[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Medicaid denies life-saving surgery...

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI84140/

MIAMI (WSVN) -- A South Florida mother has been denied surgery that could possibly save her life.

Diana Smith, 28, was diagnosed with leukemia last July and was supposed to receive a bone marrow transplant on Tuesday at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

In February, the community helped Smith raise over $133,000 for the transplant, however, when JMH needed Medicaid to sign off on the procedure to cover any unexpected fees, Medicaid said Smith's income was too high to qualify, and therefore canceled the bone marrow transplant because Smith was receiving money from social security to assist her and her son Cameron. "I offered it back to them, and they said, it's too late at this point, don't know where else to turn to, and I'm out of time," said Smith.

Local politicians are now coming to her aid. "She's done so much to help herself, now it's time for the government to respond," said Senator Dave Aronberg.

Smith is extremely grateful for the community's help. "It's been tough," Smith said. "It's been tough, and I'm thankful that everybody has come to my rescue once again. Hopefully, this will bring attention to the people in Tallahassee to work with the people in the Social Security office."

Jackson Memorial Hospital's deadline is Monday at noon for the issue to be resolved, or at least give local leaders an extension on time to find a solution.

See, here society at large helped this woman get her transplant and where was the government in her time of need... freaking death panels denying her treatment. :wacko:

So her own insurance would cover her expenses, and she raised over $130,000 (well over their goal of $40,000) to cover the donor's expenses, I don't understand why Medicaid is even involved in the equation at all, let alone having veto power over the entire operation. :wacko:

Guys, this isn't new news. Medicaid is the STATE RUN health insurance program for the poor. It is NOT run by the FEDERAL GOV'T.

If you have a problem with this, it's the state of Florida you have a problem with.

I hate florida.

Guys, this isn't new news. Medicaid is the STATE RUN health insurance program for the poor. It is NOT run by the FEDERAL GOV'T.

If you have a problem with this, it's the state of Florida you have a problem with.

Isn't Medicaid administered by the state and partially funded by the sates, but doesn't the federal government also mandate certain actions and provide partial funding?

This is just plain wrong

Gay Day of Silence a Waste of Tax Dollars, Critics Say

Thousands of public schools are planning to allow students affiliated with a gay and lesbian advocacy group to sponsor an anti-bullying "Day of Silence" on Friday, but family organizations say the demonstration is a disruptive waste of taxpayer dollars and are calling for families to pull their kids out of school.

and this is just the beginning

REPORT: 60 Hospitals Cancelled Due to New Health Law...

This is just plain wrong

Gay Day of Silence a Waste of Tax Dollars, Critics Say

Thousands of public schools are planning to allow students affiliated with a gay and lesbian advocacy group to sponsor an anti-bullying "Day of Silence" on Friday, but family organizations say the demonstration is a disruptive waste of taxpayer dollars and are calling for families to pull their kids out of school.

and this is just the beginning

Were these gay hospitals?

That is doctor owned hospitals. I know of at least two that have canceled projects that would each run about $80 Million that were not doctor owned. Those are just projects I knew the specifics on, one of which I was almost assured of getting. Seeing as building medical facilities makes up 30-35% of my business I'm not real happy with anyone who supported Obama are any liberals in congress.

Define gay hospital

We must quickly ban all gays from going to hospitals!!! They'll have them all decorated with rainbow flags and such... Not just that but think of the children, what will they think when they see grown men running around in hot pants, with boas around their necks, and the bears wearing, gasp, paisley print shirts!!! My god, the humanity!!!!!

Isn't Medicaid administered by the state and partially funded by the sates, but doesn't the federal government also mandate certain actions and provide partial funding?

The federal government gives block funding to states to do whatever they want to with it, essentially. So there's a block for safety net programs, like insurance for the poor. The eligibility rules and benefits of medicaid vary widely state to state, as it is considered within their purview to administer it. Block funding has been around for over 20 years. States have to provide a safety net, but how many holes it has in it is up to the state.

When I have a minute to get more detail I'll send it along.

Edited by Czarina