[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deer Stands

Perchoutofwater

I'm about to have a lot more time on my hands than I would really like to have, so I'm going to build a deer stand. I've built a couple before, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or pointers that you would want in a deer stand. It will be a box stand that is slightly elevated. It will be big enough for two people (so I can take the kids with me). Prior to picking where I was going to put it I considered using 2x2 framing in lieu of 2x4 but our lease is out near Abilene so it gets pretty windy, and I'm putting the stand up on the side a good sized hill. So while using 2x2 would make putting the thing together in the field a lot easier (lighter) I'm afraid due to high winds it isn't that practical. Anyway I'll probably start building next week, and was just looking for any ideas or suggestions. I know I'm going to carpet the entire interior. I'm also going to insulate the stand either with batt insulation or preferably with syrofoam board insulation (depends on what I can get for free). I'm probably gong to get what amounts to a galvanized drip pan and turn it upside down and use it for roofing materials. I'm going to have shutters that fold up on the outside and windows that fold up on the inside. I'm currently debating between plexiglass and tempered glass. The plexiglass will be cheaper and easier to work with, but it tends to turn milky over a long period of time. I'll probably make it about 4 to 5 feet off the ground with stair. I'm considering building a bench in it. We typically use office chairs in them. Anyway I'm just looking for any suggestions y'all might have. Things you would want or things you would want to avoid.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I'm about to have a lot more time on my hands than I would really like to have, so I'm going to build a deer stand. I've built a couple before, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or pointers that you would want in a deer stand. It will be a box stand that is slightly elevated. It will be big enough for two people (so I can take the kids with me). Prior to picking where I was going to put it I considered using 2x2 framing in lieu of 2x4 but our lease is out near Abilene so it gets pretty windy, and I'm putting the stand up on the side a good sized hill. So while using 2x2 would make putting the thing together in the field a lot easier (lighter) I'm afraid due to high winds it isn't that practical. Anyway I'll probably start building next week, and was just looking for any ideas or suggestions. I know I'm going to carpet the entire interior. I'm also going to insulate the stand either with batt insulation or preferably with syrofoam board insulation (depends on what I can get for free). I'm probably gong to get what amounts to a galvanized drip pan and turn it upside down and use it for roofing materials. I'm going to have shutters that fold up on the outside and windows that fold up on the inside. I'm currently debating between plexiglass and tempered glass. The plexiglass will be cheaper and easier to work with, but it tends to turn milky over a long period of time. I'll probably make it about 4 to 5 feet off the ground with stair. I'm considering building a bench in it. We typically use office chairs in them. Anyway I'm just looking for any suggestions y'all might have. Things you would want or things you would want to avoid.

I've always wanted to build one, but since I don't deer hunt I never did. A buddy of mine built one, 5X5 roughly, used cheap single hung windows, put a bench/box in it where he could put a cooler and snacks inside while he sat on the box. I'm pretty sure he used 2X4 framing on it. He put heavy casters on it that were removable with the pull of a pin (basically the thing is on stilts, bored into the, I believe, 6x6 posts that held the box in the air and insertd the casters into that and the pin, of course went through horizontally). Roof was shingled.

A deer stand huh? Why not just take your motorhome?

You should hunt deer the way God intended.... one on one bare handed. See how good of a hunter you really are... and just think of what kind of role model you would be for your kids. :wacko:

A deer stand.... sheeeeesh.... what a cheesy way to hunt. I thought better of you.

You should hunt deer the way God intended.... one on one bare handed. See how good of a hunter you really are... and just think of what kind of role model you would be for your kids. :wacko:

A deer stand.... sheeeeesh.... what a cheesy way to hunt. I thought better of you.

Momma doesn't like to get naked in nature, but you put up a couple of plywood walls, and she is good to go. Seriously I like stalking myself, but my little girls would rather sit in a stand.

Jeebus, insulation, carpet? Why don't you just open the bedroom window and hang the shotgun out the windows and tell the boys to come watch this.

Tip: Make sure the pointy end is pointing outside.

Momma doesn't like to get naked in nature, but you put up a couple of plywood walls, and she is good to go. Seriously I like stalking myself, but my little girls would rather sit in a stand.

Stalking of unsuspecting prey and females go hand in hand ya know. :wacko:

You need to build that think way far away from the good hunting and leave them to it. Then get out there in the good hunting areas and enjoy the hunt.

Since I moved to Texas many years ago, this is the one thing I have never been able to understand. Texas is supposed to be the bastion of the old west, cowboys and such. However, deer hunting in Texas is unlike any other place in the country, at least that I've ever seen. You have a stand that is all of the things that Perch is building: carpeted, insulated, sliding windows, comfy chairs, etc. 50-150 yards from the stand you usually have feeders that have solar powered timers on them so they go off just after dawn and right before dusk so the deer get used to being fed. Once deer season opens, you beat the deer out there by an hour, wait til the feeder goes off and 5 minutes later have your pick of things to shoot.

I'll do it every now and again for some meat, but I definitely wouldn't call it hunting.

IMO, Rule #1 with deer stands is safety so I would say bite the bullet, go with the 2x4s, and build it to last. When in doubt, overdue it. I am typically in stands much higher than 4-5 feet, so saftey harnesses are much more of a concern the higher you go. But 4-5 feet off the ground is still high enough to be injured or worse in the event of a fall so I wouldnt take any chances. Its yours and your kids wellbeing so no shortcuts are worth it.

