the fly if the bull isn't working. A guy like Albert Haynesworth can get away with that type of approach in the NFL because he's 6-foot-5 and 350 pounds. Suh is 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds, which is big in real life but isn't overwhelming for a pro defensive tackle. Suh will need to learn mastery of other pass rush moves, but when he does that he'll be even better than he is today.

The Football Scientist Lab Result: Suh is hands down the best player I have graded in the Draft Lab series. It is said that this is one of the deepest defensive line drafts in NFL history and the metrics say Suh is head and shoulders above his positional competition. He should be the No. 1 pick in the draft and, if I had a vote, I would nominate him for the Heisman Trophy without hesitation. He easily gets a TFS seal of approval.

either:

A. He knows John

or

B. He talked to him on a radio call-in show

:wacko:

haha actually a little bit of both. I first met him working as a guinea pig at the Tacoma News Tribune. He actually lives on the next block down from me. We're both joggers so I chat with him cordially every so often on the path, and during the spring I see him quite a bit at the driving range, and he hits me up when he needs golf equipment advice. LIttle does he know that I moved there specifically to stalk him! I've been calling into his radio show for about three years now. I told him one day that I was one of the guys calling, and he said he enjoyed my calls and I should keep calling, so how can I argue with that? I'm sure he says it to all the guys.

He does a 3-hour show every saturday, and he takes at least two hours worth of calls every weekend. It is a little Seahawks heavy, but not as much as you'd might think. He hits on just about everything NFL related, and has a few regular callers that are Saints, Raiders, Bears and VIkings fans. Some of you guys that are craving NFL stuff might want to find it on the net. I think the live feed is on mynorthwest.com. He just goes over tons of stuff and breaks a bunch of stories, like this Rams/Bucs story. It isn't like most talk-radio you hear nowadays. He doesn't have any kind of annoying co-host, he doesn't play stupid radio games or go on big rants about meaningless topics. It is baslcally a weekly "pick John Clayton's brain" show.