[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

QB #8

DMD

Name that QB  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the 8th best QB in a year of 7 good ones?

• CHI Jay Cutler
    • ATL Matt Ryan
    • WAS Donovan McNabb
    • BAL Joe Flacco
    • PHI Kevin Kolb
    • NYG Eli Manning

IN most drafts so far, there seems to be a consensus on the first seven picks:

(in some order)

P Manning

Brees

Rodgers

Brady

Romo

River

Schaub (usually)

Of course each comes off a pretty good 2009 season.

If you had to pick your QB next, who would it be? In leagues where QBs count more, those seven usually go first though I have seen Cutler swapped out for Schaub. Which remaining QB does the best?

Cutler - Is Martz in the Windy city really better than in SF?

Ryan - Ready for a third year breakout?

McNabb - at WAS now but can he repeat using S Moss and Devin Thomas?

Flacco - Gets Boldin, does that matter?

Kolb - takes over for McNabb but first year

Manning - Those young WRs were great last year

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Cutler with Martz calling the plays.

Eli can be up and down, Kolb is an unknown with questions on the offensive line, McNabb is in a new system with limited talent, and ATL won't throw as much as some of the other offenses. Flacco could surprise with the Boldin and Stallworth in the mix, though.

Kolb could put up better numbers than Cutler. Too bad Martz doesn't have Torry Holt. I look at the perspective of whi has the better receivers and would rate them accordingly ... so Kolb Manning and Ryan ... and you can get any of those guys much later in the draft.

Kolb's leading :wacko:

that's crazy.

Hard to believe, isn't it. It also just as difficult to believe that Carson Palmer isn't part of that list.

A Cutler/Martz matchup is a match made in FF heaven. Cutler has the brains & arm to pull off Martz' O, and he's tough enough to take the shots that come with running that wide open passing show. There's enough WR talent to pull it off. I'm not saying this is the next Greatest Show on Turf, but it's enough to make Cutler a potential top 5 FF QB.

Palmer just got 2 new weapons in Bryant and Gresham. CIN is going to run some 4 wide sets and use the no-huddle. That means Palmer is another guy who could put up big numbers with a combination of a lethal recieving corps, a TE like he's never been close to having, and potentially a lot more opportunities to throw the ball. It's no stretch whatsoever to expect him to finish as FF QB8 or better.

Kolb is being vastly over-rated. He's still on the short side of his FF learning curve and while he put up good numbers in two games, they weren't against what one would call stellar pass Ds. He also threw the ball 85 times in those two games. You extrapolate that and you're looking at a QB with 690 passing attempts in a season. There's no way PHI will throw anywhere close to that much - that's one short of an NFL record for a season. The most 1 QB has ever thrown under Reid is 571 attempts - a 17% decrease from that projected pace from Kolb's two big games. It would be reasonable top expect something in the order of a 22% decrease, +/- 3%. That means his projected numbers start to fall into average ranges when you also factor that he'll play against better pass Os and theat he'll have to play all year against teams that now have a book on him. Something else that bothers me is that the entire O skills positions are so young on that team. The talent is there, but there's a lot to be said for reliable veteran leadership or a go-to vet target.

Kolb should be a startable FF QB, but there's other guys I like better, include the two guys above as well as the guy Kolb replaced.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I would probably take Carson Palmer, too.

But, if required to take one off that list, probably Matt Ryan with McNabb a close second followed by Flacco.

BTW, I'm assuming negative points for INTs (see Cutler in a pass-happy offense and a breezy stadium).

Appearantly Andy Reid's system gets no respect. The guy is a Bill Walsh type and disciple and is great with QB's. Who knows the west coast better?

i am a reid fan and eagles fan but outside of McNabb what QBs has Reid put his fingerprint on? And don't give me Favre. With all that said I like Palmer but Kolb may have a learning curve but that curve will entail throwing the ball...a bunch.

Am I an idiot for wondering why everyone loves Martz so much? He did great with one of the most talented O's ever but since he's done nothing. Chicago's O is closer to SF's then the Rams IMO.

Some of my thoughts...

Martz is a big improvement over Ron Turner. They'll throw a lot, but his QBs also take a lot of sacks. If the WRs make progress and Cutler cuts down on the bad INTs, I think the offense can put up some big numbers. It also depends on Cutler's mental state, as he can get rattled easily.

I don't think he'll be top 5, but he's got the highest ceiling of the QBs listed.

Am I an idiot for wondering why everyone loves Martz so much? He did great with one of the most talented O's ever but since he's done nothing. Chicago's O is closer to SF's then the Rams IMO.

Exactly. I will never get the Martz love. One of the most overrated OC's ever.

If you're a gambler, go Favre. I hate QB busts so the safer Flacco for me, and with serious upside. Getting Boldin is huge. Ryan is similar.

And yes Kolb is hugely overrated.