[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I need a new lawnmower

buddahj

Most of you know our mower was stolen a few weeks back. I'm now in the market for one. I'm looking for a self-propelled walk behind & looking to spend between $200-$400. Our yard is fairly small & flat. I've looked online, but not really sure what to get. We had a Toro (neighbor sold it to us for $75). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Most of you know our mower was stolen a few weeks back. I'm now in the market for one. I'm looking for a self-propelled walk behind & looking to spend between $200-$400. Our yard is fairly small & flat. I've looked online, but not really sure what to get. We had a Toro (neighbor sold it to us for $75). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:wacko:

I had a Cub Cadet walk behind that I ended up giving to my BIL. 6.75 HP. That thing was a tank, nothing stopped it. Spring the extra 20 bucks or so for the swivel front wheels no matter what brand you get. They make a hugh difference.

I have a self-propelled Toro and I really like it. It has what they call the "Personal Pace" system which basically means it will assist with the propel according to how much pressure you are putting on the handle. It is light and manuevers well. Always starts first or second pull. Easy to change the oil and the bag snaps on and off easily. I think I paid about $350 for mine a few years back. I believe this is the model I have.

Hope that helps

I bought a cheap Honda a few years ago and it's been great. It replaced a Honda commercial mower that my dad handed down to me - it ran for 18 years. The $400 version I have now is not as good as the commercial model, but it gets the job done and I take comfort in knowing I have a Honda motor onboard. Motors seem to be the weak link in most walk-behinds.

I have a self-propelled Toro and I really like it. It has what they call the "Personal Pace" system which basically means it will assist with the propel according to how much pressure you are putting on the handle. It is light and manuevers well. Always starts first or second pull. Easy to change the oil and the bag snaps on and off easily. I think I paid about $350 for mine a few years back. I believe this is the model I have.

Hope that helps

The exact model I have and it works great. Always starts the first pull

Buddah, if you have the money, buy the Honda. That being said, if $100 is a big difference for you (would be for me) then the Toro, Scotts or Cub cadets with Briggs engines are nearly as good. I'd personally stay away from the Techumsah engines. They do tend to put more power out for their size but have to have more service/tuning to keep it. FWIW

Buddah, if you have the money, buy the Honda. That being said, if $100 is a big difference for you (would be for me) then the Toro, Scotts or Cub cadets with Briggs engines are nearly as good. I'd personally stay away from the Techumsah engines. They do tend to put more power out for their size but have to have more service/tuning to keep it. FWIW

I have had the opposite experiences. Any Briggs engines I had turned out to be lemons rather quickly and the Techumeh engines showed to be more reliable.

Our Lawn Boy is weak......the neighbor has a honda that goes thru tall grass in one swipe and it looks totally perfect

i remember when my parents had a lawnboy when i was growing up. that offset wheel was horsesh1t and the fuel/oil mixture smelled like arse.

Edited by dmarc117

I have had the opposite experiences. Any Briggs engines I had turned out to be lemons rather quickly and the Techumeh engines showed to be more reliable.

Admittedly, I've only had one experience with a techumseh and it was a PITA. And you're talking to a guy who kept a 30-y/o briggs pusher running for 5 years. :wacko:

Enjoy the Toro, budda. They're fine machines.

I'm looking and need to get a new mower this week too. I grew up with a father that was meticulous about his lawn and he owned a California Trimmer for as long as I can remember. I have been looking on Craigslist for a CT but haven't found one to my liking yet. Excluding the CT I have narrowed my choices down to 3 ..... A John Deere 22", self propelled model on sale for $349.00 at Lowes, a Craftsman with a 190cc briggs and stratton engine with a "key" start for $339.00 and a Crftsman 160cc with a Honda engine for $349.00. I would prefer to go with the more reliable and quieter Honda engine but I like the idea of the key start. Has anyone had experience with a key start mower? Thoughts? I also like the JD mower as it seems to be built better than the Craftsman mower and the name has been a well known and respected name. Interested in hearing some opinions on these ......

I have had a Honda mower for 16 years. I have never had the blades sharpened, changed the oil, or had it tuned up. It has never been serviced. I can't kill the thing.

If you don't sharpen the blades, you are ripping the grass, not cutting it. Ripped grass gets a brownish appearance. The tops turn brown. But. if you haven't even changed the oil.... I doubt you care much.

Stay away from Briggs and Stratton engines.

One thing to look at is HP and blade tip speed. Most homeowner machines don't have the blade tip speed for a good cut. Craftsmans don't allow for changing the speed or engine RPM's. Hondas, Toros and some LawnBoys are very good.

