[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A non-political thread

Jimmy Neutron

So - the wife and I have identified two homes we are interested in here in California. We like them for different reasons and have a decision to make. I will outline the choices below and would love your input.

1. 5 BR 3 BA 3400 sq ft home on 2 acres with pool/spa built in '75. This home is barely two miles from work and in a really beautiful, wooded neighborhood. Advantages - kids all get their own rooms - more common living space - pool/spa - large lot. Downsides - older home, large deck needs repairs, roof needs new ridge cap and who knows what else down the road. The home interior is very nice and needs nothing other than eventual bathroom remodels. The real downside here is that the schools in this area are in kind of scary looking areas. They look pretty ghetto. They rate a 7 out of 10 on the CA ranking system.

2. Nice, newer home (1999) - 4 BR 2 BA 2,100 sq ft home on half an acre - no pool or spa. This home is in terrific shape and is move in ready. Backyard backs up to green belt and has large covered patio. Advantages - nearby schools score 9 out of 10 on same scale. Home is in very upscale neighborhood - really nice. Little likelyhood of major repairs in the near future. Disadvangtages - 2 of 4 kids will have to share a room - causes a lot of friction. Also very little common space - just one great room that would be family tv room/relaxing room/piano... This home is more expensive, but not a ton. Another possible disadvantage is that our kids would be going to school with a bunch of rich kids - we aren't rich. :D

The option we're leaning toward is home #1 and running the kids to better schools across town. This would be downright dreadful - 4 kids going to 3 different schools. Tons of running around. Is it worth it? :wacko:

Will be buying (seller provides) a home warranty with either home.

TIA

I am glad to hear you are considering moving to California. Please let me know when you plan to arrive so that I can meet you at the border and confiscate your guns. TIA.

(I kid). Seriously, what area of the Golden State are you looking at? We can always use another taxpayer!

I am glad to hear you are considering moving to California. Please let me know when you plan to arrive so that I can meet you at the border and confiscate your guns. TIA.

(I kid). Seriously, what area of the Golden State are you looking at? We can always use another taxpayer!

We're moving to the Redding area. I'm already paying CA income tax - ouch!

Go with option 2 and send a couple of the kids out to the greenbelt with a tent. :D

My youngest daugher is already very freaked about option #1 - there are bears and mountain lions in the area. She wants to keep a shotgun by the pool. :wacko:

Interesting choice and some of it will depend on the ages of the kids. If they're going to live miles away from school, wouldn't this be an issue with developing relationships with other kids at the school? That said, you don't want them going to school with a bunch of thugs on the one hand or rich kids on the other. The latter are sometimes worse than the former.

I think your plan is sound despite the logistical nightmare of ferrying them around - the bigger home will guarantee you aren't forced to move later on account of space and by all means try running them across to other schools.

What does a school rating of 7 out 10 mean? Is 5 average or is, say, 8 average?

To me it actually seems like your decision depends a lot on the kids. I think I would consider getting their input too and laying out the pros and cons of each house. Do NOT let them feel that they have the final say on anything, but I think it would be useful to get their input.

What does a school rating of 7 out 10 mean? Is 5 average or is, say, 8 average?

To me it actually seems like your decision depends a lot on the kids. I think I would consider getting their input too and laying out the pros and cons of each house. Do NOT let them feel that they have the final say on anything, but I think it would be useful to get their input.

That's exactly what we're doing. Just got off the phone with the Mrs (there's actually just the one :wacko: ) and we'll probably bring them out over their spring break the week after next. That way they can see both homes if they are still available (should be - homes at that price point are moving slowly) and the corresponding schools.

Not sure on the ranking system - the website is very non-descript. There are also a number of public charter schools around here that we're looking into. We were looking to simplify after the move, but it looks more and more like we'll be running around town every bit as much as we do now... meh - it's only time and money - right?

That's exactly what we're doing. Just got off the phone with the Mrs (there's actually just the one :wacko: ) and we'll probably bring them out over their spring break the week after next. That way they can see both homes if they are still available (should be - homes at that price point are moving slowly) and the corresponding schools.