Some other things I like to have are a rope/strap secured to the stand so I can pull my rifle up(unloaded) after I get into the stand and strapped in. I put walls/shooting rails at a height that is comfortable and likely to help facilitate a good shot. In your case, you wont be as high and sounds like you'll have stairs (in lieu of a ladder) so the rope/strap is probably not as big a concern but the height of the walls definitely is something to consider.

Other than that, sounds like you have everything covered. Carpet/insulate to keep the noise down and you'd be good to go I'd think.

Edited by Delicious_bass

Since I moved to Texas many years ago, this is the one thing I have never been able to understand. Texas is supposed to be the bastion of the old west, cowboys and such. However, deer hunting in Texas is unlike any other place in the country, at least that I've ever seen. You have a stand that is all of the things that Perch is building: carpeted, insulated, sliding windows, comfy chairs, etc. 50-150 yards from the stand you usually have feeders that have solar powered timers on them so they go off just after dawn and right before dusk so the deer get used to being fed. Once deer season opens, you beat the deer out there by an hour, wait til the feeder goes off and 5 minutes later have your pick of things to shoot.

I'll do it every now and again for some meat, but I definitely wouldn't call it hunting.

A bunch of pussslies, really. Well, either that or they want to make it back to the Cowboy before halftime is over...:wacko:

It is all about the time away from work, and normal day to day life. The actual killing of a deer is secondary to the time spent with friends and family. We don't rough-it by any means. The camp itself has two full bathrooms and a full kitchen along with central heat and air. It is really more about getting out and being with nature. I'll typically go every other weekend during deer season, and about once every 4-6 week when it's not deer season, to shoot dove, quail or turkey when they are in season.

Here is the thing about the feeders, stands, and deer camps. Feeders have to be filled, stands and camps need to be maintained. Filling feeders, maintaining stands and the camp means you have to go to the deer lease. That means I have an excuse at least three times out side of deer, dove, quail, and turkey seasons to go to the lease that my wife isn't going to gripe about too much.

Also you'd be surprised at how much work goes into setting up stand and feeders. Hunting out of a blind with feeders actually requires more time and effort than does stalking, just at different times.

Not being smart here but do you have trees in Texas? :tup: A 15 ft 2 man ladder stand is the shizzle. Unless you're hugh you can sit you and 2 small kids in there and move it whenever, wherever you want. :wacko:

In East Texas where I live there are plenty of trees, and we use tree stands all the time. My lease out near Abilene has very few trees other then mesquite which rarely get that tall, and with all the thorns aren't that much fun to climb around in. We do have two tree stands on the lease but there just really aren't that man locations that they can be used. Plus my 8 (soon to be 9) year old daughter doesn't like the cold.

we use 16 foot 4x4 and then and a platform that is about 4x4x6 no heat but carpet to keep the feet quite.

kinda like this but not as big

we dont buy the brackets but make them...

That is about what I'm looking at doing, just not as high. I'll probably only make it about 5' high. I just want to make it high enough to see over one bushy tree that is a little down hill of it. I'm putting on the side of a large hill anyway so I'll already be able to see for a long, long ways. I won't put any heat in it either. The insulation is as much if not more for sound than it is for keeping it warm. Of course if it get real cold I'll just get a small coffee can, a roll of toilet paper, and about 1/2 a bottle of rubbing alcohol and have good little heater for about 4-6 hours.

That is about what I'm looking at doing, just not as high. I'll probably only make it about 5' high. I just want to make it high enough to see over one bushy tree that is a little down hill of it. I'm putting on the side of a large hill anyway so I'll already be able to see for a long, long ways. I won't put any heat in it either. The insulation is as much if not more for sound than it is for keeping it warm. Of course if it get real cold I'll just get a small coffee can, a roll of toilet paper, and about 1/2 a bottle of rubbing alcohol and have good little heater for about 4-6 hours.

Just get your construction company to make you one.

Jared Allen will teach ya how to hunt for real. Jumps out of stand and uses a friggin' spear. Now tha's sport!

Now that sounds like a tree stand!! My only question is why only 4 to 5 feet off of the ground? I prefer to go 15-20 feet up for better visibility for yourself and less visibility for the deer.

5 feet is all I need to see over the brush. I'm on the side of a high hill so any more is just over kill and would make it less stable.

I wish Obama would ban guns for anyone doing this. Seriously, the most pusslie thing I've ever heard. They're probably loaded with Hunting stickers too. Not only do I wish Obama would ban their guns, but beat them repeatedly with them and shove their bullets where the sun don't shine. What a bunch of pansies.

5 feet is all I need to see over the brush. I'm on the side of a high hill so any more is just over kill and would make it less stable.

Five foot off the ground in Texas is a flippin mountain!

• 2 months later...

I ended up just buying an insulated fiberglass stand that is 4x6. I had already bought the windows, and got a material quote from the lumber yard when I realized that it was going to cost me more to build what I want than to buy it. I also found the best feeder I've ever laid eyes on. I put them up Friday afternoon. Saturday night we were out spotlighting for hogs and and coons on a road about 600 yards down the hill from where I set them up, and about 200 yards down from the stand we spotlighted two hugh bucks. One of them was the biggest I've ever seen. It was a 10 point with a 20-22" spread, nice and high. The smaller one was an 8 point that was super high and had good mass but only about a 16" spread. I can't wait for deer season.

The stand I bought is similar to the "economy stand shown here"

600# Feeder