I'm looking and need to get a new mower this week too. I grew up with a father that was meticulous about his lawn and he owned a California Trimmer for as long as I can remember. I have been looking on Craigslist for a CT but haven't found one to my liking yet. Excluding the CT I have narrowed my choices down to 3 ..... A John Deere 22", self propelled model on sale for $349.00 at Lowes, a Craftsman with a 190cc briggs and stratton engine with a "key" start for $339.00 and a Crftsman 160cc with a Honda engine for $349.00. I would prefer to go with the more reliable and quieter Honda engine but I like the idea of the key start. Has anyone had experience with a key start mower? Thoughts? I also like the JD mower as it seems to be built better than the Craftsman mower and the name has been a well known and respected name. Interested in hearing some opinions on these ......

Ever try to start a Honda? Key start would be a non-issue for me. :wacko:

For under $400 you will have to go rotary and not reel. Toro, Hondas,John Deere and Husquavarna are what we use at the course for all rotary applications. Riding or push. You can get a self propelled rotary right around $340-$400 @ Lowes/Home Depot by all those makers at that price point, less for the Husky which we've had no problem with ever. And ease of deck height changing is friggin' key.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

If you don't sharpen the blades, you are ripping the grass, not cutting it. Ripped grass gets a brownish appearance. The tops turn brown. But. if you haven't even changed the oil.... I doubt you care much.

Stay away from Briggs and Stratton engines.

One thing to look at is HP and blade tip speed. Most homeowner machines don't have the blade tip speed for a good cut. Craftsmans don't allow for changing the speed or engine RPM's. Hondas, Toros and some LawnBoys are very good.

Where do you find out about blade tip speed? I've never seen it in the specs or comparisons?

Self-propelled "walk-behind" mowers are for old people with hilly lawns or pussilies.

I have a Bolens (MTD makes it, Cleveland based). I think it costs about $125 in 2001. It is a push mower with big rear wheels and a bagger. Basic mower.

I have had no problems. I change the oil, sharpen or buy a new blade every year (they're about $10-$15), and clean the air filter when it needs it.

In that time, one neighbor has gone through a Toro personal pace and another has a cub cadet (yellow?). The damn wheel bushings are SOFT metal, not heat treated. The metal stamping that sets the height of the cut is too thin a gauge for the application (and it is probably not tempered steel, either.) When the bushing wears, you get less control over the heigth of cut, the wheel is sloppy. The consumer stuff is garbage, which is why I spent as little money on it as necessary.

Self-propelled "walk-behind" mowers are for old people with hilly lawns

That's me :wacko:

Does anyone have a John Deere, self-propelled, mower. I am leaning that way as they look like they are very well made. I wish I could find a well maintained California Trimmer that doesn't have too many "lawns" in it's past as I love the way that mower cuts. I know my Dad would be smiling down on me if I purchased one of those.

Where do you find out about blade tip speed? I've never seen it in the specs or comparisons?

You would have to email the manufacturer for blade tip speed. Better yet, get the Consumer's Report on mowers. Husquavarna makes some very good mowers, and real chit mowers. Same for Lawn Boy. Same for John Deere's. Their commercial machines are good.... the retail machines in Lowes and HD generally are not. Never buy a Craftsman. You can't go by brand name, it's about model numbers.

Get a steel deck, a Jap engine, and unless you have hills or are a lazy azz, don't get a self propelled mower. Less stuff to break down, just like getting a pull start over a key start. Life is not simple. Mowing a lawn is simple, keep it that way. This isn't a power window vs a roll down auto window issue.... it's s freakin lawn mower. Pull starts are more reliable. Fewer parts.

That's me :wacko:

Does anyone have a John Deere, self-propelled, mower. I am leaning that way as they look like they are very well made. I wish I could find a well maintained California Trimmer that doesn't have too many "lawns" in it's past as I love the way that mower cuts. I know my Dad would be smiling down on me if I purchased one of those.

I have a JD Self propelled that is a hand me down from my in-laws. It's lasted a very long time. Instead of fixing it up, I've gotten some canadian contraption with a Honda engine. That works ok. But I have a large mowing area so I finally got a JD Rider this year. I have 4 push mowers. which is 3 too many to have around. Two have Honda engines, one is the JD, and the other is the cheapest thing you can find from a guy that failed to sell on a garage sale. You can buy that cheap one new for $50 (Not sure about today's market) but I'd be happy to sell it for zero.