Not sure on the ranking system - the website is very non-descript. There are also a number of public charter schools around here that we're looking into. We were looking to simplify after the move, but it looks more and more like we'll be running around town every bit as much as we do now... meh - it's only time and money - right?

Can't you force one of your spawn-of-driving-age to courier the others about in exchange for driving privileges? Redding ain't *that* big a place.

Interesting choice and some of it will depend on the ages of the kids. If they're going to live miles away from school, wouldn't this be an issue with developing relationships with other kids at the school? That said, you don't want them going to school with a bunch of thugs on the one hand or rich kids on the other. The latter are sometimes worse than the former.

I think your plan is sound despite the logistical nightmare of ferrying them around - the bigger home will guarantee you aren't forced to move later on account of space and by all means try running them across to other schools.

+1

I have 2 girls and 2 boys, ages 6G, 8B, 14G,16B. 4 bedrooms have the girls bunking together right now, which is only recently becoming an issue. If your kids are closer in age, it may work better? I bunked with my bro for 16 years, but we were only 2-1/2 yrs apart.

My home sounds a lot like the second option you have, smaller lot, nice neighborhood, good school system (minus the California cost of living!) ... but the wife would like more land and another bedroom. We're sitting still for now, there are 200 homes in the immediate area and 300 children. As much as the kids say they want a pool, big yard, etc the proximity to their friends is very nice.

Tough choices. I'd almost be inclined to punt and look a little more. I know the travel is hard on you, but perhaps a couple of extra months is worth the stress.

Tough choices. I'd almost be inclined to punt and look a little more. I know the travel is hard on you, but perhaps a couple of extra months is worth the stress.

+1

with all the houses on the market, and the price of homes dramatically in your favor....

isn't the best of everything somewhere out there?

I would think 7/10 isn't bad. pretty good, actually. at least worth checking out a little more. I don't think I'd want to cram a family your size into a 2100 ft2 home.

I agree about the home size but I'd take that 7/10 with a HUGH pinch of salt. Who knows what the scale is based on? Only three murders a year and you get a 7? 50% passing grade?

+1

with all the houses on the market, and the price of homes dramatically in your favor....

isn't the best of everything somewhere out there?

Great point.

I would think 7/10 isn't bad. pretty good, actually. at least worth checking out a little more. I don't think I'd want to cram a family your size into a 2100 ft2 home.

That was my thought. My wife and I share a 2300 ft one which is certainly more than we need, but not 3x more! Plus, I would imagine that kids take up more virtual room than adults.

That was my thought. My wife and I share a 2300 ft one which is certainly more than we need, but not 3x more! Plus, I would imagine that kids take up more virtual room than adults.

another solid point.

We have four kids, and live in a home with 2950 sf (including our finished basement). 4 BR, 2.5 baths. The boys (age 10 & 6) share a bedroom, and they are bursting at the seems for drawer and closet space (which will only get worse as they get older since their clothes will, by default, be bigger and bulkier). Add on their toys/electronics/other stuff, and the room is packed.

As your kids demand more personal space as they get older, 2100 sf may not offer much.

As you make your decision, think about what your family will look like in 3-5 years...their needs may be dramatically different than what they are today.

Thanks for the input - I appreciate it.

We are continuing our search - the two homes are just the ones currently at the top of the list and likely represent other homes we may chose from.

I won't have a kid driving solo for 3 years, so we'll be running them around.

We are leaning toward the bigger, older home. As some have said, you can't add space as you come to really need it. That home offers a bit more opportunity to appreciate, IMO - we can really make it shine. That area also offers a lot of opportunity for service - my wife thinks that area needs us. :wacko:

Our realtor thinks we're nuts for not making an offer on the other place immediately. He's really in love with the view and the schools, but he's never lived with our kids in close quarters. :D

Our realtor thinks we're nuts for not making an offer on the other place immediately. He's really in love with the view and the schools, but he's never lived with our kids in close quarters. :wacko:

Your realtor is in love with the larger commission. :D

That said, you don't want them going to school with a bunch of thugs on the one hand or rich kids on the other. The latter are sometimes worse than the former.

What are you talking about? Access to cocaine should be a fundamental right of all high school students.