[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Legendary Classic Rock compilation

AtomicCEO

I think that Bill Haley, Chuck Berry, and early Beatles are too old school... and I think that Clash, Punk, Metal stuff is too new school for what I'm aiming for.

Yet, somehow I think Bob Marley does belong because I'm a dirty hippie.

And I hate the Beach Boys. I just don't get it.

I got ya...so just basically copycat white people that play 3 chords and ripped off the earlier black people that invented real rock and roll music? Gotcha.

Edited by TimC

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my only problem with your list is that you left OFF a lot of people who "really defined or redirected the musical landscape in some fashion or other" far more than many you included.

Well All Knowing One, please edumacate us.

Well All Knowing One, please edumacate us.

well the most glaring omission (that looking back at your list now I see you edited to fix) was dylan. that stood out like a sore thumb when you first posted it. adding him and joplin makes the list better. there are still people like bowie, velvet underground, neil young, CSN, fleetwood mac...but most of those are somewhat debatable. and I'm not trying to get in a pissing match here, but I guess I would still say your list seems tailored toward your tastes in the later prog rock and early metal stuff. if you're going to go back to chuck berry and elvis, then there's about 30 other names (at least) from that era that are far more relevant than deep purple or someone like that. I guess if you just knock those early pioneers off the list to keep it 60s and 70s like atomic first asked, there's not much to complain about, aside from the fact that I hate rush and don't really think of SRV as a rock "innovator" (just someone who belongs on guitarist lists).

I don't see anywhere where Atomic asked for a list of rock innovators. Just a list of Classic Rock that would be a good starting point for someone new to the genre.

A lot of great songs. I love music from that era, although I don't think of all of it as "Rock" music (Dylan for example). Anyway, just thought I'd mention Dream On by Aerosmith.

I don't see anywhere where Atomic asked for a list of rock innovators. Just a list of Classic Rock that would be a good starting point for someone new to the genre.

Clarifying question:

Do you want great classic rock songs ... or ... do you want the classic songs from the biggest classic rock artists?

For example, do you want "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty (1978) or do you want "Foreplay/Longitme" by Boston (1976)?

I have seen no suggestions for anything like:

Steppenwolf --- Born to be Wild ... or ... Magic Carpet Ride

Guess Who --- American Woman

The Byrds --- Turn, Turn, Turn (possibly ghey)

Yardbirds --- Dazed and Confused ... or ... Over Under Sideways Down ... or ... For Your Love

Pink Floyd - Us and Them Another Brick in the Wall

- This kills me, I think Us and Them is way more representative of Floyd's sound, but I know Brick in the Wall is probably more legendary.

One thing I've been thinking about regarding this is that if your kids are at all interested in music, they're gonna find Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall on their own; for Floyd, I'd probably give 'em a gem from Meddle or Animals

Same with Rush or The Doors - you can't help but end up hearing "Riders on the Storm" at some point, but "The Wasp" or "Peace Frog"? Not so much.

yeah, that's why I tossed out something like "whiter shade of pale". but kid offered innovation as his own criteria, and I was responding to that. maybe you haven't noticed but sometimes topics stray slightly at the huddle. :wacko:

I have seen no suggestions for anything like:

Steppenwolf --- Born to be Wild ... or ... Magic Carpet Ride

Guess Who --- American Woman

The Byrds --- Turn, Turn, Turn (possibly ghey)

Yardbirds --- Dazed and Confused ... or ... Over Under Sideways Down ... or ... For Your Love

not bad, but those also made me think of "california dreamin" by the mamas and the papas, which has to be one of my favorite pop songs ever.

I think you gotta go with about 3-4 songs from a handful of bands. And I'm working strictly from like 67-77. My list would look something like this (alphabetically from my Itunes library):

Al Green - I'm Still in Love With You > I'm Glad You're Mine > Let's Stay Together

Allman Brothers - Jessica > Blue Sky > Little Martha

Beatles - Abbey Road > White Album > Let It Be (Beatles are just too special to isolate one or a handful of songs)

Bob Dylan - Man of Constant Sorrow > Subterranean Homesick Blues > Maggie's Farm (Live, Bootleg Series Vol 7) > It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

CCR - Long As I Can See the Light > Effigy > Susie Q (I'm not the biggest CCR fan, but these 3 songs are great)

CSNY - Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (Live, Woodstock)

Grateful Dead - The Eleven>Alligator > China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider > Eyes of The World > Terrapin Station

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters (Album)

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin II > Led Zeppelin III > Led Zeppelin IV (Like the Beatles, to special to isolate a handful of songs)

Neil Young - After the Goldrush > Harvest > Everybody Knows This is Nowhere > Neil Young (Again, too many to isolate)

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (too hard to choose only one song from this great album)

Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knocking > Sweet Black Angel > Sympathy for the Devil

Sly and the Family Stone - Family Affair > If You Want Me To Stay > You Can Make it if You Try

Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke > Boogie On Reggae Woman > I Wish > Do I Do (if only because of Dizzy Gillespie)

That's all I got. I'm sure I'm missing some but that's all I have on my Itunes that follows the criteria.